ForeFlight new user

Hi All,

Just sharing that I used Foreflight in the Sim today for the first time. I followed the instructions on their website and it worked flawlessly. The app on my iPad followed my progress and showed my height and speed etc. Even giving me low height warnings. It noted where I landed automatically and of course showed me live weather. Finally it includes airport maps to help with runway identification.

In summary, this is my first flight Sim for 30 years and absolutely loving what is possible.

Josh

4 Likes

Foreflight is probably the single best pay for utility you can use currently. Its so nice to be able to plan a flight plan in it that is often almost identical if not identical to the one built in sim. All your frequencies, procedures, plates, are there. It beats the tar out of using the glass cockpit maps and the vfr map. It also far supercedes the other map apps. While not cheap at $100 a year. I get $10 a month enjoyment out of it, and if you are a real pilot its awesome kit for any aircraft.

1 Like

Hi, I have tried too foreflight in the sim (new user on both) and is really good!
I have a couple of question:

1. Is it possible to create a flight plan inside foreflight and send it to the sim? If yes how to do?
  2. Is possible to create the plan inside the sim (yes off course) and send it to foreflight? If yes how to do?

I’m speaking about VFR flight plan.

Thanks a lot

I haven’t attempted to load FPs across them. Seems like it should be possible, but I don’t know how much effort it would take.

Hi,

you can send the Foreflight flight plan to MSFS via Little Navmap.

Step 1: Get the FPL file from Foreflight to your computer
Option A:

1. Use “Send To - SHARE FPL FILE” in ForeFlight.
  2. Copy that file to your computer.
  3. Open it Windows Notepad
  4. Save As using UTF-8 encoding.
    Option B:
    Use “Send To - Mail” option in Foreflight and you get an UTF-8 encoded fpl file.

Step 2:
Open the file with Little NavMap

Step 3:
Export Flight Plan as MSFS2020.

Enjoy your flight…

2 Likes

To transfer the flight plan from MSFS to Foreflight… use Little Navmap. It should work … in theory.

1. Open the saved pln file in Little Navmap
  2. Set the “Multiexport Flight Plan Options” in File menu to export “Garmin” - “Reality XP GNS 530W/430W V2” fpl file
  3. Import the fpl file back into ForeFlight
2 Likes

Too bad that’s such a convoluted process. Makes sense though. ForeFlight doesn’t send any information to the sim whatsoever. Only receives.

I’ve been setting up flight plans manually or via SimBrief, copying them to ForeFlight’s web interface by copy-pasting the route, and then loading the flight in the iPad app and hitting “send to map”. :slight_smile:

I find ForeFlight fantastic for VFR flights, with the integrated VFR sectionals, aerial map, etc. (I even splurged extra for the edition that lets me show the synthetic terrain view and hazard advisor.) Also good for IFR, except that my Jeppesen charts don’t extend outside the US so if I land in Canada I have to switch over to Navigraph. :wink:

(I use fs2ff for the connection to the sim.)

How is their web interface? I don’t have an iPad at the moment and was wondering if you can use all the same features or if some stuff was on the iOS app only.

The web interface is ok for managing your flight setup, but it can’t connect to sensors on the local network – so you cannot follow your flight.

The procedure for importing the file into Foreflight is not nearly as straight forward as you make it sound here, but I did find a method for that, and thank you for the information on how to make the .pln file importable.
For those interested: the procedure for getting the plan into Foreflight is as follows:

1. Open up Itunes on the computer where the file is.
  2. Connect your device with Foreflight to the computer
  3. Select your device in Itunes.
  4. Click on file sharing (located on the right).
  5. Find “Pages” in the list of options
  6. Drag and drop your .FPL file into the Pages list on the right. Do not use the Foreflight list.
  7. Disconnect your device.
  8. Open your file app on your device, find the “Pages” folder, locate the FPL file (which will look like a foreflight file)
  9. Use the “Send” icon to send the file to Foreflight.

One other note. If the flight plan you are using contains user generated waypoints use the second of the Multiexport options for .FPLs in LittleNavMap.

1 Like

To sum up this thread; ForeFlight AND LittleNavMap are awesome.

1 Like

…and together they are even more awesome!

1 Like

Foreflight plan easily importing to MSFS and back through LittleNavMap. You do not need to make this complex procedure explained before, just email files between iPad FF and PC snd back, then use “open with”

Enjoy!

With the different interface apps to use with FF how does one go about choosing the best one?

Evening all,

Does anyone know how to send a flight plan generated in sim brief to foreflight on the iPad without connecting to iTunes which is not an option for me,

thanks

Josh

Email it to iPad and then choose for the file “open with FF”

Best regards
Igor

Thanks. Tried that using various formats and when it opens in ForeFlight it says there is no waypoint data and the flight plan is blank.

Josh

Omg, Thank you! This is the only post I’ve found that has helped me. To clear some things.

1. If on the main page, you see Library and your device on the left side. Click on the IPAD ICON on the top next to the Categories you can choose from. The default is Music. It should look like this.

[<][>] [Music Up/Down] [IPAD ICON] [Library] [For you] [Browser] [Radio] [Store]

4.1 Click on the file sharing (Located on the left)

1. You can also just click add file and browse for the file.
    6.1 No need to click save, or sync once file is there. You also can’t delete the file after it’s there, only on the iPad can you delete it. You don’t even need to click done. Just exit the page.

2. On default, pages opens up to “On My iPad” on the left, in the center, look for the folder “Pages” and open

3. Hold down the .fpl icon, choose “Share” at the bottom, and then send to Foreflight.

The flight plan will then be automatically loaded as your current flight plan.

1 Like

However, importing a file to foreflight is quite complex.