Gamepad inputs are not working on the carrier landing challenge

First of all I really enjoy this free TopGun DLC, hats off to Asobo in that matter!
Now to the downside: I can fly all new challenges and trainings without any problem, but as soon as i start the “San Diego Carrier Recovery” challenge, i find myself not being able to control the jet with my gamepad.

I have to admit I’m using a PS5 controller and DS4Windows, but until today I never had any issues and it also only specifically affects this one carrier landing challenge.

The only thing that is working in that moment is the press of the left analog stick to activate the cursor as you can see in the screenshot below:

Apart from that I’m doomed to slam that jet into the ground everytime i start this challenge, because its not reacting on any other input from my side.

Question: Does anybody else face this issue and is this bug already addressed to Asobo?
Since i can use my gamepad flawlessly in any other situation in MSFS2020, i think its just this one challenge, that kind of has issues with my controller.

I’m not facing this issue with my PS1 controller. I tried PS5 and Xbox controllers with Flight Simulator but the white dot issue was so annoying that I returned them for a refund.

The PS1 controller supports native Direct Input. So does the PS5 controller, but Flight Simulator artificially blocks support for it, which makes you have to emulate a Xbox controller.

Yep, I’m using PS4/PS5 controllers and emulation software like DS4Windows for quite a while now and also successfully running other games with it. So far it always worked like a charm and i also never faced any issues with MSFS2020. So i guess its rather a very specific “bug” for some kind of controllers in this challenge. I tried to use different profiles already during the flight, but none of them fixed the input issue :confused:

I would just be really glad if there existed a solution for this, because i was eager to fly the carrier missions since i heard about it in the first TopGun DLC trailers for the first time :slight_smile:

Hats off to you guys flying with a gamepad no way on gods green earth could i or would want to even try it

Hi there,
For asking questions such as, “Is anyone else experiencing this?”, we ask that people use the Community Support category instead of General Discussion. I moved your thread there.

1 Like

Thank you! I was not aware of this, sorry.

1 Like

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a small update regarding my issue:

I had to reinstall the whole sim yesterday because i changed the SSD underneath to a more performing and bigger one. Since then i did not encounter this input issue anymore.
In that matter i also reinitialized my gamepads (plugged the bluetooth dongle into another USB port). So I’m not sure which one of these measurements help to get rid of it, but at least it’s working properly now.
I was already able to do my first carrier landing and it felt amazing! :slight_smile:

This topic can actually be closed, thank you!

Just wanted to add that I also had this problems with inputs not working on the San Diego Carrier Recovery challenge. Every other mission or challenge worked fine. I am using an Xbox One controller.

To fix this, I opened the Xbox app on my PC > went to Flight Simulator > Manage > Files > Select “Verify and Repair”. Some files appeared to be downloaded, once done I launched the game again, and then my controls were working again for this challenge.

1 Like

Great, thanks for this feedback! So thats the equivalent of reinstalling the game and it really seems to fix it :+1:

I’m having EXACTLY the same problem with the San Diego Carrier Recovery using a PC . Any thouhts on how to fix this, I’d appreciate.
Thanks in advance

Just read through this thread. There are several suggestions to fix this issue.
Either install the game or try to “Verify and Repair” your gamefiles like TheJudge24 described.