For people using Windows 11 are you switching off VBS?

This is one that I never knew about until hardware unboxed mentioned it. VBS has a dramatic effect on most games. To switch it off:

Search for device security
Look for option core isolation > toggle off/on

Already off in mine. From what I’ve read, upgrading to Windows 11 it is usually off by default, possibly on with a new PC that comes with Windows 11.

VBS is enabled by default on W11. W10 it is not enabled by default.
Search for MSinfo32 on the taskbar. It is listed at the bottom of that list under “virtualisation-based-security”.

If you have virtualisation disabled in bios it stays off in W11 too

Yes, this comes under SMV in an AMD system.

If you have virtualisation enabled, it is switched off by default in W10. In W11 with it enabled, it is enabled by default.

What kind of an improvement do you see, frame rate wise, after you disabled VBS?

What are your system specs?

2 Likes

I don’t have W11 installed anymore. I ditched it while I wait for a fix for AMD systems. The video Shows it has an issue with most games on an intel system, but does not test MSFS.
I tried to enable VBS on my W10 system. It will not enable without removing a couple of drivers. Something I am not prepared to do.

Since I started this post here though, I asked the question on the www.overclock.net forum. I asked specifically if it had been looked at when people were posting the Aida64 results concerning the L3 cache issue. The replies coming back are that Ryzen manages VBS with very little impact for gaming.
This is a cut up of results posted by /u/kelutrel there. The right side being VBS off ofc.

I can see the 200GB/s drop in write on L3 cache with VBS on. I can also see it has minor impact of the L3 cache latency. This would impact video editing or something of that nature. For games though the impact would be minor as must games read a lot more than they write.

EDIT to correct the url.

2 Likes

I had read about latency issues but not write throughput as well.

1 Like

The performance drop with VBS on for Zen 3 should be at most 5%. The drop from 10.8 to 10.5 ns should be simply dismissed as noise - this is within 3% uncertainty that should be expected for this type of latency test. As for the L3 write speeds, I’ve also noticed this oddity when testing on Windows 11. I’ve seen it go from 400 to 200 GB/s between tests performed right after each other, with VBS off for both. Either this is an AIDA64 issue, or it’s very sensitive to background processes.

2 Likes

Hardware unboxed does some crystal mark scores which reflect this on the intel system they tested. Timestamp here. It shows normal running has little impact, but intensive random write/read was hammered. Random write read is not normal and files tend to be written sequentially. So it is not something I would be concerned over with gaming.

1 Like

This has been pointed out by a few about how inconsistent Aida is reporting for repeat runs on W11. There are a few who are saying the OS behaves weirdly, as if it seems to just stop then start up again. No one I have read has gave a reason why yet.

The general consensus on www.overclock.net was that with AMD VBS had little impact in W11. I think the video (which was Intel only) reported deviations in gaming between 5-7% on most games, but not all. Some games were not affected at all.

1 Like

AMD’s new chipset driver has been out a few days, it doesn’t show under processor updates.

MSFS is not gaming though … and AMD’s fix has me at least 10fps better off.

MSFS is not gaming ? on what planet.

1 Like

MSFS certainly is gaming, but it has a heavier CPU workload than most games do. This makes it an atypical game from a performance profile standpoint.

2 Likes

Won’t a “heavier CPU load” make MSFS more prone to VBS/HVCI performance issues? Anyone get a new Win 11 prebuilt PC or laptop that managed to disable this?

Only if the load is composed of programs running in virtualization, presumably. Since the load is MSFS’s internal processing, this raises the question: is MSFS itself running in virtualization in this scenario, and why?

(Reading some descriptions of what VBS does, the answer is “maybe?”)