Graphic card only running on 20-50%

Hey Guys,

Since I’ve been playing microsoft flight simulator 2020 I’ve had problems with the Fps. The game itself goes well, but sometimes it hangs. The problem is that my graphics card only runs at 20% -50%. Do you have any tips on how I can get everything out of my graphics card so that the game runs smoothly? Thanks in advance!

What GPU?
Have you tried cranking up the visuals? Increase Render scaling?

I’m running rtx 3090. In terms of max FPS it’s not much of an increase over what I saw with 1080ti @ mostly ultra and runs about 30% load.
(I got it for other things incl VR. VR is much improved with the 3090 in a lot of games.)

Increasing render scaling to 200 makes my GPU work at a rate I would expect it to. The FPS hit is negligible.
FPS crushing to 2fps and stutters still occur. These are not caused by the graphics settings. They are caused by something else and the graphics settings dont make any real difference.

I could probably run the game at Low and when all the holes in the Swiss cheese line up I will still see the stutters and frame rate collapse.

I play on a 2080 super. All settings are on Ultra

What’s your render scaling set to? 100%? More?
If @ 100 then increase it to 200, work backwards reducing it until you find the sweet spot of GPU working, image looks sharp and FPS doesn’t take too much of a hit.

My guess is your issue is probably on CPU side which can’t feed enough your GPU, like a lot of us. You should tell us what is your CPU and its single core speed, it will help.

But try first to lower some graphics settings (and your expectations). Some of them are really CPU hungry, so will free up resource for the CPU, and your GPU usage will raise. Nearly nobody can run this Sim all on ultra.

I have an I7 10700K and RTX 3070 and I’m CPU limited in MSFS with low graphic settings, even with my CPU OC at 5.1Ghz all cores.

I have a i710700k and it’s also running on 30% so I don’t know. I guess it’s wrong from the side of Asobo…

Overall it might be 30%, but look down at the logical core level vs overall CPU. Good chance one of the core is pegged. Running same CPU with all cores at 4.9GHz with a 3090 and getting significant drops in FPS down into the teens, with GPU not breaking a sweat.

Interested in what the overall visual impact of going over 100 for render scaling. I run 3440x1440 at scaling 100 at ultra with some other items raised. I raised scaling and saw my top end FPS drop, but couldn’t tell any difference visually.

1 Like

@EZEd1063 is right, @Cleminator1113 ,in your monitoring program or task manager, display each cores individually, and not the average %, and you’ll see the problem. One of your core, and I guess it’s the last one like me as we have the same processor, reach 100% or nearly 100% and drop down the whole performance, other core are low. This is not a new problem, it’s old, but worse from last update.

Welcome to the club!

Assume not running any fps limiters?
Is the power settings on PC set to performance mode in windows power options and NVidia control panel?

Just adding the needed link to vote for this bug to be resolved asap:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.