FSX Import Showcase

@CutthroatPath73 Thank you very much for your time and detailed response.

Meanwhile, I went through the entire process of converting / planeconverter / packaging etc of my original FS9 aircraft again - several times -, fired up MSFS, and suddenly, my model appeared in the ‘Aircraft Selection’ menu, displayed by an image that was / is in the folder of my aircraft for presentation at AVSIM etc. I created a flight, clicked FLY and my model indeed appeared on the runway, but without textures and with viewing from the cockpit set backwards.

I closed MSFS, took a look into the Community folder and discovered a new created folder of my aircraft, but suffixed “CVT”. It contained no files but a converted file suffixed *.NNZ in the model folder and an empty texture folder, to which I copied my *.bmp textures just for trying it out, and fired MSFS up again, without success, the model appeared on the runway but without textures again. Later I deleted that folder and MSFS just created it back again. Would be nice to clarify the purpose of that folder and the *.NNZ file.

I also did try a setup as you suggested without panel and sound folder and its dependencies in the config files, I tried it at least 3 times without those folders, but every time my aircraft did not even appear in the ‘Aircraft Selection’ menu. Of course, I always created a new package with the planeconverter to get correct *.json files. Thus I assume, it will only work for me with panel and sound folder.

Converting my *.bmp textures to genuine *.dds files using Texture Manager and converting the model file once again from FS9 to FSX let the PlaneConverter create *.json files guiding each single *.dds texture file in the texture folder, and the aircraft finally appeared with textures on the runway. A “CVT” suffixed folder was also created again, this time with *.NNZ files in the texture folder. It, seems that CVT is a mandatory folder that MSFS will create to make a model work.

Wheels turn, engine fans do not, and the cockpit windows don’t appear in MSFS, but in ModelConverterX.

I also tried to setup a genuine FSX freeware aircraft, I just downloaded from AVSIM for test purposes, it did not even appear in the ‘Aircraft Selection’ menu. I kept *.bmp textures, and then even converted them to *.dds, no success. I’m an FDE designer and should know, how to setup an aircraft with the usual file structure, the naming and titles in the config files and so on, but, maybe there is something that MSFS does not like, or it is not even an FSX aircraft …

I’m also following the discord channel …

I created a manual about the procedure I exercised so far. Available as PDF
MSFS 2020 Aircraft Model Conversion From FS9 & FSX

1 Like

As expected the old Gmax glass, textures and decals do not play nice but the model itself is looking nice. Think I’ll go with the new build though.

1 Like

A couple quick thoughts.

One possibility for textures not appearing is if the file path gets too long for the game to access. I had several otherwise perfect files not load due to this so just be cautious of it.

You do need a panel and sound folder for the game to load the aircraft. If you do not have them it will not appear in the menu. Further these cannot be aliased to a nonexistent folder (a working alias within the same package is ok) or it will not appear in the aircraft list.

You do not need to create an entire new package each time. PlaneConverter has a fantastic feature which will rescan an existing package and update the layout.json accordingly! This is on the first tab of the window.

Don’t worry about the CVT folder. It is autocreated as you discovered. I have deleted them several times and it always comes back. I have not found any use in modifying it.

DDS or 32 Bit BMPs will both work in the game. If you change file extensions, the layout.json will break and must be updated.

If you want a good control model that is known to convert fairly easily, use the Warwick Carter T-6G Texan for FSX. https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/9616/fsx-t-6g-texan/

@AgateEvening937 Thank you for your input. Long file names, that could not have been a problem, since I kept mine short, and the other model I tried to convert without success, there also were no long file names. For the panel, the gauges and the sound, I used default FS9 stuff, to which the *.cfg files of my in MSFS appearing aircraft still direct.

There are always 2 layout.json’s, one in the main folder of the aircraft, and another one together with aircraft config file and the folders model panel sound texture? I will still have to figure out, how all this works. Can I edit *.json’s with a simple text editor?

There is one layout.json, which is in the top level of your package. The structure is: Community/YOUR_PACKAGE/layout.json

Yes, you can edit it with a text editor like Notepad++. The layout.json is essentially a table of contents of the rest of the files and folders in the package. Anything not contained in the layout.json will be ignored by the game. If required files are not included in the layout.json, the game won’t find them and will either skip the package or display a broken package (no textures, for instance).

There is also a manifest.json at the same spot which gives dependencies and required versions and other metadata. One unusual reason for a package not showing up is if the manifest.json lists a required version of the game or a dependency that isn’t out yet.

@AgateEvening937 This sounds good, thx. I’m in Hamburg Germany and will now have to go to bed :wink:

1 Like

We think that the NNZ texture folders are conversions to DXT10 format with an additional header. Would be nice if the SDK covered this, but alas it doesnt.

its dont work

1 Like

I need help, whenever i try to fly the f/a-18 it always gets stuck it doesn’t move at all active pause isn’t on either

Afterburner in the engine file will make this happen. Got to make the value zero

I was told it couldn’t be done so I did it anyway. I got it to climb to the realistic altitude. Now I have to work on the speed once it gets there. There has to be something other than thrust I can adjust.

2 Likes

Tried it under the controls section and under the sim variables section of the .flt files. Nothing works, this must be tied to a protected file somewhere, because the elevator trim clearly changes between cold and hot starts, but none of the .flt files call out the change.

On the plus side, I now have the fuel valve defaulting to on for the 152, so no more failed ramp starts because I forgot to look down there.

Glad to see an A321 in the works, is there a change fo the 737-800?

Go to where? I’m sorry it seems like it got cut off for me

I don’t work on the aircraft i just import them from fsx and yes I’ve tried the 737 flight model is not really realistic and cockpit is see through because it’s from 2006

I got her to fly but i can’t get rid of this annoying sound it’s almost like flaps going up and gear going up at the same time on repeat

5 Likes

Hello, Would anyone here be able to convert the Hawk T-1 from FSX into FS 2020, would love to fly around with it in the new sim, Thank you

Sound loops are a known issue with conversions.

1 Like