Glareshield and Floodlights C172 always on when spawning on the runway

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

I always spawn on a runway (engines running, ready to take off), however, since the last update, the floodlights and glareshield are always on. I’ve been into the C172 runway.flt file, determined that they are set to FALSE, however the behavior still occurs. It does not matter what time of day or night, they are always on. I can adjust them to off, but would like it to be off when I first start

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

The same behavior occurs when spawning C&D in a parking spot.

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:
When loading in, the overhead cabin spot light are illuminated, the panel and glare sheild lights are on as well. Older models of the C172 model (by default) had these light off. It’s rather stupid that the latest default behvior has these lights on, even during the daytime, nearly blasting

Cannot find a way to change the model behavior to keep these lights off by default
[/wrap]

sr 22 has the same “problem”, was not like this before.

State Saving ??

The Problem I see is the 172N Interior model xml file cannot be modded and saved (assuming because of the fsarchive drm junk),

Nonetheless the highlighted states shows the problem here. Why do I need a fully illumated glaresheild light by default

Even during night operations, this would be detrimental to night vision. It’s blinding

If the model scales back the brightness to Glareshield no greater than 10% and spotlights no greater than 5%, it’s more ideal.

Sadly at the current point (again, becuase of the fsarchive issue), we can’t do anything about changing this default behavior.

I just gave that a bash.

I tried two values.

LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1=0

This appears under “Behaviours”, and is an LVAR. But it seems to have no effect.

I also tried:

LIGHT GLARESHIELD POWER SETTING:1=0

This isn’t an LVAR, but an MSFS variable. Neither seem to work, sadly.

The four I identified seem to have zero effect unfortunately. This may be an incorrect assumption on my part, that you can put any LVAR under the “[LocalVars]” section of the “state.cfg” file, and manipulate its behaviour.

LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1=0
LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1=0
LIGHTING_CABIN_1=0
LIGHTING_CABIN=2=0

So I had some luck, which may highlight something else going on.

So I added the following lines to the end of the “systems.cfg” file.

[LocalVars]
LocalVar.1 = LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1
LocalVarDefault.1 = 0
LocalVar.2 = LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1
LocalVarDefault.2 = 0
LocalVar.3 = LIGHTING_CABIN_1
LocalVarDefault.3 = 0
LocalVar.4 = LIGHTING_CABIN_2
LocalVarDefault.4 = 0

By default these now get written into the “state.cfg” file:

LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1=100
LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1=0
LIGHTING_CABIN_1=100
LIGHTING_CABIN_2=100

This is what everyone sees. So I now turn all these values down, then go back to the main menu.

The “state.cfg” file now gets overwritten, and this is what I see:

LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1=14.999999
LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1=0
LIGHTING_CABIN_1=25
LIGHTING_CABIN_2=25

Great, you might think. It’s now got these values included with state saving…but, as soon as you respawn in that plane, this is what you get.

LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1=100
LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1=0
LIGHTING_CABIN_1=100
LIGHTING_CABIN_2=100

Even before the airport loads, they have been reset. It’s not the default values as you can see I tried to set those all to 0. There is something else at work here. Some mechanism is overriding even the state file to bring three of them up to 100.

I tried repeating a similar process for the WB-SIM 172X. I shoehorned in those values, but they never seem to appear in the “state.cfg”.

[LocalVars]
LocalVar.1 = INSTRUMENT_CDI_Knob_Course_1_1
LocalVarDefault.1 = 70
LocalVar.2 = INSTRUMENT_CDI_Knob_Course_2_1
LocalVarDefault.2 = 230
LocalVar.3 = INSTRUMENT_HEADINGINDICATOR_KNOB_HEADING_1
LocalVarDefault.3 = 20
LocalVar.4 = INSTRUMENT_ADF_Knob_1
LocalVarDefault.4 = 60
LocalVar.5 = 172X_BENDIX_SCREEN_COLOR
LocalVarDefault.5 = 0
LocalVar.6 = KAP140_ALT_ALERTER
LocalVarDefault.6 = 1400
LocalVar.7 = KAP140_VOICE_BEEP
LocalVarDefault.7 = 0
LocalVar.8 = KAP140_BARO_MODE
LocalVarDefault.8 = 0
LocalVar.9 = LIGHTING_GLARESHIELD_1
LocalVarDefault.9 = 0
LocalVar.10 = LIGHTING_PEDESTAL_1
LocalVarDefault.10 = 0
LocalVar.11 = LIGHTING_CABIN_1
LocalVarDefault.11 = 0
LocalVar.12 = LIGHTING_CABIN_2
LocalVarDefault.12 = 0

My values, 9-12, never appear in the file, even if I rename it to force a new one to be created. I wonder if those LVARS don’t exist on this plane? They look like system defaults one, but perhaps are not used here. Still, I would expect these unused vars. to appear in the file, even if they don’t store meaningful data i.e. the process should work.

Some of the values that were in there do change, but they never match what I put into the VC instruments. For example, I set VOR1 to 61, VOR2 to 62, and the ADF to 63.

What I actually got was this:

[LocalVars]

INSTRUMENT_CDI_Knob_Course_1_1=350
INSTRUMENT_CDI_Knob_Course_2_1=350
INSTRUMENT_HEADINGINDICATOR_KNOB_HEADING_1=120
INSTRUMENT_ADF_Knob_1=60

KAP140_ALT_ALERTER=3400
KAP140_VOICE_BEEP=0
KAP140_BARO_MODE=0
[engine.0]
accumulated_time=0.568517
accumulated_time_hobbs=0.512689

Those values are nothing like what was set in the VC, but they were the only three values to change, and they are the only three I touched. It’s really odd!

1 Like

The WB-SIM already has 100% state saving of the Lights (if you turn on state saving), so the planes Lighting Knobs will state save in their positions, just like they would in RL.

SO when you come back and load in your plane later, it will be in the same state as when you left it.

I think at the time I was trying to find a way to override that, for someone else.

yes

Spawning: floodlights are ON as well as 3 light types in the “Dimming” panel illuminating the glareshield (see below screenshot)
C&D: floodlights & 3 of the glareshield are ON but since there is no power there is no light. As soon as you switch ON the power, lights are automatically ON since there are already selected on the ON position.
I don’t know if the sim allows a different configuration for lights when spawning during day time vs night time