G1000 Update with Sim Update 3

Indeed. The GNS mod is incredible and very accurate to real life. You can literally pull out the real unit’s user manual and use that to learn how it works. It’s an incredible feat as far as I’m concerned. And the BEST part of it is that it fixes all the broken stuff in Asobo’s navigation system.

The WT G3000 mod is awesome as well. I honestly can’t even bring myself to the fly the TBM (one of my favourite planes) without it now. They’ve added some incredible functionality over the base G3000. The only thing I sorely miss about it in its current form is no longer being able to see other traffic on the MFD. And unfortunately it still runs on Asobo’s nav system, so all the bugs associated with that are carried over. No fault of the WT team here, of course.

It’s more of a re-work from the ground up of the older 0.3.x mod. It got a full graphic overhaul, as well as the addition of a lot of the MFD chapters and pages of the real G1000. It’s good, but at this time still lacking some basic functionality that’s in the older 0.3.x versions.

Oddly, where 0.3.3 was more stable, I now find 0.4 to be more stable, so I’ve been using it for the last couple of weeks. As long as you’re willing to work around the missing basic functionality, 0.4 is quite good. You can always try it out and see how it works for you. Worst case scenario, you revert back to 0.3.4.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion on the Beta. Just did my first flight with it using the Bonanza and all went well. I actually tried a few things I knew would typically make the 3.4 version ■■■■ out on me, and nothing! So far so good with this 4.0 version. A couple minor things I noticed that weren’t exactly working as intended, but nothing major. Certainly seems more stable for me. Can’t wait to do some more Bonanza flights now!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not bad if you can work around it. There are some missing features though.

• Direct To doesn’t work
  • Nearest list isn’t populated
  • No NexRad
  • Using any of the soft keys on the right side of the PFD (FPLN, -D>, Proc) can and often does cause the PFD to stop working completely
  • No declutter of the MFD
  • Manipulating the flight plan can cause it to freeze up (I think that’s a combination of a G1000 and Asobo bug)

There are a couple of others as well that I can’t remember offhand. The point is, once you know what doesn’t work or what causes issues, those functions can be avoided. That said, I don’t think it’s ready for a prime time release as of yet due to those shortcomings. But atm, it does appear to be more stable than 0.3.4 since the last sim patch. I can’t even get through a flight with 0.3.4 now without it failing completely.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.