FPS / Performance Drop in Drone / Developer / Top Down Camera

Hello All,

I’m having an issue with views in developer mode and the drone camera. I am trying to learn to work on scenery. I am starting by trying to rearrange parking spots at one of the airports I fly to regularly.

My issue is this: When I select one of the dev mode cameras and move around (generally in the up/down direction, think “altitude”), my performance quite literally falls off of a proverbial cliff. I’m talking, like, I’m only getting 1 or 2 fps. I looked at my task manager and noticed that what appears to be happening is that some of my CPU cores are maxed, some are not, and it is causing a strange bottleneck.

Very specifically, it appears my problem is caused by ascending the view when in “Developer Camera” and descending when in “Top Down Camera”.

My specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600X
  • EVGA 3060 (12 GB VRAM)
  • MSI B450M Gaming Plus MoBo
  • 16GB RAM (3200MHz)
  • MSFS on a SATA SSD
  • Good 1Gbps internet connection

Looking at the in-game FPS counter while this is happening, it shows that I am going between being Limited by MainThread and Limited by Manipulators. My GPU usage is usually less than 40%, most often in the 1s or 10s % while this is happening (my thoughts are, that is likely due to a bottleneck because CPU is struggling). I cannot access the “Esc” menu, I have to click on something multiple times for it to register that I have clicked on it. In basic terms, it freezes the game. The only way to correct it is to Alt+F4 out or use End Task.

I will add that I get pretty good performance when not using one of these cameras (flying or otherwise) and am overall impressed with what my system can do in this extremely hungry sim. I am unsure if this is a bug that needs to be reported or if I am doing something wildly wrong that I am not seeing.

I’d be grateful for anyone’s take on the issue. If there is something pertinent I have left out, please ask. I have been very frustrated by this.

1 Like

I just made the strangest discovery… Apparently, the issue seems to be only tied to when I use the “R” and “F” keys to ascend/descend in those cameras. Either way, I think that solved the issue (at least created a workaround).

1 Like

Hi @nomad12274362, and a warm welcome back to the forums. Glad to see you got your issue sorted out, or at least found a suitable woraround.

Now that you are back, please check out the Code of Conduct to reacquaint yourself with the rules of the road in the forums. There is also a Forum Guide where you can review the features available to you here.

Again, welcome back!

Hello! Have a similar situation. Whenever I select the drone camera, and move it forward (have it assigned to a button on my controller) my fps drops like yours, and nothing I do can get me back to cockpit view or to interact in any way with the sim, I have to close it and start all over again. Haven’t tried other ways to move the drone camera but it happens every time I do it. Any other ideas? what I saw was not an increase on my cpu, but the gpu usage drops to 0%.

I find after say 20 mins when editing in the project that the fps drops off the cliff as you describe regardless of what I’m doing.
Only way round it is to restart the sim as when it does this if i quite to the main menu the loading bar takes forever usually end up alt +f4 to close the sim. So currently every 20 mins i will have to restart the sim when editing a project.