Ghosting effect on propeller after latest update

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

C172 (both steam gauge & G1000)

Brief description of the issue:

While moving external camera back and forth facing the plane, the propeller has a tracing/ghosting effect. It essentially trails itself on the monitor.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

While flying the C172 go to external view. Face the front of the plane, then pan the camera left to right, right to left, etc.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Issue occoured on a group flight of 15+ C172’s. Some on Xbox. Most on PC.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Current build - After the Texas City Update installed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Which type of antialiasing are you using? With some types of AA this blur is expected behavior due to how the function.

I can replicate this very new issue with TAA anti-aliasing. I never saw this blurring effect before and I’ve been using the sim with the same settings since it was released.

1 Like

I’ve had ghosting like that with TAA since long before AAU2. It’s expected and normal. TAA blends together past and future frames in order to perform its antialiasing, there’s no way around it since that’s how it is designed to function. There are techniques to minimize it, but at its core that’s how it functions.

I’d recommend experimenting with other antialiasing options if the TAA blur is distracting.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, but it’s not a new issue I think.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

The TAA unwanted effect has been there since the beginning. It is most noticeable with moving objects in front of clouds.

This is from February 2021.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

https://youtu.be/JBP9vKvwQD0

I have the recorded video footage of every stream I’ve done since the release of MSFS and I never experienced this specific visual artifact until very recently.

Also, in my experience, TAA has the best output quality (and the most performance impact of course). Any other anti-aliasing options will introduce other unwanted visual artifacts, including the relatively new DLSS. That’s why TAA has always been my choice for my graphics card and monitor at 1440 resolution.

1 Like