For you oldies who remember CGA and EGA

Remembering back to the 80’s where you hoped to get more than 10 frames a second in a game and for it to look half decent. I thought I’d do some experimenting for a laugh and see how MSFS 2020 would look if we were still stuck with 4 and 16 colours.

So this is the original image at 690x388 with 16m colours:

Click the image to see it at 1080p.

This is what is would look like if we were still stuck at EGA 690x388:

And CGA at a good resolution 690x388:

EGA at native 640x350 which looks respectable:
EGA_LO

And finally CGA at its native resolution, thank goodness we don’t have to deal with 320x200 these days:
CGA_LO

People don’t know how good they’ve got it these days :slight_smile:

Zooze

33 Likes

I first played Flight Simulator (from Sublogic) on a TRS-80 Model I – which had 128x48 block graphics. (FS1 for TRS-80)

6 Likes

As far as I recall CGA was 320*200 pixels if you wanted 4 colours.
I played a lot of games with CGA on my IBM 5150 with 8088 CPU. Purchased some more RAM (128kb) to be able to play my favourite game ”Sub Battle Simulator” - I paid 160 USD for those 128kb :grinning::grinning::joy::joy:

3 Likes

But those pixelated clouds … Unplayable!

2 Likes

You are spot on and I dropped the native resolution at the end of the post. Actually at 1080p CGA looks half respectable :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was amazing what we had to put up with back in the 80s as well as the pixilation on everything, we struggled massively with frame rate. Lucky if you got 15-20.

2 Likes

First computer I had, graphics were stratigically placed ascii characters. First flight sim I used was monochrome graphics.

3 Likes

<——- Commodore 64 - first computer. :flushed:

4 Likes

Are you sure this is EGA?  It looks more like VGA to me as I don’t remember EGA looking that good.

2 Likes

Radio Shack “Pocket Computer” was the first I owned, then an Adam (similar to the Timex Sinclair) and then a promotion to the Big Leagues:  an Atari 8-bit with a whopping 16k RAM!!  (I upgraded it to 64k.)

My first flight sim was the MSFS Atari cartridge version that ran on an Atari 130XE.

Weee!  A “real” flight sim!!  I was in Hog Heaven!

I don’t remember if it was B/W or color graphics, but if you got 10-15 FPS you were obviously going down a hill. :wink:

Those were the days.

I really pity the people who complain about clouds that “aren’t realistic”; they obviously don’t know how far we’ve come.

6 Likes

This would be my interpretation of an EGA colour palette

Of course a real artist would smooth the colours out instead of leaving them all random pixelated like that but I ain’t an artist

1 Like

But the graphical resolution is way too high.

It should be much more pixelated as this is way higher than even VGA of the day.

1 Like

Well EGA could support up to 640x350 officially (some boards could go higher) but I concede most games at the time were 320x200 so

And of course the real hardware wouldn’t be able to actually render all those polygons at all and they’d be much simpler shapes so then you end up with Microsoft Flight Simulator 3.0
Although this is a highly illegal 427x233 sized image :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly. There’s all kind of 3D card detail there. This is what we actually saw.

And that’s hi-res VGA, baby!

Can’t even find an external shot in CGA, but here’s the panel for context…

7 Likes

There’s also this if you want to relive some FS 4.0 memories in the current sim :slight_smile:

the contrast is amazing

9 Likes

My first.

4 Likes

Oh dear I actually remember that I must be very lucky

1 Like

Here’s a trip down memory lane!

https://youtu.be/NZLC5ekNJUY

https://youtu.be/G1LT4Zlz0Mk

Enjoy!

8-bit graphics. . .

Way back when we had wood-burning computers and “steam gages” really ran on steam! :wink:

1 Like

I think I’ll just carry on as I am.

‘sigh’
‘continues typing’

“dos=high,umb…”

3 Likes