FYI - cheap RTX 3090 / 3080 backplate/VRAM cooling solution

Hi,

I found this cooler searching for an solution to bring the memory junction temps of my GPU down.

Without any additional cooling I reached well the 110 degrees celsius limit where the card starts throttling.

After installing an simple fan pointing to the backplate I get low to 98-102 deg celsius and had already bought M.2 coolers to improve that when I discovered this beauty.

Name is “Scythe Ita Kaze”. It was made in the 2000’s for harddisk cooling.

As you see the heatsink is made of aluminium and has an very very quit 100mm fan installed. The fan runs @1000rpm and is truly almost noiseless. The whole assembly is just 13mm thin and 105gr. lightweight.

I just put some 0,5mm thermal pads on the back and thats all.

Now I have 86-88deg celsius memory junction temp @26 deg ambient running msfs with some very rare spikes to 94 deg. GPU core temperature also drops by 4 or 5 degrees, not the world but better than nothing.

5 Likes

Nice, would be nicer if I could find an EU supplier that actually has some in stock!

Try searching for “hard drive cooler with fan” there a few options out there in the under 10 Euro range … granted some are so old school they have molex connectors, ew. :wink:

1 Like

I found it this way, searching for „hdd cooler“.

Other than the rest this one have a flat back, one large silent fan ( instead of usually one or two smaller fans) and an standard 3-pin connector for easiest installation.

Thats why I like to share my experience.

2 Likes

Good suggestion. Is your card a 3090 or a 3080?

This is an 3090.