Freeware Rotor Sim Pilot Robinson R44 Out Now

it’s harder only after overdose with speed, collective, banking, if fly gentle is much easier, you can recover bell47 when problem start, if problem start in this model you can just wait when she kiss the ground, and most annoying is correcting, so i think i stop flight 44 till next update

Actually I have noticed this too. I’m almost wondering if the current flight model has a lag or a delay time in reacting to control movements. This would be why it is harder to control. Because if there is a delay in response to a control movement, then as the pilot we will always be reacting to a delay which will just make the situation worse.

I have an R44 endorsement IRL and this model is very realistic and is probably better than the fixed wing flight model. Please have a go!

1 Like

Thank you for your experience-based comments. Could you please give some perspective on my speculation regarding delayed control response. Are you seeing that in any way? Or might it be indicative of pilot error (over correction) or inaccurate control calibration?

1 Like

The 44 is like flying Miss Daisy compared to the R22. Things happen slower as there is more weight in a bigger machine.

The control response tightens up as you hit 100 Knots Indicated Airpspeed.

To get it to fly realistic you need proper helicopter controls ( no springs in the cyclic or torque pedals ) and a proper collective . If you have this then you can set the Airlandia settings at 100% for all the 3 settings .

I had the benefit of doing what is called a shallow running landing for real during a flight test two days ago and an hour later in the sim . I have to say I could hardly feel any real difference in controls.

Just keep in mind it can take 20 hours in a real machine to get fairly good at a hover and most people take 60 hours to pass a flight test so don’t expect to master this is in 1 day.

Hang in there brother and do the time as to hover a helicopter is simply heavenly.

May i suggest you book a 1 hour trial flight in an R22 as this will improve your ability in the sim massively!

1 Like

I read the comments. The flight model and physics of the R44 helicopter are very poor. The worst helicopter that a third party developer added to the simulator. Joke … My pilot friend also tried and tested the helicopter.

In terms of realism, the order is as follows:

1. Bell 47 FlyInside
  2. H 145 Hype
  3. R 44

My opinion is that we have to wait for the physics and flight dynamics of the Microsoft / Asobo helicopter.

I currently recommend the FlyInside Bell 47 or Hype H145 helicopter.

Have a nice flight!

Anybody knows how i get the r44 of the ground? The collective goes up but norhing happens, its probably the throttle but how do you control it?

Go into the folder “…\Community\rsp-r44\AirlandFS” and launch the AirlandFS.exe. Leave it running while using the helicopter.

1 Like

Thanks mate

Keep the topic on: “Freeware Rotor Sim Pilot Robinson R44 Out Now”. Do not direct posts to others. Many posts have taken this off-topic and have been removed.

To add to this, I’ve found that you have to launch it after you load into the flight. If I launch the app before the sim and load into a flight, it doesn’t see the heli.

I leave the app off until I set up my flight and then hit FLY. Once I hit that and the flight is loading I hit my windows button to bring up my task bar and then I launch the app. Seems to work fine that way.

1 Like

Launching app after setting up flight is even more inconvenient in VR.
It would be much better if the app could be started first, and then activate when it detects correct aircraft (helicopter) selected in MSFS (and deactivate when other aircraft is selected).

You can just load the appropriate profile if nothing shows up after you launch the app.

The profiles are located in the folder: Community\rsp-r44\AirlandFS\Profiles
I usually select the R44 Fred profile that’s already in there.

1 Like

Sorry but what? You must be a troll lol

Downloaded and took a quick test flight with the new version.
Heli seems much more stable and easier to control. So far, no complaints.

Yup, much easier to handle. Very nice.

Have just been trying the Alpha 2 release, improving nicely already noticeably better than the original version. Really quite tame to fly even with the sliders to the right - but I can see this really improving over time especially once the sim provides some level of support to helicopters.

Yeah Alpha-2 version has improved the handling of the heli… No more of that cyclic response delays and sluggishness. The thing that confused me is that the “lack of tail rotor authority” but unsure whether this is just the R44. At IGE hover, I use 95% left pedal already! Does the real thing behave like this?

Beta 1 released folks

This thing reminds me of the only realistic chopper that ever existed for fsx, the dodosim 206. Congrats to the developers