FPS in VR are so painfull

I was flying in A320nx in VR and the FPS is so painfull and so many stutter…

i7 - 9700K , 32GB , RTX 3070 OC Gaming , SSD M.2 NVMe 1TB , SSD M.2 1TB

Moved to VR category.

1 Like

After each update comes more trouble for VR. I was running 80TAA@ 90hz 18fps locked at 33.3ms on my Index and before the last hot fix it was running ok but anytime you get close to the ground it becomes a wobbled mess. After the recent hot fix I can no longer run with those setting and had to back off to 60TAA because the VR simply could not launch with any regularity. In fact, only one attempt out 10 times do I actually get to play the sim in VR. In addition, settings in the VR graphics settings got changed as well caused by the hot fix, PG and Bing maps was turned off. I have never touched these settings.

VR IS A DISASTER. all my other apps, PC3, Rfactor, Alyx, Rollar Coaster, ect ect all work excellent in respect to functionality. Here you need a degree in basic computer engineering to figure out what to do to make it work. This is unacceptable. Absolutely.
When it does work it is incredible. That being said, with all the hype and high expectations and a new approaches with such a high level of community involvement, it’s clear now the sim is in fact the laughing stock of game developers world wide, just look at the opening screens to see that “really something needs to be done.” Melted buildings, horizontal line through everything on another screen, stuttering just name a few. VR is a joke and they have no plans to fix or do anything about it anytime soon.

Painful yes.
Am I going to spend anymore money here? no

PACO572

6 Likes

What headset?
I have similar specs and the Index.
I set the headset’s update rate to 80 fps, In-game sampling to 90% and Steam sampling to 80%.
Runs ok. But not amazing. Steam can interpolate 6 frames out from 1 so that might be helping.

I have a weaker machine. My experience is quite different. With each update, VR is getter better and better. I am able to increase many graphic setting sliders compared to two months ago.

I7-10700k OC’d @ 5.1 GHz, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz, Oculus Rift S.

Mine are Oculus Rift S

1 Like

Which aircraft are you flying in VR with good performance?

Steam gauge GA are best for FPS and smoothness in VR, less demanding than any glass cockpit. Jets will be the worst. Same as with 2D. Also, I’ve noticed that the single seaters even if they have glass cockpit are a bit better on performance in VR (maybe due to less cockpit refresh of the 2nd/3rd glass screen)

All aircraft have better performance compared to two months ago. I mostly fly CRJ, Baron G58, Cessna 172 G1000 version, and TBM 930.

I can’t fly the Baron in VR at all with a 3070 and 5600x cpu at 4.87ghz, 32gb @ 3200mhz. TBM and D62 are acceptable, C172 with the G1000 is decent.

I have so much overhead on the gpu I can push supersampling quite high, but the main core msfs uses is maxed out.

I wonder if the sim runs better on intel?

I’m getting a pretty steady 28-35fps with the A32NX in VR, using Oculus Quest 2 @ 90Hz with 1.3x resolution scale an 100TAA with Medium/High settings in the sim. Only thing I had to do was turn ASW off (or motion projection) and it works great. GA runs much smoother at 35-40fps. Running a pretty modest system too - i7 8700K @ 4.8, 32GB RAM, GTX1080Ti @ 1987/6003Mhz

Apparently so although both are hamstrung to varying degrees until there’s some hefty optimisation.

Solo 103
Bell 47G

Generally single or 2 seater ultralights that have steam gauges in the cockpit.

Any kind of glass cockpit will destroy VR performance. It is “workable” in 2d but in VR it generally makes for a queesy and unpleasant experience. The glass instruments need to be top priority for fixing! (no glass refresh rate doesn’t change anything as it’s frame consistency which is affected not average FPS)

That’s insanely good performance. What’s it like taxiing vs at altitude? Stutters on the ground?

Right now MSFS is for me just like FSX when it was released, it only supported single core. It took a year for the first service pack to be released which upped that to 2 cores. Intel always had the faster single core performance but that has changed in the last few years.

1 Like

I feel its quite good for the age of my system, especially seeing as the GPU is more than 4 years old now.

Taxing I get 25-30fps, and altitude is 30-35fps+ in airliners. Add another 10-15fps for GA aircraft.

I think it’s a bit of a myth to say that MSFS only uses one core, simply not true as multiple cores are used (and was stated in the live Q&A with the Asobo). Hopefully we should see a performance increase, or at least more steady/consistent fps with less stuttering with the DX12 release and other under the hood optimisations they’re working on. Really looking forward to it - they’ve come a long way since release.

Performance has improved of late with the OpenXR changes in my G2, but it was never that bad to begin with after reducing render scaling in OpenXR to 70% which is absolutely fine visually. VR continues to be an absolute joy with GA planes, I can’t comment on the tubes, sorry. Performance for me is great, everything smooth, it’s better now over London and Paris, but not as smooth.

That Paris photogrammetry flash screen in the startup I had a look earlier, it’s not that bad. I hardly think the sim is a laughing stock if you base it on that screenshot. Asobo aren’t blind, they must know Bluesky’s photogrammetry is a fall in standard comparied to Bings photogrammetry providers but I guess it’s either them or nothing and Asobo badly wanted Paris and London to feature in the sim.

I have a massive smile on my face whenever I boot up VR in this sim. I’ve probably put the last 100 hours of VR exclusively in MSFS. I can honestly say my views appear to be the complete opposite of yours, not knocking that at all, Microsoft and Asobo have work to do to make this sim VR ready for a wider audiance and systems, that much is clear but from my rig with my expectations and my MSFS settings, my experience in VR is second to none, absolutely love it.

3 Likes

Damm fellas, I’m not sure if we’re even playing the same “game”.

I’ve got a 10600K paired with a 2070 Super and HP Reverb G2s, and I routinely fly the complex airplanes (A32NX, CRJ, CJ4, turbo Bonanza, stock Baron, and some others, combined with usually pilot2ATC 3rd party ATC (though I’m evaluating PF3), but every once in a blue moon with stock ATC, and my VR performance is just fine.

Sure, if you check what the fps counters say, you might be inclined to freak out (it’s usually 25-30), but I rarely even bother turning them on and instead rely on my eyes to tell me if it’s working or not, and except really dense scenery environments (with Charles de Gaulle and Paris in general being the worst offenders I’ve noticed so far, though it’s a big globe out there and there’s far more places I haven’t been than there are that I have), it’s smooth as can be.

In fact, again with the exception of those super dense scenery areas, the only place I even notice the “slow” fps rates are if I look directly out of my left hand window and down to the ground on a takeoff roll, but that’s not where my attention should ever even be on a takeoff roll. And once I get to cruising altitude, even if it’s only 4,000-5,000’ in say a 172, I can’t see it even when looking at the same spot.

I fly virtually exclusively in VR, unless the whole point of my flight is to get screenshots, which are better in 2D. Occasionally I will setup my flight and FMS in 2D because I have to access my Simbrief documents and other things that require peeking out from my “matrix helmet” (as my lovely bride calls it), but I’ve even gotten away from that more and more, and jump into VR the moment I hit the cockpit.

So my advice is turn the fps counters off, and go by what you see with the ocular devices that your mother gave you. At the end of the day, that’s the only thing that truly matters.

4 Likes

There’s something even better - an unwashed C172 Taildragger.

C172 Taildragger C172 Taildragger cockpit

I just came to state my un-relinquishing disappointment for this sim. was flying fine a few months back, been busy with life but came back to the sim today and cant get VR to function beyond a slideshow at any level. Absolute joke

1 Like

@Bagpipe4925 It’s not an “absolute joke”. Hundreds of thousands of people are routinely using the sim without having serious problems like you are, although probably not that many if we’re specifically talking VR. But myself and many, many others use VR in MSFS on a daily basis and it works fine.

So what that tells me is that there’s something wrong with your specific installation. Unfortunately, the list of things that it might be is long, and some of them are very difficult to troubleshoot, but I’ll give you a list of “usual suspects” to try first.

First, make sure you have WMR and OXR (both available from the Windows store) installed and updated to the current version. It may be a manual process to update windows store apps, so you open the store app, click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner, and then click on “Downloads and Updates”. When you do that you’ll see a screen that has all your apps, with a button in the upper right that says “Get updates”.

Click on that button. If it comes up with any updates, then make sure they are installed and continue hitting the “Get updates” button until it says “You’re good to go”. Unfortunately, this is a manual process, so you’ll have to remember to do it on a regular basis, I like to do it at least once a week, or when someone here or in any of the other MSFS forums I participate in posts about a new update having been released. If you don’t have those apps, you can acquire them from the store app (they are free). You’re looking for “Mixed Reality Portal”, and “OpenXR Developer tools for Windows”, even though the commonly used names are WMR and OXR.

Next make sure windows itself is updated and stays that way. In the search box near your windows button on your taskbar, simply type “Update” to take you to the utility that will allow you to ensure that is done. You should also set it to do so automatically. Unlike the windows store apps, that can be automated so you don’t have to worry about it, but I’d still advise doing it manually from time to time just to make sure you haven’t missed anything.

Once those are done, check your performance, and if it’s still bad, then setup your Nvidia Control Panel, various windows settings, and MSFS settings according to the instructions in post one of this thread. Thanks belong with @CptLucky8 who is the author of that post and associated instructions.

If that STILL doesn’t work, then remove any CPU and GPU overclocks that you have. Note that some motherboards will automatically overclock CPUs, so even if you think you aren’t overclocked, you might be, and you’ll have to have a discussion with your BIOS utility to solve that. To access that you typically would hit F2 or the delete key during the boot process to send you into your BIOS setup utility. It can be difficult to know exactly when to do that so just hit one or the other key continuously from the time you power on your computer until you find yourself in the BIOS setup. If you reach the Windows login screen, you missed it, so reboot, and try hitting DEL again, over and over and over again until it works properly. I can’t help you with your BIOS as they’re all different depending on what make and model motherboard you have, but google is your friend if you don’t already know how to do that.

If that still doesn’t work, then empty your Community folder (no need to delete, just cut and paste the files into a different location, or even better, use a management tool like this one.

If the problems persist, the next step is to try installing MSFS on another computer in your household to see if it has the same problems you’re experiencing. If it does not, then the hard part starts. Because that means definitively that your computer is somehow the responsible party, but exactly how will be extremely hard to ascertain. I would personally start by temporarily removing RAM modules to see if you have a bad one that is the culprit. And just because they may work completely fine with anything else, they could still be an issue for MSFS as it stresses hardware like nothing else on your computer, unless you’re literally running CIA level cryptoanalysis stuff. If testing the RAM by selectively removing sticks doesn’t reveal the culprit, then you’re in deep poopoo. Because we still know the problem is your computer because you tested a different one and it worked (btw, if you test another one and it doesn’t work properly, then it’s probably your Internet connection that is at fault.). At that point, I’d say the next most likely thing is your power supply, but it could literally be ANYTHING that’s inside your computer. Your CPU, your GPU, the motherboard, chipset, like I said, ANYTHING. So I hope your detective skills are up to date, because you’re gonna need them.

Anyway, good luck, if you have questions, hit me up and I’ll do what I can.

5 Likes