FS installation borked, can't re-install due to 0x80070424 error (now fixed!)

In the Content Manager I see lots of items that say they have a newer version but require a newer version of the game first. For example the new A320 Takeoff and Landing tutorials.

I start the game and it says it’s checking for updates, but it then just goes on as if no update is found.

I did a clean install on another computer here today and that allows installing the A320 tutorials, so it is the latest version. How can I make my main computer bring itself up too date? I really don’t want to re-install it from scratch.

Fixes for the 0x80070424 Windows Store installation failure status:

In addition to the steps for re-installing Gaming Services in the marked solution, first check Downloads and Updates in the Store and make sure that there are no in-progress or stuck updates for Gaming Services or anything else. If there are, try rebooting (may take a couple times) to see if it will finish installing the latest Gaming Services and see if that fixes it before forcibly re-installing them.

if you bought the sim from Steam, steam needs to update the installer first.
if you bought from MS store, MS Store needs to update the installer first.
Both should do this automatically I believe, but maybe you have automatic updates turned off?

This happens every time they are about to release a new update, usually a few days before. The current sim detects there are new versions available, but because they haven’t updated the sim itself, you cannot download them.

Hopefully the UK update will still be out next week.

This is an install via XBOX Game Pass for PC. The new version shows up in a clean install and other people report having it, yet I can find no way to get my main sim system here to find and apply the update.

In the Windows10 menu, look for the sim in Settings - Apps & Features
In Advanced Options there, there are buttons for “Reset” and “Repair”
Those may help.

Repair just seems to permanently set the start menu FS icon to dim with a progress bar underneath it, but since this is an XBOX app with its own custom installer I’m not sure anything will ever come around to do anything about it. Started and stopped FS with no apparent effect.

Reset deleted the entire Appdata\Package\Microsoft.Flight… hierarchy from the system, completely removing FS but leaving it in a state that the XBOX installer cannot seen to recover from. It thinks it’s not installed but fails when you try to install it, throwing Code: 0x803fb107 immediately. Nothing I have found so far will get it out of this state, so I guess I’m just completely screwed now.

Did you try logging out of x-box and MSstore, than logging back in to both?

Tried that, same result. Trying to install from the XBOX app or from the Store results in errors immediately. Same Code: 0x803fb107.

Tried restarting the BITS Service, after which trying the install thinks for a few more seconds the first time then fails with the same error again.

This is going to sound like an auto reply, but did you look under “support” at the top of the page.
There are some “standard” things to try in there that may help.
Also put that error code in the “search” function.
There is a lot that comes up on it.

Went through every web page I can find, tried everything on the ZenDesk troubleshooting ticket, but nothing works. Doesn’t even work on a new Windows user. The only thing I have not tried yet is a clean Windows re-install, but I’m not willing to do that yet just to make FS work.

Giving up for now.

Hi @MarvelousCat,
When this next update comes out, check that it’s going into the correct install folder. If you could screen capture that path and take note of the path that is listed at the bottom of the “UserConfig.opt” file.

There are some troubleshooting steps on this page:

Something else to try. Find some small, free application to download. See if the MS Store works at all for you.

Thanks, though after trying everything earlier, it’s now always immediately giving me Code: 0x80070424 when I try to start an Install. I did everything on:

Download & Installation issues: Windows Store troubleshooting – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

I did wsreset.exe numerous times and rebooted countless times, tried creating a new Windows User which still got the Code: 0x80070424. I eventually went through the Windows Registry and removed every group of keys holding a reference to flightsimulator.exe, again without effect.

I’ve spent the entire day on this, and have run out of energy :slight_smile:

Where does that new error message appear? In the MS store?

The search I ran seems to indicate this is a Windows Update error code, and not the Store.

Shows up as the “details” (ha!) of the install failure status either in The Store or in the XBOX app.

Might be worth running through some of these, but don’t download and install that tool they are advertising, just run the windows update troubleshooter, and so on.

No luck with those either.

It seems to be XBOX Game Pass related as there’s one XBOX PC game I own and I can get that to start installing, but any Game Pass game (not just FS) gives errors (usually the 0x80070424 but occasionally the 0x803fb107.

Looking at Game Pass games in the Store tells me I need to install the XBOX app (which is installed and attempts to install it without first uninstalling it cause it to sit forever at the “Making Things Awesome” progress bar that never moves (Narrator voice: “But things were not awesome…”)) Uninstalling XBOX and re-installing it does not change anything.

Starting an install of an XBOX Game Pass game via the XBOX app immediately reports one of the two errors, and then going to download status in the Store shows the download in queue with the same status.

The 0x803fb107 seems to be reported for the game pass “bundle” of FS and its digital ownership certificate, and each of those two bundle components shows the 0x80070424 error.

The same information shows in both the Store “Downloads and updates” page and in the XBOX “Manage Installs” page.

Ok, so 0x80070424 is ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST, so the XBOX/Store app(s) are trying to ask a Service to do something and the system is telling them there’s no such service installed (or perhaps accessible security wise?). Likely suspects would be BITS or Windows Update, or if it’s something else then I’m not sure how to figure out what it would be. Both BITS and Windows update are running and AFAIK they ought to be working.

This is Windows 10 20H2 so newer than many people will be running. I can’t revert to the previous version without a re-install as it ahs been more than 2 weeks since I upgraded and the old stuff has been purged. I don’t remember when I did that upgrade relative to the last time I know that FS successfully updated.

I’m currently comparing the Services registry settings to another machine here.

I’ve been running 20H2 since release, and I have not seen this issue.

1 Like