[Freeware] Air Force Armilla (LEGA)

Armilla is one of the oldest airfields in Spain and it´s located next to Granada, in the heart of Sierra Nevada mountains. This base is currently not existing in game. Armilla is the homebase of Air Force Wing 78 that includes the Air Force helicopter school and Patrulla ASPA, which is one of the very few helicopter aerobatic teams in the world. Wing 78 operates Sikorsky S-76 and Colibri helicopters. S-76s also perform SAR missions as a secondary task while their main purpose is the helicopter school. S-76s are being replaced by H135s during 2023 as they are at the end of their lifespan. Base is prepared for fixed wing operations as well and even to receive cargo airplanes using south apron for that purpose, where you will find a parking position for heavy helicopters and cargo. Main runway is often used as FATO by helicopter formations and a VFR helipad located directly on north taxiway is also available. Patrulla ASPA uses the northernmost portion of north apron while helicopter school uses the other portion of north apron. The school has an additional set of 6 dedicated shorter runways/aprons, a small cargo apron and several helipads to the west of main runway. There´s a specific non-paved taxiway circuit that connects them with main aprons. Base also has a small museum, a fuel depot and one ammunition storage bunker located to the south of aprons.

Complete features list of the addon is the following:

• Accurate representation of base layout and its key areas, including the preserved monuments existing in the real base, which include a biplane.

• ERSI satellite textures used for the whole base (area is currently blurried in game) with color tone adaptation and lots of corrections to better match the surrounding original areas.

• Sloped terrain, runways, aprons and taxiways following the real base terrain elevation.

• Main runway, aprons, VFR helipad at north taxiway and all parking positions included.

• School area including:

1. Dedicated IFR runway 18A-36A (apron A).
  2. A set of 5 additional aprons with parkings and helipads (aprons B to F).
  3. Dedicated non paved W1/W2 taxiways.
  4. IFR helipad next to runways and 2 more helipads between W1/W2 taxiways.
  5. Cargo apron to the west of runways.
  • Open hangar with parking position inside at south apron. Doors are closed automatically at dusk.

• Gear failure platform (pile of tires) to the south of control tower.

• Calibration compass rose to the south of fuel depot.

• Working TACAN (TGR 78X), which is configured as VORTAC in game (TGR 113.10) to allow its usage as VOR on standard helicopters.

• PAPI on runway 36 and VFR helipad only (according to latest charts).

• Lights, taxiway signs and gable cones.

• Fuel box and ground services included to take advantage of all game features. In real base they just use a fuel truck.

• Several preserved monuments including a biplane at the museum area.

• Custom vegetation and multiple small details added such as static helicopters, marshallers, working crews and decoration.

• As a bonus three visual landmarks outside base perimeter are included: gas station, water tower and comms antenna.

NOTES:

In order to allow PAPI installation a invisible runway 02-20 had to be added to VFR TLOF to match the real airport procedures. This is a MSFS constraint as helipads don´t support PAPI without a runway yet and it will be removed as soon as helipads support PAPI.

Due to MSFS ATC limitations tower will not assign a helipad for landing but always a runway. So when main runway 18-36 is assigned you can still land at VFR TLOF if you want. On the other hand when school runway 18A-36A is assigned you can use any of the school area helipads as well as A to F aprons and the school cargo apron to land. You can also request a different runway to ATC when it´s assigned to you, except runway 02-20 as it´s too small for ATC to use it. The gear failure platform can be used at any time in case of emergencies.

KNOWN ISSUE:

As original base area is deleted on default game some autogen buildings will not be created in the streets next to base perimeter. Currently it´s not possible to create custom autogen definitions on editor to correct that issue as those buildings are injected via scripts by game engine directly.

Airport does not include any custom approach, as most operations are visual or are supported by Armilla TACAN and the nearby Granada NDB. You can find the official charts here: AIP España

The addon requires official game content from several airport addons. Therefore you need to install the World Updates and the 40th anniversary content as well.

You can download the addon here:

6 Likes

This looks superb, I’ll get it later tonight. :+1:

Well done :pray:

Thanks. It appeared to be a simple base when I started the project some days ago but I found a lot of technical complexity during edition to reproduce the real assets and the base layout in game. But I think final result was quite close to the real thing. I hope you like it.

Cheers

Excellent work!! Excelent!!

Thanks a lot. Nice to read that you liked it.

Cheers

Hola!

I’ve found a pair of issues with the scenery. The first one is the dual runway markings, especially in the THR RWY 18.

Second one is that some taxiways are elevated, creating high slopes when connecting with other ones.

In any case, I really like this scenary, muchas gracias!!

Hi. Do you have any other addon for Armilla base installed or did you install it in the past? I think there are at least two published… If so please delete that and keep mine only. I also see on the first picture that you are missing the north workshop. There must be two workshops at north apron. This means you don´t have all world updates installed, so please check that all official content is installed.

Additionally please try to rebuild scenery indexes by deleting everything inside:

\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

Game will create new indexes during game launch and remove the old indexes for the other Armilla addons in case you had it, so it´s completely safe to do it. That first game launch may take longer until all indexes are generated again but later one game will launch normally.

The aprons and taxiways have proper slopes in my addon to match the real terrain elevation in the area and to work with default terrain area in game. Once you have completed those steps I described above you should see everything working well with my addon.

Cheers

I can confirm I cannot replicate those issues. It’s really well done. The other thing to check is that you have the world updates for the region installed too.

1 Like

Hi there! I have the exact same issue @mrjmt2625 is having. I have all world updates installed and no other LEGA addons. @mrjmt2625 did you find what the problem is? Thanks.

Did you remove SceneryIndexes folder?

Cheers

Yes I have, but I’ll try again and see

I deleted the cache and indexes and the issue is still there. I have heard that sometimes navigraph causes this sort of problems. I’ll check and report back. Otherwise your addon is superb

I can confirm is a conflict with Navigraph. I am trying to troubleshoot. If I find a solution I’ll let you know

1 Like

Hello, I didn’t find the issue. I also have navigraph installed

Good Morning all.

Yesterday I went through these solutions suggested in Navigraph forums

FAQ - MSFS Scenery-File re-organisation / initialization - Navigation Data / FAQ - Navigraph

Double Runway at LFTH - Navigation Data / Airport Scenery - Navigraph

Unfortunatelly none worked for me (some how the re-ordering tool in MSFS doesnt work in my case, even when I turn it on and press save and apply it turns it self off before I press FLY)

Some developers found different solutions:

RPLK Double Runway Issue - Navigation Data / Airport Scenery - Navigraph

I cannot ask @geloxo to try any of these really, as you have made a tremendous work with LEGA and other scenery with payware quality but, if you decide to experiment I’ll be please to beta test.

For now, I will keep using your LEGA (although using only the main parking -CARGO 14- for me).

Thanks again @geloxo and sorry I cannot help further.

1 Like

Unfortunatelly I can’t experiment nor test navigraph as I don’t own such product. The only thing I can imagine to work is to load LEGA addon after navigraph, so that LEGA airport and TACAN data prevails over the navigraph ones for that airport.

Cheers