Getting Descend Instructions from ATC in non-IFR flight

I’m currently flying the Darkstar at 270,000 ft. Mach 9.94.

It’s a GPS direct flight.

Isn’t this a VFR flight? I’m getting descend instructions from ATC as if I had filed an IFR flight plan. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Moved to #gd-commsupport:anc

Hello there, Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

I think you are mistaken - that was a Space Command under Cheyenne Mountain warning before they ready another “balloon killer” after you.

I think I see the issue. Unbeknownst to me, my VFR flight plan had been denied as it was night. I was automatically put on an IFR flight plan. However, I have no options on the ATC window to cancel IFR.

I’ve had to detune the ATC comms channel to shut him up.

1 Like

IFR flight plans are required at FL180 and above.

5 Likes

I’d be more concerned if they’d told you to climb.

2 Likes

Not above 60,000 feet though. Up there you can VFR all you want.

2 Likes

I always wondered if you file VFR on top :thinking:
Never did have a chance to fly that high, or ask a friendly CFI-I

At least in the US airspace there is no requirement to file IFR at night. Last time I checked you do not need a VFR-night license like you do in other jurisdictions.
Though having flown through the Arizona desert on a moonless night, with a solid high cloud cover, being IFR rated is a good thing.

GPS direct can be VFR and IFR and at least in the US will be more and more commonly used as VORs and NDBs are switched off to increase flexibility and decrease fuel burn and safe money on maintenance

Technically Darkstar and other manned ISR would be under Instrument Rules and separate Control for either training or actual deployment. But you fly in the sim the way you want!

At FL2,700 you are back in Class E, and way out of normal ATC controlled Airspace, and most likely on a UHF frequency, or some such Fictional “Sub-space” frequency.

When the orbiter is above the horizon, air-to-ground voice on the UHF band can be heard either on 259.7 MHz or 296.8 MHz. Also, when the astronauts are performing an extra- vehicular activity (EVA), or spacewalk, the space- to-space communications are on 279.0 MHz.

Maybe when MSFS ATC gets an update, they will now consider vehicles like the “Darkstar” – but dont hold your breath (or run out of Oxygen, waiting)

2 Likes