For in real world training purposes

Don’t get me wrong, but is it normal to feel cringe when people call such advanced flight simulators a ‘‘game’’ even when pilot students and pilots use these simulators to practice their radio communication, getting familiar with cockpits and instrunments, studying cold&dark procedures based on real world checklists and also practicing emergencies without fuel consuming and without risking anyone’s life?

Basically a game’s logic is just WASD and mouse to control a character or to control a racing car, which is exact opposite of FSX, P3D, XPlane and MSFS2020. You must know the cockpit as detailed as you know yourself. Whoever just studies for a ‘‘game’’ I’m trying to mean.

What do you guys think? Opinions appreciated.

1 Like

I’m personally caring about educating myself, had 1300 hours of X-Plane with Zibo’s 737 which in real life pilots helped with feedbacks for it’s developing process. And it’s about to be 1 month since I purchased MSFS2020, can’t wait to learn much deeper thanks to PMDG 737 when it arrives to marketplace. Also new on vatsim to educate myself, improve my IFR flights more.

1 Like

call it a sim for those trying to follow all regulations and manuels etc,
call it a game if you just want to play around, in a world of wonders…
I am grateful I can (for myself) thinking that I can fly a cirrus like my friend who has the real thing, but some days the sim is just a big playground, and i don’t care about the techstuff…

2 Likes

That makes sense, not gonna lie

1 Like

To me, flight simulator can be considered as a sandbox. In it you can mess about and fly under the Eiffel tower etc, but also you can learn how pilots do things for real.

I created the FS ACADEMY line of tutorial missions, based on my own training from PPL to A320 Captain.

MSFS has the potential to host whatever kind of activity you want to do. For me it’ll come into its own when Fenix release their A320, which will be great for my studying. Others want to go and explore the earth in a new way, much like how many of us spent hours on Google Earth when that first came out.

2 Likes

Gaming has been around for so long now people are forgetting the source of the term.

It isn’t, “Game” as in, points are scored and there is a winner or loser.

It is short for, “Video gaming” which is a form of graphics reliant leisure software people can play from home on their PC or gaming console.

It is a term used to distinguish this type of software from productivity and work software.

And the term was coined back when green lines were considered cutting edge graphics.

So, since the dawn of video gaming, simulations have been considered part of the same category, made by the same game studios, sold in the same game stores, and (until relatively recently) they exclusively used game controllers or a mouse and keyboard (or before the mouse, just a keyboard).

This, “Not a game” debate has become a thing mostly in the last decade as people younger than video games hear, “Game” and think, “Well that doesn’t describe simulation.”

But, “Video gaming” does. Sims are undeniably leisure software dependent on graphics that people can enjoy from home on their PC or console.

It is a pretty silly debate, and it can pass the time, but it is worthless in the grand scheme.

And remember, MSFS was produced by XBOX GAME Studios, made by Asobo Studio (What KIND of studio?), available on Steam (What do THEY sell?), the Microsoft GAME Store, GAME Pass, you can stream it via XBOX Cloud GAMING and play on your GAMEPAD, or you can download it direct to your XBOX GAME Console.

I get the point. Simulation is not (always) a game. But it is undeniably video gaming from home. It has no business or productivity application. Graphics are a vital component and, it is something you do in your spare time for fun or self-improvement.

Other games that lack traditional game play include the well known Minecraft, and the not so well known Midtown Madness series of car games made by Microsoft around the turn of the Millennium to basically make a MSFS for driving around well known towns. Before GTA 3 and Forza Horizon, we could just go online and… drive with other people. Make our own fun. It wasn’t just about racing. It was a communal playground. There was a sandbox and we all drove around in it.

That’s the thing about a sandbox. It is not in and of itself a game, but it is a space (IRL and on computer) made to accommodate (game) play.

Perhaps these days, “Game” is not the best descriptor for simulations. They have come so far. But they have no real world, tangible value. You can’t log real flight hours on MSFS. Sure you can learn about planes, but you can learn about sports in the latest FIFA title and nobody mistakes it for real world experience. Many games teach you things about vehicles or various aspects of history… but they aren’t real, and they have no tangible real life application beyond leisure and entertainment.

Folks who insist this, “Is NOT a game” sure get vocal on this forum when they fly around and notice people playing MSFS like it IS a game. The sandbox accommodates and scales to allow for BOTH types of PLAY, and those who play it as a sim are just playing by and adhering to their own self-imposed rules of gameplay within this open sandbox. A sandbox. Found IRL on a PLAYground.

It really is this simple: In MSFS, are you playing a pilot, or BEING a pilot? Since there is no tangible, real world application to flying in MSFS, we are all PLAYING pilot in sim, even those of us who ARE pilots IRL. Even those of us who are practicing real pilot things. If we could log hours, or if MSFS had FAA approval as a sim, it would cross over into having a real life, tangible, business application, and it would earn itself a different software classification.

2 Likes

Wish you the best with your 320 career and thanks for giving community such product! Never tried your product but I’m sure it’s a reliable one, reading your comment that you created it based on your training from PPL to A320 captain. That’s just a new level of motivation to be honest. I want to get ATPL license too but due to currency crisis, 50.000 euros isn’t affordable. So I’m spending that will by flying via such simulators professionally and using printed out real world checklists. It just feels so good.

1 Like

Solution selected.