Formation flying

Formation flying, could this be an option for us somewhere?

I guess there is nothing from stopping you doing that right now. In fact, on most group flights, both official, and unofficial, you’ll tend to see ~20 people flying along with the streamer, matching speed, and position as best they can.

What did you have in mind?

1 Like

It isn’t an option, it was already possible from day 1.
Only thing that’s highly recommended is to fly in VR and have voice communications.
What you’ll see is that getting too close to your wingman he/she will fade out of sight.
Apart from that, formation flying is perfectly possible.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I would like to fly with others but its difficult for me to say when I can get time to go on.
Could I set up a Cessna ai aircraft and set his flight path?
Or, when I do have a couple of hours find someone who would like to do the same, formation flying.

1 Like

I’m not sure we have any control over AI. What you might need to do is find somewhere busy, but you’ll have no influence over what they are doing.

For practice we could do with something like FS Recorder for FSX.
With that you could record a flight, replay it as traffic and fly with your earlier flight.
Playing, or rather, flying with yourself! :grinning:

1 Like

It is great fun amd I have access to a Teamspeak server, too. Anybody interested in an afternoon session this weekend? It would give a chance for some real World experience, plus a chance to actually speak to each other. Both things which are sadly lacking in this sim. Might look at tomorrow (Saturday) if there is any interest and we can do a gentle GA trip. Real World weather is another bonus if it anything like the last half dozen times I have fired it up. 93 million miles visibility and around 15 degrees C.

1 Like

I will try for tomorrow afternoon, which departure Airport? Rough idea of time?
And will I need to be on same server as you?
Thanks

I hone my formation flying skills using recordings as ai playback.

1 Like

I have formed a team some time ago in FSX and FSX-SE called the “Bluebirds”. We presently have six pilots. We are now shaking down the new Airmicci MB339 in MSFS which performs well once one gets the controls tamed down. if one plane gets too close to the other then it fades out, but that only happens when the planes are really close together - say a wingspan apart. There is no jumping or jitter.
So if you can get a team mate or more together, arrange for specific times for your flight and use an app such as TeamSpeak or equal and fly and chat to your hearts content.
Yes - it is very possiblle to fly formation in MSFS.

4 Likes

I’ve done this a few times with a mate, both military aircrew, here’s my quick tips:

• you need to jump on the same server, you can find this if you click on your user ID in the top right corner. It defaults to automatic, find one where you both have less than 100ms
  • have a voice channel, e.g. Steam, so you can talk to each other
  • add everyone you want to fly with in a group
  • decide where you want to fly from, and all can launch there. Just wait for everyone to load in, you’ll see them
  • go Flying!
  • I would suggest using propellor or jet aircraft
there is a little lag in turboprop which can be accentuated with slight lag in the Sim.

It works extremely well, the position picture is ‘almost’ like real life.

Have fun!

1 Like

Hello there, not at PC at this time, but will set up for a 1400Z departure from the apron at Gloucester EGBJ in the Mooney. Dependant on your type, I can adjust speed accordingly. Will check up weather beforehand in case live weather actually works and plan for best direction for better operating areas. Will post back here later with an update. Looking forward to it.

Will be posting a message here when I get back from the supermarket, receive a pat on the head and a drop kick out of the door from the boss. Hope to flash up the PC by about 1330Z.

1 Like

OK Gloucester, EGBJ is set up within an open session, server unknown. Am in the Mooney on the SE apron of the airfield with a 1415Z departure penn idled in. Weather seems reasonable, so, the plan is this.

Depart EGBJ and direct BCN VOR freq 117.45
North from BCN to Welshpool for a landing and regroup.
Depart EGCW for WAL VOR
West to RAF Valley, EGOV, touch and go.
Pairs landing maybe at Llanbedr, EGOD
Cross country to the Dams at Rhayader.
To Malvern Hills
Recover to EGBJ rw 27, ILS 109.95

All gentle and slow enough to let others maintain performance margins, VFR at 2 to 3000 ft weather depending.

Just a bit of fun and if you are quick, you can pm me for Teamspeak ipdeparture now delayed to 1445Z

Very nice your MB339 formation!

I’ve just tried the SimSkunkwors G91 and it seems the my friend plane fades out when already at 5-6 wingspans from mine.

With other airplanes, not necessarely bigger, this distance seems smaller or even bigger.

This of course makes impossible to fly close formation and it’s a huge pity and a nonsense too

I’ve tried to set crash and damage modes to off, AI to off and multiplayer set Group Only, no changings.

Any method or mod to remove and forget this nonsense sim feature?

1 Like

Check out this club. I recently joined for company when vfr flying. Its great. Friendly and good advice and training. There is also a display group. I’m going to spectate on their next session.

Give it a go

https://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

1 Like

Looks great, will aim to join you soon, thanks

Will do, thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.