FS2020 VR is Rubbish compared to other VR Apps

I am skipping the 30xx series all togehter.

Nvidia are not marketing their products to gamers. The real reason you cant get one of those cards is because of bitcoin. All of a sudden a gfx card was basically starting at 1500 bucks for higher end performance. Well the miners can afford it. You are no longer relevant. Many bitcoin miners have already the latest 30xx cards…and hoping to get more.

It started last year and will continue forward. I will not get a 30xx card, might as well wait for 40xx

I have very high settings for the PC version, and it runs very smoothly. I have very high settings for the VR version, and I have significant stuttering during take-off and landing, especially at larger airports. I only notice the stuttering on the sides. The frontal view is generally fine, so I still find the plane easy to control. The way I figure it, I spend a lot more time in the air than on the ground, so I’d rather max out settings to enjoy the view from above. I just started using VR a week ago, and I am still amazed. With the PC version, I feel like I’m observing the flight, but in the VR version, even with some flaws, I feel like I’m flying the plane. I will find it difficult to go back to the PC version anytime soon.

Please stay all on topic (me included) :rofl:, we were talking about how rubbish MSFS is in VR comparing other sim, and that’s true (even if we saw the light and have hope for the future)! :wink:

Edit : and today, if I’m right we have an update, no?

2 Likes

Well, I have a 9900k oc 5ghz and a 2080ti with 32 gb ram 3600cl16 and the performance is really bad. I have other games and I can achive 90fps, 75fps or 60fps and that is smoothness but 30fps or less… come on! This has to be improve yes or yes.

1 Like

Your mistake was the G2. It’s hot garbage. Mine is being returned right now. Have a Rift S and now a Quest 2. Both are running beautifully in VR. There is a significant improvement with the Quest 2.

What you can’t expect, is for it to be plug and play. There’s a great article around here for the Q2 (Post #12 is the link to click so if you see that you’re in the right article). Follow the settings in that post exactly and the Q2 will run like butter.

I appreciate your reply and I think I agree with you 100%.
my first problem is I do expect plug-n-play. I waited a few months until I thought the VR bugs would be worked out, and noticed that the G2 was going to be optimized for MSFS, so I assumed it was going to be the best. so far I have been very unhappy with the G2 purchase, especially after joining the forums and reading everyone having nearly the same issues. I also hate that now I feel like I’m an expert with tweaking random settings and trying different drivers, pc settings, game settings, etc…

I think I’ll return this G2 and give it a few more months, and sit back and wait until you lovely testers figure out the perfect recipe :slight_smile:

Even with the VR not being perfect, the immersion was amazing. My plan is still to build a full motion 6dof sim with VR, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens this year. The Microsoft / asobo studio team is brilliant, and this sim even in the early stages still blows my mind with the possibilities.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely get the frustration. VR is such a resource hog that “plug and play” perfection is a long ways off. You really have to tweak your setup to squeeze the proper performance out of it. I’m a computer guy for a living so I basically left it alone for a week (letting ‘the enthusiasts’ figure out the right settings), then took one of their known good configs and adjusted it slightly to maximize performance on my machine.

The G2 however, is inexcusable. HP is trying to charge me a restocking fee. That will be charged back to my credit card. I’m considering lodging a complaint with the FTC and possibly the SEC since they coded the return in a way that looks to be ‘misleading shareholders’. The headset just doesn’t work properly. I spent 5 hours trying to get it working right in FS2020. Rift S was dialed in in an hour, Quest 2 in 30 minutes. The tracking is abysmal (and probably unfixable due to poor camera placement on the headset). The controllers are too heavy and require special batteries. The cable is too long causing USB flakiness. The Windows VR software env. is garbage too. I can’t believe they had the audacity to release this thing as is and it’s really a shame because it’s very comfortable and the glass is quite great.

VR IS amazing though. I’ll take dialed down settings in VR over 2k on my monitor 10 times out of 10. A full motion sim with VR would be mind-blowing!

1 Like

I gave my Rift CV1 to my brother who has a modest PC with a GTX 1070 and we got smooth frames in the 747 in some pretty busy locations, not butter smooth but certainly very playable and enjoyable. MSFS isn’t that bad at all in VR and you really don’t need a highend PC to drive MSFS on a Rift CV1 so I suspect you just need to play around with your configuration a little.

I don’t know about the Quest 2 but the Reverb G2 is night and day compared to the Rift CV1, it’s so completely magical to fly around but for that headset you absolutely need a modern (sorry I mean monster) PC, I have a 2080 Ti and I would say a 2070 Super or 1080 Ti would be a minimum.

As for Aerofly, I’ve not tried it, but part of the amazing experience in MSFS is that I can fly from Cape Town to London and it’s magestic all the way, you just don’t have that experience or sense of adventure in DCS or Aerofly FS or even X-Plane and FSX - that is only possible in this sim and it makes for a truely special VR experience.

2 Likes

Ohh the audacity to charge a restocking fee on a product youve used already XD I love my G2 and have no problems other than MSFS not being fully optimized and GPU CPU hardware not good enough yet. Of course they shouldnt just take back the USED VR headset for free, its your mistake.

How exactly do you think I would have discovered that their tracking system is defective without using the headset? How would I have known that the cable was made too long for USB to operate properly? The sales page didn’t mention it but their “tips and tricks” page makes the issue pretty obvious. A little research into the USB standard and recommended cable lengths and sure enough, they did something stupid.

This may surprise you, but people use VR headsets for things besides flightsim.

None of this is relevant however, I ended up keeping it only for FS2020. Finally found a procedure to make it work somewhat properly. I bought a Quest 2 as well, to make up for the G2’s deficiencies. FS actually looks better in the Quest 2 when they’re both properly configured and at relatively optimal settings. But the G2 is more comfortable and that ended up making my decision.

At any rate, sorry you’re impressed with low grade gear. Not surprised though. You come across as a low grade person.

RTX 3070 / Ryzen 5600X here with a Valve Index. I admit my first impression with MSFS VR was a bit of disappointment. Not with the performance but with the visuals. YET I am still enjoying it.

I am ok how it runs with the settings I am using (TAA, 100% rendering, 100% texture/object LOD, 16X anisotropic, 8x8 supersampling, 150% SteamVR resolution), but still looks more blurry than what I expected.

But then I took a minute to think how I started PC gaming in the 90s when we only had 800 x 600 monitors. Games were too blurry compared to today’s standards and I wondered how did enjoy them back then? I don’t recall we complained about the blurriness because that was the best we could get back then, so I convinced myself that VR is a new era of gaming and this is the best we can get today. I even consider myself lucky to be living in an era where I can experience flying in VR like this, so let me enjoy what I have while it keeps getting better in the following years.

So yes even with blurriness I am really enjoying it. I stopped focusing on finding better tweaks after the first week. The experience is so enjoyable and immersive that during turns I unintentionally start leaning sideways as if I am trying to balance myself!

I think the larger FOV really helps feeling I am there. FOV matters to me more than resolution, that’s why I went with the Valve Index.

1 Like

Personally for me the tracking in the G2 is flawless. My old CV1 had the odd hitch where it would jump around occasionally in MSFS and other sims as well. The G2 never waviers and is super precise.

The issues about cable length I simply don’t see… :thinking: are you sure these are not actually USB power issues rather than the cable? Look this guy has a 21 meter cable. :slight_smile: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/k94t9n/i_have_successfully_extended_the_hp_reverb_g2s/

Could your device be defective? I mean if there was a head tracking issue in the G2 it would be lighting up the forums but that’s definately not the case.

A 3090 makes a huge difference to VR with the Valve Index and the Reverb G2 has more pixels to push so I can imagine it would benefit from the extra grunt too.

My Index was “ok” in IL-2 with a 1080ti but was utterly unusable in FS2020, with an upgrade to 3090 IL-2 VR is faultless. It literally flies. FS2020 still not perfect but the stutters and other frame rate issues are more CPU related than GPU and it is much less hurl inducing.

I was sort of waiting out to see what the 3080ti’s would look like but the extra VRAM on the 3090 and the fact that it was available already pushed that purchase. It’s a good card, but ■■■■ does the backplate get hot! I’m waiting for a waterblock for the backplate to be delivered next week to take the edge off some of that VRAM heat.

@GoodSmith I find SS124 better than SS150 because it is marginally less perceived pixels than 150, but I find it has aliasing properties enhancing the legibility of small EFIS text (let alone rendering less pixels and better on fps than 150 especially with motion smoothing).

@somethingbrite I don’t know how much you can push the 3090, but the Index at TAA100 + SS200 should give you really great visuals (even at TAA70 + SS200)

Weird my 1080ti handles IL2 flawlessly.
Butter smooth on max settings.

I find SS124 better than SS150

I tried SS124 but couldn’t distinguish a difference from SS150. However I tried your other suggestion on a different post of SS over 200% and TAA60-70 and it seems to look better, so I am going to focus on that.

I agree, there isn’t much difference between SS124 and SS150 visually but the former is rendering less pixels, freeing resources for something else. Otherwise I find TAA60+SS220 (not 200) giving very good results but only for analogue. Anything EFIS requires TAA 100 for legibility hence the TAA100+SS124 combo!

I think that both of you are right. The 980 Ti was top notch 5 years ago, now it is since a viable graphics card for most games but for something more demanding as not just MSFS, but MSFS VR is definitely outdated.
On the other hand, i’m running a decent hardware (R6 3600, 32GB of ram, GTX 1080 Ti) and i often have hard time running the game at 30fps + space warp for frame interpolation (quest 2).
I’m recently playing DCS World, and while it has not the scenery complexity of MSFS, it runs 3-4 times faster, making VR a really nice and viable experience.
Let’s hope for the best for when DX12 hits.

MSFS Devs need also to rethink the way instrument panels are managed and displayed, it will save lot of CPU and GPU time. In MSFS, changing plane make an huge differences regarding the cockpit, Some are playable in VR ar 45fps locked with CPU and GPU headroom, where others go down to less than 15/10fps saturating our machines.
In comparison, I can fly a big airliner with a bunch of refreshed panels screens, or a simple glider, and I have the exact same 90fps without ASW kicking in Aerofly FS2 in VR at ultra settings and supersampling 175%… Night and Day…

1 Like