G36 Improvement Project

I used your forum post a while back and added this in a downloadable PDF format. I’ve also added (working on adding a light documentation either in PDF or HTML) it to my next pull-request back to @FrettFS but need to check he is happy to inlcude it.

Exactly. In real life, full flaps are not always used… on a long runway approach flaps are fine. Full flaps if selected are on a mile final (over the fence).

1 Like

Have spent quite a few hours getting use to the Bonanza before the Mod, and now after installing the mod fixes, this A/C is a fantastic, good job.

Thanks very much! This is a great improvement!

NEW UPDATE RELEASED.

Download from link in the first post. Changes include new warnings/caution, improved lighting effect, drag due to cowl flaps (CHT cooling effect is actually a default feature), and many other tweaks. Note checklists are very WIP

12 Likes

Thank you so much!

For compatibility with the G1000 mod, I noticed when I have both installed (the most recent version of both mods), I get the pitot heat warning in the G36, so it seems it’s not fully compatible? As far as I can tell the rest of your changes are working, including the small airspeed drop with the cowl flaps.

I’ve noticed this too.

What I found as a quick solution is to copy panel.cfg and panel.xml from:

\Community\bonanza-g36-improvement-project\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Bonanza_G36\panel

Into:

\Community\workingtitle-g1000\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Bonanza_G36\panel

And it seems to have worked? But I haven’t tested it thoroughly so something may have broken that I haven’t found yet.

I tried deleting the entire G36 folder from workingtitle-g1000\SimObjects\Airplanes, but that resulted in blank displays.

As an aside:

@FrettFS, thank you so much for your work!

EDIT: Haha, duh. As I was doing something else it came to me: I also had to delete the G36 entry in the layout.json file of the G1000 mod. Then I removed the G36 folder from the G1000 mod and it all seems to work correctly. I’m getting the correct Advisory/Caution annunciators (from the G36 mod) and able to adjust the PFD/MFD brightness from both the knobs and Menu button (from the G1000 mod)

2 Likes

Thankyou for your work, I installed the 0.4 update to the Community folder and removed the previous update, started FS and it crashed to the desktop, so in reinstalled the early update along with 0.4 and its now running ok have l done in right, or am l missing something.

Thank you for your work!! I just downloaded this and tried it out the other day, and it felt great! I’m really coming to enjoy this plane. :+1:t2:

Oops my bad. I will add better instructions. You found the correct steps required to use the two mods, which is to delete G36-related entries in the G1000 mod.

Sorry for this.

PLEASE READ THE UPDATED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN FIRST POST, REINSTALL IF NECESSARY!

4 Likes

@FrettFS I’ll add a section to the manual.

1 Like

I have what might be a dumb question or two.

1. If I don’t preset an altitude before engaging the autopilot, I run into a level off of the AP. In other words, if I’m climbing through 4000 feet with the autopilot on, and then dial up the altitude selector, as the selector passes through 4000 feet, the autopilot sees that, and then levels off at whatever the current altitude is that gets matched by the altitude I’m in the process of selecting…if that makes sense. Is there anyway to stop that behavior, and be able to dial a final altitude without a level off?

2. Vertical speed mode. When I activate it, it resets the current climb rate to zero, and starts leveling off. I have to wildly start bumping in nose up on the AP to reverse it. Is there a way to match the current vertical speed when activating vertical speed mode?

1 Like

Is there a way to confirm that the mod is properly installed?
I THINK i have it installed the right way but somehow i have a feeling it is not working since the G36 has the same weak performance as before.
But additional to that the sound mix is somehow out of tune…I have the headphone sim on and barely hear any engine sound.

@Picka5string, this is a big one that would be a huge help in all airplanes. Below is what I submitted to ZenDesk a while back. Would encourage submitting a report regarding this as well, so all airplanes can hopefully get a fix:

“Selecting a vertical mode such as PIT or VS should sync to the current pitch or vertical speed at the time it is engaged. Example, if climbing at 1200 feet per minute and engage the autopilot with VS, it should not go to 0 feet per minute and level the climb. It should sync to whatever the rate of climb is at the time VS is selected.”

Am anxious to see what autopilot improvements get implemented in next week’s patch that Asobo mentioned.

2 Likes
  1. In real life you must set the altitude pre-select first, then you select your vertical navigation mode (vertical speed/FLC). If you forget, and you have to swing the knob through your present altitude, the autopilot can pick up that “pre-select” as “now-select” and level off. If you are quick, or use the 1000ft outer knob, you can skip over the altitude without the autopilot noticing. The better way before take off to make sure your nav/gps/altitude is all set first.

2. in real life, if you hit the VS mode, the autopilot will continue to follow whatever descent or climb you are currently manually doing. For example, I am in a 500fpm descent and I press vertical speed, it should show VS -500fpm. In the sim if you hit vertical speed it defaults to 0 fpm and levels off. This is a bug. Its been reported in zendesk (but could always use more reports!) and to the G1000 mod team.

*juicebox7535 is spot on with their analysis

Top pro-tip: Use FLC on climb and VS on descent. It allows you to select the best performance for the aircraft on the climb, and a more accurate way to keep a vertical profile on descent (until we have proper VNAV).

Pro-tip #2: In general, cruise climb in most piston singles is close to “Vfe” (maximum flaps extended speed - top of the white arc on a round airspeed indicator, or speed at the top of the white strip on the G1000), so if you don’t know the precise cruise climb speed, top of the white strip on the G1000 is close enough.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, that’s good to know about #1. I guess I’ll just as a matter of procedure, dial in 16K into the altitude preset before departure, then can come down to whatever value I need without having to deal with the level off “feature” of the Garmin. Thanks.

FF

Add the text to the fuel flow like so
Makes the fuel flow gauge actually useful.

<Gauge>
	<Type>Horizontal</Type>
		<Style>
			<ValuePos>End</ValuePos>
		</Style>
	<ID>Piston_FFlowGauge</ID>
	<Title>FFLOW</Title>
	<Unit>GPH</Unit>
	<Minimum>0</Minimum>
	<Maximum>30</Maximum>
	<Value>	
			<Simvar name="ENG FUEL FLOW GPH:1" unit="gallons per hour"/>
	</Value>
	<ColorZone>
		<Color>green</Color>
		<Begin>3</Begin>
		<End>27.4</End>
	</ColorZone>
	<ColorZone>
		<Color>red</Color>
		<Begin>27.4</Begin>
		<End>30</End>
	</ColorZone>
	<GraduationTextLength>30</GraduationTextLength>
  </Gauge>
7 Likes

Please make a pull request for this!

4 Likes

Also on the G1000 there is a button labelled “Time/Ref” (or close) which will give you the V speeds for take off and climbs.

1 Like

I can confirm that visual icing is not only visual. There is a “visual icing” slider in the developer menu. Slide that all the way to the right and the effect on engine and flight dynamics is dramatic.