Fokker FVIIb

Does anyone know how EASIER taxi with the Fokker FVIIB

Because it’s a taildragger, it has no steerable wheels. It also doesn’t steer with the rudder at all until it gets enough speed that the rudder becomes effective.
At low speeds, you must use differential braking

On the retrofit version push the stick forward to unlock the tailwheel - that makes it steerable.

Could you explain this a little more. Are you pushing the flight stick forward to disengage the lock? Is this done before moving?
This will help me immensely if I can figure this out.

Thanks

Having the stick forward unlocks the free castoring tailwheel, and allows the differential braking to work, but only in the modern retrofit version. (the only version with differential braking and the castoring tailwheel)
The Southern Cross does not have differential braking, and only differential engine power “helps” steer.
As speed increases, having the stick forward also raises the tail.
Once the tail is up, you have some rudder control, which does give reasonable steering.
I haven’t figured out the single engine A version yet, except for start on the runway facing ahead!

Thanks I will play around with that

1 Like

On both versions, differential braking seems only to work if you are at some speed maybe 8+ knots. Having high throttle (30%+) also seems to create enough airflow to give the rudder some authority. Differential braking and high throttle will allow you to turn on a dime, with the braked wheel staying in place and the other wheel rotating around the braked wheel’s axis.

Be careful not to overshoot your desired turn, it’s not going to respond to corrections very fast.

Haven’t flown the retrofit version yet, so I don’t know if the castoring tail wheel makes it any easier.

can show picture

What language do you speak?