I can’t take credit for this but I heard a little chatter in some other posts so I thought I’d give this a try and at least for me, and at least for one flight in particular (the only one I’ve completed since implementing this) it worked quite well. I by no means have a God Like PC.
i7-10700K @4.8, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM @3200. I’m running all settings on Ultra, 2560 x 1440 monitor at 150% Render Scaling with in-game settings for Terrain and Object LOD at 200%.
I am seeing just a slight bit of artifacting on a few external view screens but it is nothing serious and probably could be eliminated by bringing those settings down just a bit. Also I’m still seeing high frame rates near or in the 60’s.
A simple change of a digit in the user.cfg made this difference. Under “Graphics” change the 2.0000 to 4.0000 and then make the file read only in properties then save.
I did experience a CTD on my first start-up just after loading into the cockpit of the TBM but after a re-load I was able to complete my flight and feel that the graphics are very close to what they were pre SU5. Again, this was just one flight so more trials are needed but I’m encouraged and wanted to share this.
Keep in mind being this is now a read only file you will need to change it back prior to any future updates.
Below is the part of the file that I changed. Terrain LOD and Objects LOD. Simply change the 2’s to 4’s. And please, no flaming, I’m just sharing something that seems to be a workaround (at least for me), not a fix for what has happened with SU5 in general.
Good luck fellow simmers!