Fresh MSFS install worth it?

So i am considering reinstalling the sim, just to see if it can help the performance at all. I installed the sim on launch, and there has been many changes so it might be worth it.

Would like to hear from someone who did a fresh install if they noticed any improvement.

If i do a fresh install, will i have to reinstall all the world update scenery packs too?

1 Like

I’m also curious if this solves any other issues, i.e. can’t update…

I did it couple of times, can’t say it has improved my performance. It was same as before.

I believe once you do a clean uninstall, you’d need to download the world update files from the content manager. However, your game should be updated to the latest version once you press the installation button.

I see, well thx for the info.

I recently started having these horribly annoying audio stutters that happen every few seconds, all my drivers are fine so guess i might try a fresh install just for that.

If a fresh install meant a reduction in microstutters id have done it yesterday

1 Like

Personally id only try this if it was running unnexpectedly bad compared to others on smae pc specs or if getting constant CTD’s.

1 Like

Umm sorry, can you describe a bit what sort of issue you are experiencing? Like your audio goes completely off and during that period you experience stutters?

1 Like

Can’t see any reason why.

Same issue here.

I’ve given up trying to install MSFS deluxe. Followed all the suggestions from microsoft and other contributers without success. I did install it ok on first purchase but due to a fault I tried to re-install
MSFS and that is the point at which re-installing failed. I can get as far on microsoft store of selecting
install which takea me to: install on my SSD drive but nothing happened and it takes me back to the microsft store. One of the suggestions was to download KB5004476 for a windows correction but checking my PC this is not available for download on my PC.

I’m considering this also but more for saving space : 80 G now with a fresh install instead of about 170 G.
I’m on a 500 G hard drive.

1 Like

You should search the forum on this topic. As I recall, the download size is reduced to 80 GB, but installed size remains around 170 GB. FWIW…

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5004476

Reinstall gaming services.

How to

In windows seacrh bar type
powershell

right click on powershell and select run as administrator

Copy command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell window)

Remove-Item -Path “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices” -Recurse

press enter

Copy command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell window)

Remove-Item -Path “HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet” -Recurse

Copy the command below and paste into powershell (right click to paste into powershell window)

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

press enter

//////////////////////////////////////////
Restart PC.
/////////////////////////////////////////

Turn off AV software (antivirus)

Download Microsoft.GamingServices_2.53.28001.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe.AppxBundle
Right click on it and select install

//////////////////
Restart PC.
/////////////////

IMPORTANT

After that In windows search bar type notepad
Right click on it and select run as administrator
Copy the command below and paste into NOTEPAD

Add-AppxPackage -register “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingServices_2.53.28001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode

Run powershell as administrator
Copy command from notepad and PASTE INTO POWERSHELL

press enter

Restart PC.

I wouldn’t do it until after the July update. That way you can see if it’s your pc or the sim itself. Patience is rewarded in the end.

They are saying there’s issues right now. This patch is supposed to make it better. So I’d put a pin in it and wait.

It would suck to do complete uninstall wait for the Sim to download then install all the content from the content section and it be the same.

Which ever you decide to do is on you. I’m waiting even though I don’t get to many problems that would make me reinstall it again.

I’m running a ryzen 7 3800xt 32gb ram 3070. Play at 2k and it runs smooth but sometimes slows down to about 20fps when landing then smooths out again. No matter where I try to land.

Good luck!!

One thing bothers me about reinstall, do you have to go through all your settings or does it retain any of them? I have mine through the Ms store.

no, thats the download size, installed size is still170 for evrything.

Maaah! Thanks guys. This was a nice dream.

Due to many CTDs and getting ready for Windows 11, I reformatted my SSD and did a complete reinstall of Windows and MSFS. It definitely helped! No more CTDs and performance seems to be 5-7 FPS higher after reinstalling. I believe the improvement came from reinstalling windows and not so much MSFS 2020.

Windows 11 requires secure boot/bit locker and even though my CPU supported the requirements I couldn’t enable them. No doubt this was due to many hardware and software changes over the years and the associated drivers.

The windows 10 install went much faster than expected (maybe two hours at most from a dvd). There’s a new ISO out so not many updates to install. MSFS did need to completely reinstalled and took most of the day with 1 gig fiber to the house.

Keep in mind that I’m running windows and what’s needed for the flight sim, nothing else. No Steam, no RGB led ■■■■ ware, no MS Office, etc.

Quite happy with how’s things turned out and wish I would have reinstalled windows 10 a long time ago, even though I kinda knew in the back of my mind it was causing most of my issues.

Spent the whole weekend flying short and long trips and not one crash. Made a complete back-up of the SSD so if needed I can wipe and install and not have to start from scratch. Now just waiting for any performance boost I’ll see from the late July update.

2 Likes

make a fallback restorepoint now everything works well !!

@ChRlyFoxtrot I reinstalled twice didn’t make any difference still CTD

Did you reinstall both windows and MSFS?