G36 Improvement Project

For me, and I’ve done it multiple times, you can’t just drop the main folder in community, open that folder and inside you’ll see “bonanza-36-improvement-project”. This is the folder with the good stuff that gets dropped into community. If you didn’t make the same bonehead mistake I’ve made repeatedly, my apologies :slight_smile:

Oooh… Looking forward to the Leaning system :slight_smile:

I did a flight on Saturday and at 12K, I was 166kts TAS, around 132kts at 2500 rpm, full manifold which is really close to POH. Should be around 137kts… I’m attributing it to the crappy leaning …

Snazzy!!! Can’t wait

Got it in there properly, G1000 mod is before the G36 mod… and the mod is working other than the panel stuff. The checklist is there etc. Very strange. Spent a bunch of time trying to get it to work, no dice.

I’ve been flying this mod for some time now, and I don’t think that’s too off. If you have any sort of cargo/weight in the plane, this is about right for this altitude.

The people (hint!) who actually fly the thing can correct me. But I think it seems ok.

1 Like

Ok so, if you have the G1000 audible alerts fix… the G1000 Mod and Bonanza won’t work properly. Removing the audible alerts gives me the right indications.

Edit, spoke to soon. The MFD does not work… strange stuff going on!

Did you rename the folder for the G1000 mod so that it comes before the G36 in alphabetical order? MSFS loads mods alphabetically and G1000 needs to load first.

Yeah… it now shows the bus tie and Oil pressure lo, but the MFD is not displaying properly… it is not working. Must be another mod conflicting… who knows.

We test climb at 2700RPM and 100KIAS, because that’s how Beechcraft generated the chart in the POH. IRL I think most pilots climb at 2600 and 110-120. But you’ll definitely see better climb rates in the sim at 2700 vs 2500.

I tried to make a comment saying that on the github, but I think the CJ4 guys thought it was for them. a-working-title might save a lot of headaches. Better, AAA-working-title, if its still necessary. I was under the assumption that it wasn’t still necessary so I didn’t rename anything.

For troubleshooting, I keep a “communitybackup” folder where I can throw all my scenery and everything but what I’m testing into so I can start a vanilla game + a single mod (or two with the G1000/G36).

1 Like

Whoah, that looks crazy! try restarting with only the g36 and g1000 mod in the community folder.

1 Like

Yep, playing around with it… I do have a few mods… for the TBM mostly.

ANY tbm mod for the 3000 has a really high chance of conflict. I’d definitely advise at least removing that. Putting it in a different folder on the same drive takes no time and no additional space and it won’t load into the sim. Exit, move it all back, restart. Its really helpful.

1 Like

Will try that. Too bad we need Mods to have realistic airplanes lol! Tough to keep track of them all, and what conflicts with what.

Alright, enough of a hijack, but I think I had an older G1000 version in there, and that did not work. Works now.

The flight director and the GFC700 (autopilot) are essentially the same. It is the same software calculations. If you had the autopilot off and followed the flight director precisely it does the same thing, because the math for the flight director is the same as the autopilot, just two forks, one going to the pfd, the other going to the gfc700. In airplanes where you have different systems interacting, it is absolutely possible for the flight director to lead one astray, or an autopilot that behaves wonky regardless of what the flight director says (the more common one), of course with the two systems there can be individual failures as well, but I never had a serious issue with either in my experience. In this airplane, the entire system is integrated together and functions as one.

tl:dr It is absolutely a matter of the autopilot/fd, but in the fs2020 code. Nothing changed with respect to the autopilot in the mod from my understanding. I think it may be beyond the scope of this mod or the G1000 mod.

It’s tied to setting FLC speed on the ground with a tailwind, was able to test it by setting a fixed wind then starting on the ramp and engaging FLC in different facings, whether this is what the real G1000 would do I leave up to people like yourself with access to the real thing. Set it on the ground in a headwind, it only initially goes to about 20degrees nose up, then comes down as the target climb speed approaches the headwind component, with the FD showing level flight once matched to headwind.

1 Like

The performance you’re experiencing sounds correct for 2500 RPM. You have to remember this G36 isn’t turbocharged; any altitude above about 8500 ft. isn’t going to have a blistering climb rate. The fact that the service ceiling for this plane is listed as 18,500 ft sounds miraculous imho, but I don’t fly the plane irl.

EDIT: definitely get on the Dev version, a lot of work has gone into performance since v4, and we’re very close to POH numbers while using automixture. Until MSFS adds better mixture simulation, I think you’ll see us tuning with that feature on.

1 Like

The G1000 would not do that in real life, the software wouldn’t let you press FLC and have it go below minimum autopilot speed either.
(that is easily fixed in the [autopilot] section of system.cfg)
max_IAS_ref=205
min_IAS_ref=80
would add that for the bonanza

But… the GFC700 here is a bit over aggressive. From what I’m understanding the GFC700 (the G1000’s autopilot) is the only component with issues. We need another team for that one now, lol!

Without insult to anyone, I’ve found the best way to have the autopilot behave nicely is to use it in a realistic way. Fly the airplane to what you want the autopilot to do, be accurate, then turn on the autopilot.

Example:
Taking off to the north, flightplan is for 8000ft and its to the south

Takeoff, climb straight ahead to 100 feet or so, hit FLC, pick an airspeed, turn on nav mode = erratic autopilot and something I’d never do for real, I’d be dead. The autopilot doesn’t take over, this isn’t like the AI copilot (except they can kill you too, lol).

You have to gently hand over control to the autopilot. Have your turn to the south already stable, have your airspeed established matching your airspeed indicator to your FLC speed selection. Hit the autopilot and it says thank you for the solid set up, I’ll take it. Try pressing FLC at an airspeed way different from the FLC speed in real life and the airplane will nose up and down aggressively trying to find it, it can be like a mini rollercoaster! Think of the autopilot as a donkey. It hates doing its job but its really good at it, so you have to kind of lead it the right way to work.

Now a great autopilot can handle some hamhandedness, but there are things that will send it into a negative dynamic stability situation. There are absolutely bugs in the autopilot’s way-over-aggressiveness, but they are barely noticeable if you use the autopilot correctly. The only real trouble I’ve had with the autopilot is when I made the mistake of pressing active pause. Holy cow, active pause can make an autopilot self-immolate quick!

BIG EDIT: do NOT turn the autopilot on while on the ground, wow that can throw off the (invisible autopilot) trim in unexpected ways when you reconnect the autopilot in the air. The real thing cannot change trim wiggly back and forth on the ground, you can make it move with the autopilot on the ground but this behaviour is not realistic. Its almost like the autopilot has its own separate trim/aileron control? In the real thing the autopilot moves trim with the same system as the pilot’s trim controls. I did my first massive uncontrollable pitch up after fiddling with the autopilot on the ground. that was fun!

EDIT2: Leaving just the flight director on shows wiggling, turn on the AP and trim starts wiggling too, neither behaviour should happen on the ground.

1 Like

HAHA

Gotta’ give the AP the ole’ carrot and whip treatment :rofl:

My god, is Active Pause broken… It’s sad that they added a silly looking button rather than actually fixing the feature, but now I’m just getting off-topic.

Are those actual parameters you can add to the file, or are you saying they should be added by MSFS in the future? I literally just looked in that file and didn’t see that listed if memory serves.