[Freeware] Missing airports - St Helena, Ascension, Barra, Kai Tak Hong Kong, Tresco, Gaza, Vagar - Faroes, Thule

This is a collection of a bunch of airports I’ve been fiddling with and were the most glaring omissions from the sim for me.

I’m finding many aspects of the SDK a pain up the ■■■■ so there will be elements that don’t work. I might also have lost interest at various points and done a few shortcuts with the look or details but they’re present and you can land on them. Updates will be on the linked pages so keep note if you’re interested.

8 Likes

Well done for finally putting these together, I was going to do it myself and glad that someone has taken time to do this, especially St Helena :and why this airport is not part of the landing challenges is beyond myself as this airport has 15kt tailwinds :wink:

They’re all quite a way from being A1, the whole taxiing system is driving me batty in particular, but I’ll get there in the end. Enjoy.

Yeah join the club with about the system but unfortunately the developers have taken a vow of silence and presently located in a French Monastery :wink: lol hehehe (Joke guys)

You probably need Walvis bay as well as this is part of the flight plan from Johannesburg, South Africa if conditions are bad or a need for a fuel stop . Great video detailing the flight if only we had the Embraer 190 available :frowning:

That’s not in the sim? If not then I’ll do that next but it would be a shame to have to replace that cool terminal with something generic.

Edit, ah it’s in there.

You can JUST get a 747 on and off St Helena. I doubt that reflects reality somehow.

I’d really need to get into 3D modelling to do a better job of the existing airports and I’m clueless when it comes to that so far. The selection of in sim objects to play with is very limited.

My winter project will be to procure a real 747, head over there and see what happens. Should be fun.

1 Like

Yeah. Pure gobbledigook.

If I’m immobilised for a few weeks I’ll devote the time to learning it but it may be beyond my patience levels.

It looks like insane overkill for making a building or two.

I am literally here, on this thread today, because I was annoyed that Vagar wasn’t on the map for the next leg of my GA Atlantic crossing. I wish all ICAO designated airports would be present, but especially along the North Atlantic GA ferry corridor.

For the love of god we need taxi instructions or at least taxiways labelled on the map rather than just Ground spouting letters!!!

I’m still utterly stumped by taxiways in general. I can’t create anything that works with the AI or get the ATC to be responsive with a scratch built airport. Someone needs to put together a proper tutorial for this because I haven’t really progressed with that at all.

Great job, particularly in adding Barra - I raised the lack of beach early in the Alpha process so it’s great to see it finally in here!

It’s a bit crude and the AI goes mad but it gets the job done. If they ever get around to adding it properly I’ll be interested to see how they do it differently.

1 Like

AI doesn’t bother me as I do all my flying online although appreciate it’s not for everyone!

I’ve downloaded it and will take a look over the weekend - if there’s anything I can suggest, I’ll let you know…

Please do so. No one seems to say much but I presume there are some flaws I’ve missed big time.

The taxiways are a bit silly as I was trying to accommodate the AI’s mindlessness and the shoreline is a tad weird but I matched it to the runway edges to give maximum terror.

One thing I can’t solve, and it’s the same with others, is the AI and ATC favouring the wrong runways, wrong ends of runways or not seeing certain runways at all. Not sure how to cure that yet.

1 Like