Fresh MSFS install worth it?

Wait for the next patch instead.

Yes, twice

Yeah I think that’s the plan now

I would look into getting a sound card to handle audio independantly instead of through the motherboard and ensure the game is running at least on an SSD - preferable using NVMe. Along with the 27th patch this should sort out a lot of performance issues.

I really don’t see the value in re-installing unless you have installed the game on a mechanical drive which I definately would not recommend.

I have the latest version update of msfs 2020 on my pc and i have a 512gb ssd. I really am looking forward anxiously to the July 27th big boost performance update to the sim itll make the sim easier to fly in and also been getting some audio stuttering here and there in the sim when flying. I certainly hope that alot will b fixed and vastly improved once sim update 5 rolls out on the 27th later this month. I have had the game since October of 2020 and i truly enjoy the immersive experience i have come to in playing the game I love.

I tried this a few weeks back as I had upgraded and done a migration of my main windows drive which also had MSFS on it and wanted to be sure everything was working as it should.
After uninstalling and reinstalling I saw zero change or improvements.

Windows 11 is not windows 11 yet. It’s windows 10 kernel with windows 11 visual. So no matter what you do. There will not be any significant changes. Yes there could be a slight change in the frames but that’s just because 11 isn’t finished yet. You probably won’t see a difference in anything until September or October when the beta version of the OS is released. When it comes down to the OS. Games change over time. Supposedly 60% increase with this next patch. So if that’s true I’ll be enjoying my flights at around 60-80fps at 2k high end. 30-60fps at 2k ultra

A reinstall doesn’t boost you’re fps. You’re imagining things. I installed the beta. Not all that impressed with it. It’s basically win10 with things in different places. Not the big hoopla the CEO us making it out to be. Just my opinion.

What it has done - for me at any rate - is mitigate some of the CTD events others are reporting. I did a “clean install” of SU5; it has not been without issues (widely reported) but CTD events seem to be gone (for me) and the performance is smooth and stable.

Did a fresh install help? Can’t say for certain, but the empirical evidence would lead me to believe it was a good choice.

4 Likes

Glad it’s working for you. I was just pointing out that a reinstall doesn’t have anything to do with fps. I see pretty much the exact performance on both 10 and 11. 11 has some audio driver issues I believe. The sound in the cockpit isn’t as loud as it was on 10. Could be the drivers. But it’s a beta so things like that are expected. I’ll more than likely go back to 10 before my 10 days is up.

Think what you will but a reinstall did in fact fix most of my CTDs to the point I’m rarely crashing. At the time I wrote this I reinstalled win10 , not 11. And when I checked my FPS it was higher than what I was getting before the wipe and install. I’m guessing the wipe/install removed years of old drivers and other .dll files and such from upgrading multiple gpus, at least two motherboards, and a lot of software such as ms visual studio which seemed to leave a large footprint even after it was removed. So I stand by my previous post in stating I saw improvements in not only stability but performance, even if small.

There’s a great little utility called simply DDU. It wipes all of the display drivers from your system. Then you know without a doubt you’re getting a “clean” installation.

CCleaner is another great tool for removing old/outdated/orphaned registry entries.

I use them both to help get things “neat and tidy.” :slight_smile:

Used DDU but still had old nvidia ‘ghost’ files showing up in the task manager. Again, this was an old pc with lots of “experiments” installed and fairly sure there were some permissions issues from different encryptions added then removed. I stopped using ccleaner years ago. Thought i read somewhere that their program got compromised and poised a risk. The only reason I really returned to pc gaming and windows in general was for MSFS 2020.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.