FPS in VR are so painfull

@Bagpipe4925 It’s not an “absolute joke”. Hundreds of thousands of people are routinely using the sim without having serious problems like you are, although probably not that many if we’re specifically talking VR. But myself and many, many others use VR in MSFS on a daily basis and it works fine.

So what that tells me is that there’s something wrong with your specific installation. Unfortunately, the list of things that it might be is long, and some of them are very difficult to troubleshoot, but I’ll give you a list of “usual suspects” to try first.

First, make sure you have WMR and OXR (both available from the Windows store) installed and updated to the current version. It may be a manual process to update windows store apps, so you open the store app, click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner, and then click on “Downloads and Updates”. When you do that you’ll see a screen that has all your apps, with a button in the upper right that says “Get updates”.

Click on that button. If it comes up with any updates, then make sure they are installed and continue hitting the “Get updates” button until it says “You’re good to go”. Unfortunately, this is a manual process, so you’ll have to remember to do it on a regular basis, I like to do it at least once a week, or when someone here or in any of the other MSFS forums I participate in posts about a new update having been released. If you don’t have those apps, you can acquire them from the store app (they are free). You’re looking for “Mixed Reality Portal”, and “OpenXR Developer tools for Windows”, even though the commonly used names are WMR and OXR.

Next make sure windows itself is updated and stays that way. In the search box near your windows button on your taskbar, simply type “Update” to take you to the utility that will allow you to ensure that is done. You should also set it to do so automatically. Unlike the windows store apps, that can be automated so you don’t have to worry about it, but I’d still advise doing it manually from time to time just to make sure you haven’t missed anything.

Once those are done, check your performance, and if it’s still bad, then setup your Nvidia Control Panel, various windows settings, and MSFS settings according to the instructions in post one of this thread. Thanks belong with @CptLucky8 who is the author of that post and associated instructions.

If that STILL doesn’t work, then remove any CPU and GPU overclocks that you have. Note that some motherboards will automatically overclock CPUs, so even if you think you aren’t overclocked, you might be, and you’ll have to have a discussion with your BIOS utility to solve that. To access that you typically would hit F2 or the delete key during the boot process to send you into your BIOS setup utility. It can be difficult to know exactly when to do that so just hit one or the other key continuously from the time you power on your computer until you find yourself in the BIOS setup. If you reach the Windows login screen, you missed it, so reboot, and try hitting DEL again, over and over and over again until it works properly. I can’t help you with your BIOS as they’re all different depending on what make and model motherboard you have, but google is your friend if you don’t already know how to do that.

If that still doesn’t work, then empty your Community folder (no need to delete, just cut and paste the files into a different location, or even better, use a management tool like this one.

If the problems persist, the next step is to try installing MSFS on another computer in your household to see if it has the same problems you’re experiencing. If it does not, then the hard part starts. Because that means definitively that your computer is somehow the responsible party, but exactly how will be extremely hard to ascertain. I would personally start by temporarily removing RAM modules to see if you have a bad one that is the culprit. And just because they may work completely fine with anything else, they could still be an issue for MSFS as it stresses hardware like nothing else on your computer, unless you’re literally running CIA level cryptoanalysis stuff. If testing the RAM by selectively removing sticks doesn’t reveal the culprit, then you’re in deep poopoo. Because we still know the problem is your computer because you tested a different one and it worked (btw, if you test another one and it doesn’t work properly, then it’s probably your Internet connection that is at fault.). At that point, I’d say the next most likely thing is your power supply, but it could literally be ANYTHING that’s inside your computer. Your CPU, your GPU, the motherboard, chipset, like I said, ANYTHING. So I hope your detective skills are up to date, because you’re gonna need them.

Anyway, good luck, if you have questions, hit me up and I’ll do what I can.

5 Likes