Freeware

The beloved freeware stuff. Ive had much joy from digging into the freeware industry for fsx etc. Will there be anything of this in msfs2020? Many freeware planes are payware quality and should fly in this new world.

1 Like

It is up to 3 party developers.

1 Like

You know what I mean? Not talking about 3rd party developers freeware to customers but user made freeware.

I hope so. I have been making freeware stuff for FSX for years and I canā€™t wait to do that soon with MSFS.
Even as an Alpha insider we had no access to the SDK so there is no much freeware going right now but I hope there will be soon.
You can use FSX (Native) in MSFS if you change the model in the settings to ā€œLegacyā€ instead of ā€œModernā€. This change however will affect All your planes, even the MSFS ones.
I never tried it but it has been said it works.

The forum is blocking me from posting a link, but if you look in the airports category here in this forum thereā€™s a link to ā€œDrzewiecki Designā€ and some free community content thereā€¦

Go to options, developer. Enable developer mode and from the menu that will appear on top,go to help-> download SDK and you can start developing freeware yourself!
I want to create some content. Specially for my local airport which is autogen and could be greatly improved.
I hope there will soon be videos all over YouTube with tutorials so anyone can contribute.

3 Likes

Drzewiecki Design Releases Free Warsaw City Airports for MSFS this one?

1 Like

I think that is a good option.
For example: my ā€˜home-baseā€™ ( EHTE) deserves much better detail.
IRL thereā€™s a hotel plane, the Ilyushin Il-18V, DDR-STD ( ex-Erich Honecker)
In fs2020 itā€™s a brick building with the vaque shape of the plane :sweat_smile:
I know itā€™s technically close to impossible to have the whole world in high detail but to be honest: I felt a bit disappointed.
The first VFR flight this morning brought me to my house in Wierden and yes, I was able to find it by following the roads but the house was a disaster.
But okā€¦ as long as youā€™re at least 1500ft AGL, itā€™s surely acceptable.
Just flew around Saint-BarthƩlemy and that is a perfect example of how things should look, at least the airfield and close surroundings.
MS and partners did a great job so far but thereā€™s always room for improvement :muscle: :+1:

1 Like

Depending on how easy the SDK is, we could contribute to improve thee regions near us.
IIRC, when google maps launched back in 200xā€¦ there was an option to handcraft the buildings in 3D by the community. We could have the same thing for MSFS2020.
At least Iā€™m willing to try,.

SDK is easy if you have experience in development, if not it may be overwhelming but certainly learnable

1 Like

Any resources you can provide?

Have a read of the documentation. If you havenā€™t got experience in development, I would start making some models in Unity for example and understanding how textures and 3D models work.

But that is google mapsā€¦ FS in using Bingā€¦

I know, I was just mentioning that feature as an example of how they provided tools for people to submit their ā€œfixesā€ or improvements to the maps.
All-powerful microsoft could do the same, I guessā€¦

I hope so. if I you change the model

Some freeware aircraft at flightsimsquadron dot com - more for Sci-Fi fans