FPS very low for my PC which is over recommended specs

Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with the frame rate in MSFS 2020.

I often see very low fps of around 10 and when at an airport (especially the handcrafted airports) my fps continuously stays low meaning that my experience isn’t good as there is a lot of lag and stuttering.

My PC is over the recommended specs. I have:

GPU: GeForce Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (Overclocked - Core Clock +60, Memory Clock +800)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12 core) (Overclocked to 4.6)
I have the latest NVIDIA Drivers (456.71)
32GB of RAM

I’ve seen people with a 1070ti and i7 get 80fps in cruise and better fps and performance overall which surprises me.

On final into KLAX, I was only getting 13 frames, which means I cannot enjoy the experience as well as I can.

Furthermore, I am running the simulator on medium settings with some individual settings set to low and using my monitor’s resolution.

It would be great to get a better understanding as to why this is happening to my PC and methods to fix this.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Me too, ultra settings on same spec except 2080super
Getting around 35-40fps and still limited by main thread

1 Like

I run around 60-70 fps over new york city on Ultra settings, takeoff/land at KLGA.
i7-8700k 5 ghz all cores
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
32gb ram (3200 mhz on xmp)

1 Like

What is your RAM speed? Is it on XMP?

Best advice with those specs, remove any and all overclocks where possible.

Return settings to default in game.

Remove any add ins from your add on folder. Only run default add ins from market place. You can add them back later once your frames are up.

Nvidia GeForce experience, make sure it has not optimised your game.

Use the optimised for Ryzen power plan.

Run the sim and fly with out adjusting settings.

Make sure your main g card if the priority and MSFS isn’t prioritizing any onboard g cards.

Also make sure hardware optimisation isn’t enabled in your windows settings.

I’ll be back shortly to paste a great thread for good settings.

We have similar settings, you have a better processor than me, I’m getting 60 frames at 5k on a 50 super ultra wide monitor. You should be somewhere similar.

What is becoming increasingly clear is that many users with similar settings are getting vary varied results… go vanilla and work up from there.

It could be as I found, that the system went to default settings, not what I set, after a patch, and then nvidia control panel disappeared as I installed a version of nvidia drivers that don’t support it. Having the latest driver set wasn’t a knowingly good thing. I had to roll back twice and download a specific driver.

Ryzen 3700 no overclocks
32 gig optimised for Ryzen 3200 ram
EVGA 2070 super no overclocks

Only running sim connect/ fse and face tracking/ track no or.

50 60 FPS on ultra mainly ga flying uk and Texas/ Missouri/Arkansas. Only setting not on ultra is glass cockpit refresh and I have lod at 100.

Once your satisfied with a vanilla set up, then push your boundaries, you should be killing the frames and by that I mean being north of 30 frames easily and happily on ultra.

3 Likes

Interesting. Mind is set as optimized so I will change that. Do u set parameters on the higher or lower sides.

Probably You have 4k resolution. Change it to 2K.

Don’t set anything… don’t let it optimise. You want vanilla… only later do you want to do anything other than default.

Nvidia GeForce experience will only lower your settings, with out you setting it.

Do that later once you have the frames.

1 Like

Can you please provide your monitors resolution. Hopefully you’re running 2k and not 4k.
The thing is turning down the graphic settings won’t really fix it as the airports are cpu heavy.Try to start reducing cpu settings like AI traffic.
I will say this again the sim has issues @ the handcrafted airports.
Not everyone here is entitled and own a 3090.

Sure you would KLGA is a generic airport.Not handcrafted and not much stuff going at LGA that would cause the sim to be limited by the mainthread. Lets put somewhere like LFPG into play.

50-55 fps there on the field and directly above.

Interesting what resolution,hard to believe anyone getting 50fps at Paris even on a 3090.Please provide a screenshot.I am referring to the main terminal in an airliner.

You seem the kind of guy that will never be satisfied with a person’s word. My monitor is 2k, but I upped my scale to render 4k to make you happy, and in your location.

My word of advise for this thread is simple, faster CPU and memory will make some difference. 4k on a 3090 is still slightly CPU bound.

Actually it is rendered in 4k, because I knew you would comment like that. Read the top right corner.

Hey you did what you have to move tf on! .Reduces his res to 2k.I wasn’t born yesterday. Shows you your 3090 is struggling in 4k with this sim

There is a good case for stating that there is no such thing as an over specified machine when it comes to flight simming! Haha.

So, with that in mind, think about your ‘poor’ performance in the light of the fact that there is always a bottleneck. The solution then becomes a ‘game’ of chase the bottleneck.

Obvious bottlenecks are:

The CPU.
The GPU.
The RAM.
The storage medium.
And even the sim software itself!

So how do we proceed? Well, use experience and or research [there is a lot of goodly advice in these very forums] to first locate your bottleneck. And if that turns out to be, for instance, the CPU or GPU well, often the only solution is to upgrade. But, a word of caution here, upgrading should be all about synergy. After all, only an idiot would put a jet engine in a mini [wouldn’t they?].

However, if you judge that the hardware is NOT the problem, then we are just left with the software. The sim software itself! And here [as I am sure you are aware] is where things can get very murky, very quickly.
My best advice? Simplify! Go back to first principals as it were! As has already been intimated, take your sim installation back to vanilla, reset all your settings to stock and remove any and all mods [at least temporarily]. Again, a bit of research on this forum should now help you to move forward.

And my final word! Do not take any advise [including mine] at face value. There are many purveyors of snake oil out there who will tell you with absolute conviction that they possess the miracle ‘fix’ that you need, when often, it doesn’t even exist!

I apologise for going on somewhat.
I hope it helps.

2 Likes

This is a great answer, and don’t forget to turn on dev mode as that can help you pinpoint your current bottleneck.

1 Like

Unlike your silly reply trying to flex your rig in the first comment wasn’t helpful just bragging rights and before you want to say I envy your rig saying you get 60fps or whatever doesn’t help the OP fix his issue. I may not have an adequate solution but I was at least trying to help. Get lost mate.
We don’t need your bragging rights here, save it for another thread.
Read through the forums a bit more several people are having this issue.Dont have this issue? Then shut up and move along.

Wow, you are really angry, lol.

lighten up francis

:beers:

1 Like