Frame generation lowers base performance (Mainthread hit)

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes and no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes it doesn’t affect it

Brief description of the issue:

When enabling Frame Generation, the base fps is being hit quite a bit.
I mainly see a hard hit to the mainthread.
Frame generation should not hit base performance this heavily.
What I tried so far:
• other airplanes and sceneries
• without any addons in my community folder
• low settings
• Vsync off and on
• An older nvidia driver even without geforce experience installed so no overlay.
• I tried swapping the DLSS file to a new one as well which did not help.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

OFF
ON

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just turn on frame generation and check your performance in the dev tools.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Latest driver including older ones

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

5800X3D - 32GB CL14 RAM - RTX4080 - Windows 11
3x 165hz 1440p displays

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

As I understand things, the develooer mode fps does not measure frame gen. So in reality your fps is 140 or so!
Use the nvidia fps overlay if you want a real figure

That’s not my point, i know FG doubles my real frames if i open up rivatuner or nvidia overlay it shows it.
the base performance should not hit this hard with frame generation.
there is clearly something wrong here.

I just quit the beta and went back to live version, still the same (can replicate it) so it is not a beta issue.

SOMETHING will always impact base performance and limit FPS, mostly GPU or Main Thread. The dev mode FPS display will never say “Limited by NOTHING”.

There are plenty of knobs, tools, switches, and YouTube videos to help users determine their optimal setup or more precisely choose what will limit FPS. Enabling or disabling frame generation only moves the bottleneck around. There will always be new hardware or coding improvements that help increase FPS but something will always limit it.

There is a possibility that there is a bug in NVIDIA frame generation that impact MSFS and other graphical apps. If so, this bug should be fixed by NVIDIA. Maybe this should be reported to NVIDIA.

I think the point is: if anything, Frame Generation should be a hit to the GPU performance and not the Main Thread - which with most high end geaphics cards is overtaxed anyway.
So having the latency increase by several ms is just another step into the wrong direction.

In fact with my setup (7950X3D RTX 4090 64GB DDR5) I am UNABLE to get MSFS to be limited by GPU even if I switch off traffic, live weather and set the LODs to 0.
With my previous 5800X3D and 3080TI it was still possible

This heavy dependence on Main Thread is really making it difficult to balance things out.

It might be, but the studio themselves can report it to nvidia as well if it misbehaves on their title.
But as I said in another post, it behaves as it should in other FG capable titles without a hefty CPU hit.
It just does this in MSFS.

Hi guys
I need help
im gtting less fps with frame generation on it should be opposite.
Thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhx