FS fails to update - looping

Brief description of the issue:
FS stucks at update download around 9GB.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
I can provide a screenshot, but I don’t think it’s anyway helpful.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Start FS and it will update . Everything is fine until around 9.17 - 9.35GB, then it will reset back to around 9GB and will download the same data again. Running now since almost 12 hours.

Before I had the issue, that the network stoped working with FS update and FS gameplay.
Always and only with FS. I even installed a new network card yesterday.

This issue has already been resolved: “Download stuck on packages / Install loop” on zendesk(dot)com

Solution A fixed it for me:

Disable Window Auto-tuning

• In the Windows search bar, type Command and look for ‘Command Prompt
  • In the menu select “Run as administrator
  • Enter: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
  • Press enter
  • Reboot your computer
3 Likes

Hi @Scopolamin,
Welcome to the forums!

See if this FAQ may help you:
Download stuck on packages / Install loop – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

The way i fixed this before was to reset and clear the cache in the Microsoft Store… Once I did that and restarted my PC it worked flawlessly for me. I dont think this is the Sims fault as much as it is the stores fault. Good Luck!!

2 Likes

My problem is that when decompressing a large file, frequently it will stick. Last night is was decompressing and 8 hours later it was still doing so. I’ve been using Task Manager and when disk activity stops for awhile (5 minutes or so) , I stop the update, close MSFS, and erase the file it was stuck on. This works a lot of times, but some times the program will start load all files all over again. I have been trying the update to 1.12.13.0 for over 36 hours and it is starting to load the files AGAIN!. On the last update, it took over a week to complete the update.

Why can Microsoft not fix this problem?

Brief description of the issue: Installer stuck and downloads same file for the last 24h. Also, I can see sometimes at random a pause symbol and it then starts the download over again.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Just install it.

Hi all,

My installer is not working, reinstalled the MSFS, cleared the cache manually, ran as admin, no firewall or antivirus blocking it. Disabled the autotune stuff.
Simply not working.

Any tips?

I am facing the exact same issue. I have spent 4 days trying to install this thing.
I also spent 5 hours today on the phone with Microsoft’s awful customer support.

1 Like

Try Netlimiter4. It is the only way I can update MSFS.

This helped, thank you! Sad that Microsofts Flight Simulator 2020 is the only applications that suffers from this Microsoft feature.

1 Like

This is absolutely unacceptable. We should not have to turn off features of windows or download third party items to make a simulator work. They broke, they should fix it. I’m stuck in the same boat.

2 Likes

I actually found the cure to this…
After my internet speed gets passed 40Mbps it loops the file
How I fixed this was I got a Net Limiter program… I limited my speed to 38Mbps and it worked flawlessly.
I no longer have issues with the game.

I used NetLimiter4
You can try it for 30 days free. its a really cheap and powerful program.
I use it to do all kinds of things now.

Also if you do use it… make sure you know there are two EXE files for FS2020 once it boots in.
Set the limits for both or you will have issues with the updates in game. they will loop if you dont set it up.

Well Netlimiter4 seems to be working for me. I only get 16Mbit/s speed on a Gig speed internet. Kinda frustrating but guess I have to bear with it if I want to play MSFS. I was unable to get past the update screen so had to find some fix.

1 Like

Your solution saved my day. Had trouble with install looping first time ever since game launch in august. Tried several times then found your solution. Thank you for posting!

2 Likes

Wow, I thought that too much bandwidth could not possibly be the problem - but it worked! I set it at 35 Mbit/s and the install went without a hitch after watching it reset dozens and dozens of times. Ridiculous but thank you so much for the solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.