Flysimware Cessna 414A

I use XPForce at the moment which is almost as good as it gets right now with MSFS, but if you also add FSrealistic, that adds some really good FFB effects as well. There is a free trial for this, so give it a whirl and see what you think.

1 Like

thanks. i tried XPForce a while back but it just wasn’t working well. maybe it’s been updated so I’ll give it another spin

Problem is: there’s barely any FFB hardware available for Flight Sims, so I guess integrating it is not a priority.

1 Like

Got this beaut today, and here are my initial musings for anyone that cares. None of you will though, feel free to skip past, I’m not hurt! :joy::joy:

Outside: absolutely gorgeous. Love the door options.
Inside: ditto. The cabin is great with the tables and all that.
Cockpit: still getting used to all that steam, but it’s visually very, very nice indeed.
Sounds: wonderfully throaty engines.
Devices: Honeycomb Alpha had no issues, Logitech TQ all working a charm. I have an x-touch that needs some TLC with AAO but that was always expected.
Camera views: the in-cockpit settings on the Alpha have never been an issue until now. Those are some interesting camera choices. From pilot view, hit down on the hat switch… to end up underneath behind the nose wheel? Really?
Checklists: fairly comprehensive, even if a few of the views don’t work.

Having been spoiled rotten by the amazing WT G1000NXi, the PMS50 GTN750 (free edition) takes a little bit of getting used to, but I’m sure I’ll get there.

On the 2 one hour flights I’ve taken, the 414AW is lovely to fly, very easy on takeoff and nice and smooth on landing. Cruising and navigation pretty much takes care of itself with the proper flight plan in the GTN750.
A quick question on that - for a planned cruising altitude, do I set and arm just the old school ALT ALERT, or is this done in the flight planner on the GTN750?

I tried both flights with ILS approaches and both approaches were… interesting - glad the weather was VFR friendly. Hopefully that’ll be working soon.

I’m now on the hunt for an Axis And Ohs supremo so that I can get my x-touch working with the 605 buttons, and maybe some GTN750 map range love.
I’ve got a lot of it working fine (COM/NAV frequency rotaries and standby switching, BARO rotary and STD, and also the HDG/CRS rotaries) but I now need some autopilot modes love. Especially for IAS and VS modes with that up/down wheel.

OK, I’ve said my piece - as you were :grinning:

4 Likes

That’s useful. Thanks.

I used to have a FFB stick back in the day but unfortunately the motor burnt out from overuse playing Combat FS for hours on end. For me there was nothing as immersive as that physical feedback you get through the stick. It really gave you a feel for the turbulence the plane was experiencing.

In fact I would place FFB above even VR as far as realism enhancement goes. I mean VR is great and all but I just find it hard to wear the silly headset for long periods of time without taking a break. Miss my FFB stick :frowning:

2 Likes

I’d love to see more FFB in flight sim stuff - I’m guessing the challenge and cost of implementing something like that isn’t cheap, as it’s quite a bit more complicated then adding FFB to a driving wheel for racing games (where it’s ubiquitous).

If you have any eariler versions of the aircraft, the old windscreen texture has different kinds of windscreen grunge in each R, B, G channel. The texture is called:

GLASS_DETAILMAP01_MASK.PNG.DDS

I ended up painting out the fingerprints in the blue channel (just painted over the same colour as the rest of the background), but I kept all the other details on the other layers. It was really just the fingerprints which were overdone, imo.

If anyone would like this file, I’ve uploaded it to my dropbox. Here is link:

GLASS_DETAILMAP01_MASK.PNG.DDS (dropbox.com)

5 Likes

And I throw this in the main texture folder or the individual livery folders ?

Enjoying this aircraft so far. Only 2 gripes.

1. Leading edge ice boot textures are blurry/pixelated along the edges (tried various settings)

2. Wish I could get rid of the winglets (or add tip tanks)

1 Like

I would transfer Asobo Baron’s sound pck. sound file over the C414 if I knew how to do that.
Does anyone knows?
The sounds are the only thing that are really annoying me on this plane. The rest of the bugs will get fixed with time, but I know developers usually don’t pay as much attention to sounds unfortunately (with a few exception of course).

Not remotely true. The developers use the actual plane and one of the developers own the same plane. Like with all my aircraft, I turn down most of the engine noise because I use headphones anyway.

Main texture folder: for eg, mine is

C:\Users\stuto\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\flysimware-cessna-414a\SimObjects\Airplanes\flysimware_Cessna_414A\texture

Cheers

I understand the developers may own an actual aircraft to model their products, but it doesn’t necessarily mean everything is modeled from the aircraft. For example you can compare against Milviz C310 sound modelling, where you can definitely heard that their model sounds just like a C310R.
I do not think the C414 sounds are actually modeled from a real aircraft or at least the sounds don’t come out matching he model. It is particularly so in regards to internal sounds.

1 Like

The switches and stuff sound ok. But the engines sound hollow and metallicaly and there are some terrible transitions.
Enginesound on the Milviz C310 is a LOT better.

I am some who also flies with a headphone but i don’t use headphone mode. I love engine sounds and to me (engine)sound and flightmodel are the two most important things.

2 Likes

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. Engines sounds are important and they need some redoing in this case as they don’t match the quality of the model.

2 Likes

I have to say cockpit panel lighting at night in this aircraft is some of the best i’ve seen in the sim. Very and i mean VERY easy on the eyes with high immersion.

Which by the way has always been my issue with G1000 NXI based aircrafts hence i could never get the eye comfort right with the brightness.

2 Likes

Gallons remaining does not change. The documentation indicates is should be changing. Seems like a simple thing to fix. Been that way from the start.

2 Likes

Well, I had trouble watching the 310 video because of the constant talking so it was difficult to focus on the sounds. I guess people can disagree. I didn’t like the sound of the 310 compared to some in-cockpit videos vs the 414. There are too many depending factors on why sounds are better to some that others. Could it use some improvement? Not sure, really. Youtube videos don’t necessarily sound like the aircraft always. Sometimes its never right. Even watching videos of 310’s in the air it sounded off. Probably youtube’s fault for changing the sounds. Who knows. I don’t really care at this point. If it becomes a problem down the road and people really dislike it then the developer would likely consider changing it.

I love the aircraft and have great hope for the future, but on the second flight, it was just as bad on the sound on the first and I really do think that some attention is needed here and as a priority too. This aircraft has fantastic potential and I hope it will be realised.

1 Like