G36 Improvement Project

When we add these plane mods into community folder, what would/will happen if/when MFS change things?

Is it simply delete the folder from community and goes back to MFS default or could it mess up the plane within the game.

The work on G36 is excellent, I just don’t understand how all the modified files work

Cheers

Just delete the mod from Community and you’re fine. It’s much cleaner than it used to be in the old days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks mate :+1:

@FrettFS and others. I wonder are you testing the aircraft loaded? IE: more than just the default Pilot and CoPilot weights in the plane?

Am I wrong, or aren’t a plane’s published performance stats supposed to be at max operating weight?

I ask, because even with the updated files, if I add any weight to the plane (ie: flying with FS Economy) then it’s back to feeling underpowered I feel. One instance is right now I’m flying with the weight of 4 people (170lbs each as default) and I’m unable to reach 14,000 ft.

For the G36, the cruise charts are based on 3400lbs, all the other charts have a section for weight.

The real G36 Bonanza will hardly climb at 14,000’ at max weight. There are turbo-charged and turbo-normalized Bonanzas, but the one in the sim is normally aspirated. So most flights are done between 7,000 and 10,000’ where it is happiest. (And you don’t have to where oxygen)

we need turbo charged and 33 and 35 versions

the POH charts seem to suggest that even at max weight, a climb to 16k is possible. I’m not sure what my weight was when I was flying, but it was certainly under the max weight as that’s obvious in the fuel/weight screen when you add/remove weight.

Yes, it will go up there, but will barely be climbing. I believe the book says ~200 - 250 ft/min, even worse if temperature is above standard.
Would imagine you were pretty close to gross weight. I think most empty weights are around 2500, plus 444 lbs of fuel, plus 680 lbs of people and you are right at max weight. But I see what you are saying. Maybe some more tweaking on the flight model will help.

It actually stalled ~13.4 or so while using a climb rate of 87 kias. I set the AP and used 100kts and it finished up to 14k, but it was 150 ft/min. I can’t believe it would’ve gone past that. So IMO there’s still room to tweak.

Just some thoughts and wondering what weights are being used when we are doing these mods.

1 Like

Just did a quick test, took off in manually set ISA conditions from a 650 elev airport at 3600lbs and climbed at 110KIAS to 1400 ft. Didn’t stall out, time to climb was 25min 40seconds, POH time to climb chart works out to roughly 25mins. Pretty much spot on, the main thing is to regularly be on the mixture due to the sim’s odd handling of mixture control.

Regarding performance: we test MTOW (3650 lbs) and 3400 lbs configurations depending on what the POH charts describe. We have automixture turned on to ensure consistency between tests. This way we can reach these altitudes pretty much the way the charts suggest (as @Raynen just mentioned)

@N657TG Files in the community folder alway overrule files in the official folder. If Asobo makes their own changes to the G36, the mod will ignore corresponding files as long a it remains in the community folder. At this point we would have to merge the Asobo changes into our own files.

@kaosfere4829 Would adding that line work for users who do not have your G1000 mod installed?

3 Likes

Hi @kaosfere4829, @Coppersens

Think you’re both right; a unified structure that is only working on certain modular pieces will certainly help to keep conflicts at bay.

Once I get the checklists for the G36 done I’ll contact @kaosfere4829 :slight_smile: @kaosfere4829 would you be up to having another helper on your G1000 mod team?

@JuiceBox7535 or other G36 Pilots

We’re working on adding all the annunciators from the POH. Could I ask a real aircraft question?

Does the ‘Alt 1-2 INOP’ warning show when turning on the batteries or does the engine need to be running prior to that warning? Currently our team has it set when batteries on, but I think we need to add a check to see if the engine is running??

Thanks for your help

Regards

Matt

1 Like

@CaptMatto, only when the engine is running. You will have a Busses Tied white annunciation though. Will try to circle back with some more info tomorrow.

Also, if you have a list of any little things, I can possibly run out to the hangar and jump in one and get some photos. Probably won’t have a chance to fly one for a few weeks, but if you need me to check for little things like that I would be happy to.

3 Likes

@JuiceBox7535, awesome thanks!

Wow that’s very kind, thankyou! @FrettFS??

Already implemented, testing now. See response to Github issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the way, for all of you who want to test a newer version of the mod. There is a dev branch on the Github page.

master branch is the stable release version (0.3)
dev-version branch includes the latest work, but may be untested/unstable (0.4 beta)

3 Likes

All tests I completed (and will complete in the future) used a/c weights as prescribed on the chart, even going so far as to use unlimited fuel to ensure consistent data was captured. For climb charts, this was MTOW, and for cruise, it’s 3400 Lbs. (if I remember correctly) as @FrettFS mentioned.

All tests also ensured weight and balance requirements were met as well. For full details, see my post above describing and outlining the test itself and the results.

1 Like

Maybe a full aircraft folder would be a good thing. Only reason I say this is it will allow for any updates from Asobo to be used independently of the mod. Also, there are some people that are having a good time with some air races, that use the default aircraft. It’s impossible to participate if the “default/mod” aircraft doesn’t match from a performance standpoint.

Lastly as far as performance goes…did you notice that even though this is a normally aspirated version of the aircraft, that there is a turbo component in the engine file? I believe it is set to 1200 feet as the critical altitude. Not high at all, but could be used to help tweak the overall performance issues, and get closer to POH numbers?