GAIST Global AI Ship Traffic V5 and Great Lakes

Doh! I just bought this…

…so no real harm other than visual? I guess with the seas being as big as they are the chances are not so high anyway (but of course it will happen sooner or later)

1 Like

Have you tried going somewhere that definitely has lots of shipping traffic, like the English Channel (La Manche) between England and France for example?

Most dense traffic between Calais and Dover. I use this as a reference location to check that everything is working.

Exactly, it won’t harm the system - it’s just a visual thing as ships simply won’t stop for other ships. They just follow their path no matter if there is anything in their way :wink:

1 Like

@AviatorDown8227 , That worked. I tried the Dover-> Calais route and saw quite a few ships
best regards

1 Like

BC Ferries and Washington State Ferries progressing…

MV Kitsap by Larry in conversion

Salish Eagle ready for the sim and below Coastal Renaisance W.I.P. - she was done on a flight between Europe and Asia. The picture reveals a bit of cheating as you can see a lot of spare parts to the right - all imported from other models to make modeling faster. 50% of the texture sheet for my BC Ferries is common among models and this also goes for parts like radars, antenas, navigation lamps etc.

17 Likes

I’ve got a very strange issue with GAIST ships (the present V2). I was absent from the sim for a week, installed the Canada WU, made a test flight around Vanvouver with GAIST enabled, and this is what I see:

There are several ships of this style. I tried modifying a few settings which didn’t help. Did anyone see this before? Any idea how to cures this disease?

1 Like

Saw a ship exhibiting this off Chatham MA in SU10 but prior to WU11 Canada. Henrik visually confirmed it’s not one of his. I wonder if this might be the same situation - either another add-on or Asobo static asset since it doesn’t appear to have a wake.

2 Likes

It is as @CasualClick mentions not a GAIST ship. It is one - well, another of the default ships than reported above.Quick fix remove/limit the default traffic by reducing the ship traffic to 6% which won’t affect GAIST or remove the bgl file containing the default traffic, but it is also worth mentioning to Asobo.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the quick answers. I already have ship traffic at 6 % for a long time and re-checked it’s still valid. But anyway, good to know it’s a default ship, this gives me a direction for further investigation. Maybe it’s something which came with the recent Canada WU? I am flying quite often in the Vancouver area but never hit such a phenomenon before.

@pmb2019 and @CasualClick
Thanks to the help of some users with the same issue we discovered that the those lines are from the wake effects attached to the ships (their originating point is where the effect is attached to the model)
and those, confirm, are default ships
The behaviour has been observed since SU10 beta, so it has nothing to do with Canada update.
From the little experience I have with effects, those lines are a malformed effect, most likely the bitmap associated the wake effect (fx_wake_s) is not loaded in the right way.

I will open the issue at Devsupport and see if they figure out what the problem is

5 Likes

Thank you so much, mamu. Now this seems to take shape, I hope, Asobo will be able to remedy this in the not so far future.

Moreover, I’ll see if I find a way to suppress the default ships for the moment, as the 6 % setting doesn’t seem to do the job yet.

Does this only affect MSFS ships?

After working a couple of hours on this, I give up. I cant’t reproduce it today. I gradually activated all addons I used yesterday using Addon Linker, and the ugly rays just don’t appear anymore. That’s the same region (close to the Lion’s Gate Bridge in Vancouver) today:

There is a ship in a similar place as the named one yesterday, but not only are the “rays” missing but the ship seems to be different from the one I saw yesterday.

I am lost at this point. Either it was a streaming effect (improbable) or ships differ because of a different time of day or I had another addon activated which I don’t recall.

I resign now, but will keep an eye (and report) if it repeats at some point.

1 Like

BC Ferries part I

26 Likes

BC Ferries part 2

21 Likes

The first of Larry’s BC Ferries converted to MSFS

18 Likes

Please don’t think I want to wind you up or anything. But I’m asking myself whether this new version will only be released when you’re sure you have every single ship modelled that is currently roaming the oceans and waterways of this planet :wink: :wink:

Personally I’ve been on tenterhooks for the new version with all its improvements for months. From your post over the last weeks it looks to me like you have the simulation side of your mod covered pretty well and are now working more on content. Also I had gotten the impression with V2 already, that you are a pretty perfectionist developer who takes especially much care to release a finished product.

So I wonder whether it might be possible that you put a little too much pressure on your quality control and whether it may be an idea to release your addon sooner and make updates on a regular basis. What’s your take on that?

Thanks
Best wishes
Archer

3 Likes

While I put out models, the rest of the team and a lot of beta testers are working on testing and finalizing the functionality. As mentioned in another post to launch it also requires that I am at home and able to provide support - and that is rare at the moment as I am travelling a lot for business.

7 Likes

Understood. Must have missed that part.

1 Like

To counter Archers impatience, I hope you don’t forget our little Mount Batten Ferry! :smiley:

(only joking, but not really, but I am… :wink: )

Runs every 15 mins for a 4 minute trip across the Plym river estuary :slight_smile:

3 Likes