FS Realistic in 2023

Just curious as to how people are using FS realistic these days.

The sim is obviously at a point now where many payware aircraft are of extremely high fidelity. From custom sounds to excellent flight models, more intricate flight dynamics, etc…

I’m having a hard time justifying the use of FS realistic and overriding many of these things that the developers of these payware aircraft have custom modeled very accurately to the real thing.

This is in no way mean to dump on FS Realistic. I think it’s a great product and up until recently had been using it for all of my flying. But a few days ago I had an epiphany: “Why am I using this when what I’m using it for is already modeled (probably more accurately) in basically all of the aircraft I fly at this point?”

People who are using it regularly with payware aircraft…what are you using it for specifically? I’m just not sure if maybe it’s ran its course at this point?

5 Likes

I uninstalled it a few weeks back. It had been gradually turning things off one by one, and the final straw was when I turned off all the landing sounds, but left the camera shimmy only. I think I only had two or three features turned on at that point, and zero for the Comanche. That was when it was uninstalled.

It had served me well enough up until that point, though.

7 Likes

Yea it’s a very good question and point. I still have it running but also totally disabled for Comanche.

I unticked auto start a while back to help me diagnose some PC stability issues and didn’t really miss it.

Turned it back on now and do still notice the difference with it on so it’s still kind of cool to have, but of course it’s very aircraft dependent what you get out of it nowadays. The wind noises are pretty good on many top tier aircraft now (and phenomenal in the Comanche lol) so it can be a bit much with FSR adding in as well.

I like the additions for some of the stress noises and carefully pick which ones sound most appropriate for the plane, so it definitely still adds a bit of richness and for sure the landing shake is still awesome. Probably worth running just for that.

As Hob said it served us very well. Can’t complain about value. It was my top app for quite some time so defo got moneys worth but I’m gonna take a closer look if I really need it. For some planes I think I do though. I almost forgot it was something I load as it’s just always been there it’s like part of the game now bless it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use it only for the landing effects and the airframe squeaks and rattles. I always fly with it on, so I forget what it’s like without it.

3 Likes

All your observations give pause for thought regarding the usefulness of of FS realistic.
There is one particular element of this excellent addition to our Sim experience that would be sorely missed and that is my Beloved Co Pilot’s terrified screaming when fatal mistakes are made.

3 Likes

Flying inverted for a bit was always good fun. Or spins. They really don’t like that.

1 Like

More to do with failing to hide her stash of 70% Dark Chocolate and my happy cry of “Chocs Away” when i discover the latest hiding place .

I have been using XP Realistic and then FS Realistic naturally. The tools mostly caters to tubeliner enthusiasts. However, the ambience noise can be annoying and campy at times, especially that airport ambience - very Hollywood-like. So I turned that off.

For me, they add:

• Extra wind noise to the lacklustre MSFS payware aircraft sounds
  • Ground roll effects, from the buffeting, the extra noise - that improves immersion by quite a good margin
  • Camera shake effects when necessary like landing and speed brake deployment (however, the engine spool up shake is a bit too much though)
  • Random passenger activity noises (galley cart moving squeaks, lavatory toilet flushing, etc)

However, recently they are conflicting with quite a lot of other injectors like AI Traffic, Fenix application, and many others like SimLink, and many others. So, I often turned it off most of the times.

1 Like

To each is own. I could never not use it! Brings so much life to the cockpit. Feels dead without it.

1 Like

FSRealistic is Always ON here. Feels naked without.

2 Likes

Update v2.2.0 out

3 Likes

depends on the aircraft. Almost all benefit from it in some way. The Comanche is the only one I own which doesn’t ‘need’ it

2 Likes

No way i could fly without FS Realistic, for the landing gear/undercarriage feel/sounds alone during take offf and landing.