GAIST Global AI Ship Traffic V5 and Great Lakes

Yeah I dont like the idea either and said as much on the Aerosoft forum.

I doā€¦ with those who contact meā€¦ None of the two mentioned did. Now letā€™s close this discussion. It seems that ultimately we agree. Platforms in the right places good; static ships blocking sea lanes not good.

12 Likes

Ephesus Seaways at port in Turkeyā€¦ that port could need a bit of love it seems :smiley:

Myra Seaways not far from there should be moving but it appears the AIS data hands us a 0 for the speed but the right positionā€¦ We still have some things to look at.

Galata Seaways however appears perfectly under way with the right speed in the right place - donā€™t mind the picture with different paint and chimney - DFDS installed scrubbers to clean exhaust and gave her both a new livery and new chimneyā€¦

Further North, Humbria Seaways in Gothenburg

11 Likes

I have a problem with GAIST since SU9. Seems like no ships are spawning. Using the Seafront Vessels (Global Shipping and AI) and they work but with that stuff disabled, I get no ships now.

Iā€™d love to get it working again. Any suggestions how to totally remove / reset / rebuild the library from scratch? I guess just moving the 9.5gb folder away, clearing Content.xml before loading the game then moving the folder back again is not enough - does it store information elsewhere?

I was using the Beta Ultra package. Seems on FSTO that there are a few I have downloaded in the past, but itā€™s not ā€˜seeingā€™ them as ticked (green tick after I download) so am unsure which is the best download version to use now.

Any hints how to try and make it work again? Maybe a fresh install from the ā€œcorrectā€ FSTO version, would that rebuild the database or do I need to do something else first / as well?

First, we are maybe a week from updating the total package so might not be worth doing a lot of effort right now.

There has been instances where we have had ā€œleft oversā€ from old installations. I will ask Knud who has been working most with that and come back to you. Did you ever have it working after SU9? Did you leave it installed from SU8 while updating to SU9 - the later can give problems. Correct is to remove items from the community folder before updates, though sometimes nothing happens even if you leave them in.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I will wait and try to do a totally clean install when your update is ready.

I cleared the community folder (via Addons Linker) before the SU9 update, then ran the game once with no mods, then re-enabled everything.

I only realised that there were much less ships some time after and investigating further identified that it was GIAST content ā€œmissingā€ IMO - as I already had the Vessels stuff installed alongside, it was muddying the water to know where the problem was but since then I have found itā€™s definitely GAIST because with Vessels only I do get up to hundreds of ships (I have used Dev mode to see the ship name labels).

With GAIST, seas were empty where before I could see many container ships in the distance etc (for example around Dubai / English Channel). Tried with all sorts of density settings on the sliders and makes no difference (although I read since that maybe setting to ZERO then closing the game and opening, then setting them higher again can trigger something to work again?!).

What happens if you deactivate the other vessels and activate GAIST? Regards to settings nothing above 10% will do any difference with GAIST; all routes will appear at Ships & Ferries at 10%.

Iā€™m having the same issue also since SU9, no ships. I have no other 3rd party ship add-ons. I emptied my community folder just as you did. I have not tried to re-install GAIST yet.

I will try it again tonight with a fresh download and use dev mode to check quantities in a few locations. Last time I tried I had just like 10-12 spawned (which I assume are the default MSFS ones) but only knew that because of dev mode. Didnā€™t actually see any as far as I could see with lots of ocean!

Have you tried using LittleNavMap as that will show all the ships, and might make it easier than Dev mode.

In the case of add-ons, consider editing the Content.XML file which governs the load order of Mods - thereā€™s a possibility you have ghost entries remaining in there that are conflicting with GAIST or whatever Mod youā€™re troubleshooting for that matter. In many cases, itā€™s just better to delete Content.xml and let the sim dynamically rebuild it upon next start-up.

1 Like

The firsts tests with default Ships and Data by our Dataprovider have been performed over the weekend, and I have to say we have seen better results then expected in some areas of the world. This includes overall data coverage, accuracy of the data, transformation of live data into Sim and actual InSIm Performance.

There will be some limitations because of current bugs/issues in MSFS:

• Ships might be placed on land, because the sat images in MSFS are outdated.
  • Ships at altitudes other then SeaLevel will not be visible (see the Great Lakes fix by Henrik)
  • Ships might perform strange manouvers, because the SIm can not handle ā€œside-waysā€ operations. We will add a workaround to place moored ships at their correct location after arrival. (Ship will ā€œjumpā€ to that)

Overall: For a Flight Simulator the handling of ships is more then aceptable :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Iā€™m still looking for a non-AI version of the GAIST even after this latest version becomes available. I hope that can be accommodated. Thanks.

2 Likes

:balloon: :sparkler: :tada: :sparkling_heart: :smile: :+1:

4 Likes

Not understoodā€¦ No-AIā€¦ Pilotable?

Sorry @hnielsen791 - I was being unclear - will you still publish a package that operates on the pre-plotted routes much like GAIST today? Iā€™m leery of using AI packages as they tend to eat up CPU cycles that I could use to drive the rest of the sim.

yes, the bgl will still be available and updated with routes for the new ships and as option divided into regions to reduce load

10 Likes

Thank you!

Botnia Seaways - another one of the new models and below her sister Finnkraft sailing between Denmark and Finland

11 Likes

would the GAIST ships disappear if one sets it higher than 10 % ?