FSX Import Showcase

Yeah we really do have to open a forum thread or something to share the completed/working ports on.

The FA-18 is the Microsoft one from FSX and as such I can’t share it for obvious legal reasons, but everything you need to get working, ported jets in MSFS is here on this thread.

2 Likes

Hello all. First time posting. I’ve been noting everyone’s input on converting and I am trying my hand at converting the infamous FSX SR-71 Blackbird. My first attempt at conversation didn’t get the physical model in game but the plane was selectable. Currently trying again with a better model.

Hello all,

I have kept an eye on this closely and have, like many others, attempted to convert an FSX plane into 2020, I can get the project built, but it never shows up for selection in the Menu. I’ve copied the SimpleAircraft SDK project a few times, but never seem to get it working. I’m on the Steam version of 2020, so I’m not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I’m running into a stupid issue. Every plane I convert shows up in game as selectable but the model itself is invisible. What am I doing wrong?

You’re probably trying to convert a P3D model not an FSX one.

Pretty sure Steam works differently, but could be wrong. Check the aircraft.cfg file and make sure that aircraft is selectable by user is set to “1”

Is that a freeware model or payware?

When this happened to me, it was because the aircraft had an FS9 format mdl instead of FSX. I could load it up and even fly it but the aircraft was invisible. It may also be P3D format like Dean said.

Start with one of the default FSX aircraft as a known control, then branch out once you know your process works. Using the converter program, it is really easy to actually get them into MSFS. The hard part is cleaning up all of the details after that.

Well, I think a big thank you to KLASBJ for its program but also to all of you who participate: the longest was to install VS on my laptop because the compilation of the project and the tests were very fast and fruitful.
The P51 Racer was a very good candidate to check that everything works well now I’m trying to pass my planes(NC858S, Menestrel HN-433, Mosquito, C150L TiBush, etc) that meet the pre-requisites (3D gauges, no DLL, simple panel).
Thanks again. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Would you mind sending me the Mustang and the jet? I would quite like to see how you are doing jets and taildraggers, as I am having some issues?

I couldn’t even fly the sr-71. Once I convert the aircraft is the anything else I need to do once it is the community folder? Like I said the plane is in my hanger, there is just no model. I can’t fly it or do anything with it.

I’m not sure without looking at all of the files. Almost all of the aircraft I tried worked after 1) using the converter program to change their file structure then 2) putting that package into the community folder. The only ones that didn’t work had FS2004 format models like I said, and those were invisible.

Your issue may be a confluence of two known issues - maybe the SR71 has an improperly formatted model AND it can’t fly because it’s a jet and jets do not work as a straight conversion.

Like I said, I highly suggest you start with a default piston-powered aircraft to make sure you’ve got the process down.

1 Like

I’ve got a few FSX models showing up, but if you could send me the link for the jet that would be great.

I’m trying to port an older FSX model that uses not only .bmp textures but also several solid colors without any textures associated with them for the body and the windows as its materials, and while I was able to make textures appear correctly by converting them to .dds, I can’t do the same with solid colors. Any idea how to make them work?

Please make the folder already converted available, I tried to convert it but without success yet.

In my experience, textures can be converted to either 32 bit .bmp or .dds and work ok. Materials with color properties seem to show up as glossy white. The only fix I’ve found is to create a texture file with the desired color, then edit the mdl to assign the texture in place of the color.

Anyone know why converted models would be glowing at night? They look fine during the day.

Woah, cool. I couldn’t find the download link, but my account I think expired so it must be behind a login wall? I really need realistic jet AI, so I guess I’ll reactivate.

Hi,

The result of some tests for this afternoon: http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1022286#p1022286

I am very happy of theses results.

4 Likes