Front view without cockpit

I GOT IT TO WORK!

Thank you Ducky!

I just tried it and can confirm, if you go into the model.cfg file for the aircraft you want, and put a ; before both the cockpit and exterior model.

Find the model.cfg file (in my case for the Pitt’s Special) here:
C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_*************\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-pitts\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Pitts\model\model.cfg
In that file make both of these changes. Just commenting out the interior still leaves all the exterior pieces visibility, but with transparent interior pieces.
[models]
; exterior=Pitts.xml
; interior=Pitts_Interior.xml
Save it, launch, select the plane (you’ll notice the thumbnail for it is gone) and it indeed flies with no models for a wide open view! It’s pretty breathtaking on my 42" HDR TV I use for a monitor.

I did get a crash after finishing a flight, but started right back up with no issue.
A possible option for non destructive of the original files is to copy one of the livery folders and go into the configuration file, but I’d have to play with it to find all the correct settings for a new livery.

Here’s a quick video of it in action (sorry, no screencast, just filmed with my DSLR on my screen.)

4 Likes

So far, with my home cockpit, it is working really well. One unfortunate downside is that without an exterior model there are no landing or taxi lights. If you display the exterior at night, the semi-transparent parts aren’t quite so noticeable and you have lights.
Some things I would like to see:

1. A Modded file outside of core package (for core aircraft).
  2. A way to keep the exterior model but remove the transparent parts. (probably can not be done because these parts may be hard coded in model file)

PlaneMaker is one of the best things about X-Plane 11. The ability to remove parts of the interior and exterior is AWESOME for home cockpit builders.
It’s just something we’ll have to work with (along with multi monitor support) until Asobo addresses these issues.

1 Like

But then how do you see the cockpit when you want to? Is there a way to toggle between these two (visible cockpit/invisible cockpit)? If not, I don’t see it being a solution to anything.

1. You don’t.
  2. There isn’t (unless you change the model file and reload the aircraft in developers mode).

It’s really only useful for cockpit builders who ONLY need to see scenery. Their cockpits (additional monitors for programs like Air Manager, Arduino boards that interface with MSFS for wiring real knobs and switches and displaying radio frequencies on 7 sgment displays or LCD screens etc…, etc…) have all the necessary gauges, radios, GPS so that you don’t have to see the virtual cockpit.
The whole purpose of having a “home built cockpit” is not having to look at a fake one on the computer monitor.
PLUS it saves CPU and GPU processing power by not having to draw the interior or exterior parts of the plane.

1. So YES, it is a “solution” for those of us cockpit builders that want to simulate, as close a possible, the real aircraft environment. Not using a mouse and keyboard to push and turn fake buttons and nobs in a virtual cockpit.
3 Likes

It is not an ideal solution (ie a toggle in the game itself) but it is a solution in so far as you can fly without the cockpit, go back to the menu, edit the file to remove the comment markers, and fly again and the cockpit is back. For what I want (to do a flight sometimes with no cockpit) it’s the best option so far, until Asobo adds this (what I think should be) incredibly simple feature.

Well said.
I’ll give the menu/edit option a try. Edit/reload the plane in Dev mode was a pain. Thanks.
Yes. A simple “Forward With No Cockpit” option with assignable keystroke, a program and ability to edit core aircraft and multi monitor suppot.
I don’t think I’m asking for too much???

1 Like

I see your point, with a home cockpit and external hardware. That facility is badly needed. However, as many agree, it is also needed for just one, or dual monitor setup, whether using external hardware or not. That’s why, even decades ago, MSFS had the ability to hide the cockpit.

1 Like

I think Adobo will get there. Lots on their plate right now.
Happy Flying.

BBS achieved the no cockpit view with their Bird Dog. Wonder how they did it :thinking:

We already have the option to hide the cockpit… it just doesn’t work!

2 Likes

I actually dont mind the View when you change the Z axis in the Camera CFG setting a # to it using Ctrl/Alt+ what ever number you want to assign then you see the Engine Cowl and can adjust the height to and Zoom Amount . looks good if you have a cockpit .

1 Like

Alright, but what if I need to bring the G1000 PFD and MFD on my external displays. Will this work?

1 Like

Check this out its maybe the egg of columbus. To get rid of the virtual cockpit

1 Like

I hate modifying official files, perhaps some genius will be able to turn this into a mod?

I do not like it either, but you can copy rhe aircraft to community folder and from there you can modify the model.cfg
I think there is nothing wrong then because the original files would be Untouched.

1 Like

I am desperate. Still hoping to find some way to get a virtual cockpit. Yet your video is private. Can you please make it public? I really need this basic functionality (with pop outs on my other monitors)

in this case, no aircraft shadow cast on ground.

That can be right, but i havent look for this shadow but it is kind of logical because there is nothing to cast shadow from.
If im in my cockpit, i have not a real a desire to follow my shadow, les worrying is the fact that i did not lost the controls over my instruments although i cant see them,
So through simconnect and old software like, freefd, gaugebook or newer skyelite and fsuipc7 plus wideserver/client on a second pc low specs, i can still get my cockpit to read the instruments from the simulator. This for me is more important, and i fully agree with you that i would be nice if they would bring the shadow in the sim, but i do not know how the shadow is programmed in the sim and how it related to the aircraft.

Maybe Lucky Luke knows the answer to that :rofl:

So basicly

1. adjust you cockpit view to be as close to windows you can be
  2. save that view CTRL + 1 (numpad) for example (check first, you have assigned save custom view and load custom view buttons.
  3. close sim, go and find that file you just created (C:\Users\xxxAppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes -) CAMERAS.CFG
  4. edit values by this instruction:

Original value
InitialXyz= 0.029418, 0.099884, 0.379973

change it to this:

InitialXyz= 0.029418, 0.099884, 1.379973

So first line, last number should be changes by this rule:
-1 = 0
0 = 1
1 =2
So basicly Add +1

1. open sim with you aircraft. Press ALT+1 (numpad, load view 1) and now it wont be perfect yet, but view is outside now. You just adjust the view with keyboard arrows and numpad´s 2,4,6,8 buttons.

And for last step:
6) save you new nose view with CTRL+1 (numpad)

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. Now I have a GSN530. I need to Alt+Click on the gps in the cockpit to pop it out and drag it to the gns530.
For this I think that i need a view with cockpit, pop the instrument out, and then switch to your view? Would this be correct?