GPU Utilization in VR

What’s everyone GPU utilization like? Mine is always around 60-70% in VR and I wonder if this is normal or should be higher.

This is an rtx 3080 running with an 8700k@4.8ghz. Would a faster CPU increase the utilization or is the low utilization just part of FS being badly optimized?

I run a G2 at 90% render scale in Sim and 80% in WMR. If I go higher, I start losing more frames than I want to (like to try and keep it at 40-50+ at all times. So the resolution is impacting performance, yet the GPU is nowhere near maxed out. Yet at the same time, dev mode fps counter shows Im GPU limited a lot of the time (but also main thread limited at others)

Any insights? Thanks!

I wouldn’t worry too much some people would kill for the FPS you are getting, there are lots of threads where performance and specs are a bit off or better specs that can’t get half decent performance.

I have just updated pc and paired a 5800x and a 1080ti and I’m mostly thread bound.

I only get about 20-25 FPS but its smooth and is relatively detailed enough with a quest 2.

Enjoy the view and don’t worry too much about performance.

Anyway why are bears cool?

Yeah I mean I’m fairly pleased with the performance, seems pretty good compared to what many have to deal with. Obviously it breaks down below 40 in London etc though.

I was just curious what is causing the utilization to be so low and trying to get some comparison values.

If I knew why bears are cool I’d be as cool as them!

I have a 8600K@4.9, 1080Ti , 32GB Ram using WMR/HPG2 with 100%OpXR and 70% in Sim render scaling. My GPU averages 100% and my CPU cores average ~45-65% with HAGS ON with latest Win10 update and Nvidia driver. Never been as smooth in VR until now. Before the latest hotfix I was seeing 3-4 of my CPU cores at 100% and stutters. I think for smooth stutter free experience, the GPU should be the limiter with the downside of lower overall FPS. I don’t use reprojection or smoothing. I would bet that you may see a vast improvement going to an 8-10 core CPU to feed your 3080. :wink:

Interesting. Hmm. I dunno, from everything I’ve read, a 10900k or similar wouldn’t bring a huge improvement si ce it’s the same IPC as my current CPU and FS doesn’t use many threads. So the only gain would be if I overclocked it to 5.2ghz or something, in which case it would be 400mhz faster than what I have now, which would be something like 7% faster, not exacltly"vast". Since new Gen is coming soon I gotta wait for that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.