Graphics Device CTD on DX12

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes, but it happened a second time without being in Developer Mode.

Brief description of the issue:

Got a notification of a “Hang” when on a flight with the C172. Said something like: Important, you are on a BETA edition using DX12. If you switch to DX11 you should not experience this problem.

The error message also included the possibilities that the graphics card had overheated (I monitor temperature and the temp was quite low), and three others that I don’t remember off hand. I expect this to occur again and will try to remember to take a screen shot of it.

I have never seen this issue before SU14B. Information was sent as requested to AMD (RX 6650 XT).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Sorry, don’t have one.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly at dusk from KIMT to KESC with FSLTL, hard Assistance settings, Developer mode with FPS displayed for performance evaluation. (A second occurence did not have FSLTL enabled or Developer Mode).

PC specs and/or peripheral set up:

Ryzen 5600x, rx 6650 xt, 32 GB, 600 watt power supply, CH yoke and pedals

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1855673701525210918, type 5

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

FS2020 is on DX12 Beta.

Thank you. I realize the way I wrote the description was not good and have edited it to (hopefully) make it say better what I mean. I knew that DX12 is still Beta in MSFS, but I can see how you interpreted my writing as my not being aware that DX12 was in beta. I was trying to say that I haven’t gotten this error message with any previous MSFS versions, including betas. It is definitely associated with DX12 in the SU14 beta. So I have changed the above description. The next time this happens I will make a screen shot.

So I appreciate you alerting me. It forced me to revisit my writing and try to write what I mean in a better way.

2 Likes

I’ve had the problem with DX12 immediately CTD for over a year. I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t work. And I would need the FG under DX 12. I’m hoping for FS2024, I’ve given up on FS 2020. Unfortunately, that’s the way it is. Ryzen 7 5800x3D and RTX 4070Ti. I know that strangely enough, others with this constellation don’t have any problems with it. Unfortunately I do. And I’m at the end of my nerves and the tests…!!!

Had DX12 graphics error, then CTD during a flight after today’s update, for the first time more or less ever for me.

In my case was on a Headwinds 787-9 flight over USA between CYVR and KPHX at FL370.
Strangely I found two errors in the Event Manager, one straight after the other:
Exception code: 0x80000003
Exception code: 0xc0000409

For now perhaps I will revert to DX11 if it happens again …

1 Like

This seems it happens to me since the Windows 23H2 update?

Before today i never had this issue, now it happens every flight after about 30-60 mins.

Never had issues with CTD on sim update 13 or prior, now every single flight i have CTD even on DX 11. 14 beta 2 is not good.

3080GT 10GB
5950x
64GB ram at 3600

It seems to be happening only when i fly from iceland (BIKF) to greenland (BGSF) approximately in the middle of the ocean.

Once at 652013N 0274230W and another at 6543189N 0291579W

It happened about 5 out of 5 times now the last 3 days, but when i do a flight in another direction it doesn’t happen and i can fly for hours without problems.

I’ve now had two crashes within a few hours, the first I’ve had for quite a while.

Crash 1 - In VR, flying in the CJ4, near the end of a simple flight URSS to URMM. The VR image became “melted”, then eventually froze. The only way out was Cntrl-Alt-Del and sign out. This was the first time I’ve experienced this problem in the CJ4, though I invariably see it with the 787. I presume this is the problem with VRAM running out in DX12, as reported by many others, but this is the first time I remember it happening in the CJ4, one of my most used aircraft. If this starts happening regularly, I think I will have to give up on FS2020/2024 - I find DX11 has too many glitches, and I am reluctant to return to 2D mode.

Crash 2 - CTD from the pre-flight screen. Following the above crash, I was trying to obtain system information prior to another (test) flight, so I had briefly exited the sim. The CTD occurred after I had re-entered the sim, and was about to re-enter the flight.

At the moment, I would say SU14 is a backward step. I think they are trying to cram too much into the avionics etc, without fixing what is known to be a basic flaw in DX12 for FS2020, specifically VRAM management. I thought this had been fixed based on the original SU14 beta, but now it seems to have gone backwards, and for me is worse than the current stable release.

Oculus Quest 2
1080Ti (11GB VRAM)
DX12

Now after a recent update the graphics device error popup doesn’t show anymore but after a couple of hours in flight the screen freezes, the sim keeps running but is not responsive. CPU usage is very low and GPU usage is 0. I have to end the process manually.

Also there is no error report in the event viewer so i am unable to get details about this. Windows indicates MSFS is running without issues.

Frequent CTDs when changing settings ,like sound device input, or after completing DLs from Content Manager.
Its the “Your graphics device has encountered a problem” message.
Latest Nvidia driver, rtx 4080, DX12, FG ON, Nvidia filters.
No overclocking.

Its the same problem as: Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem
which is marked as solved - it is not!

Never had this problem with my 3090 (DX12), so wonder if it is a 40XX problem (FG?)…?

1 Like

Now i also get it in the main menu after sitting in the menu for a while. Now i get the popup again “Error: DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL (0x887a0001)”

Also the Shared GPU memory is full, so this is probably a memory leak.

Played the beta on DX12beta and the screen/display started to flash. This cannot be good for your GPU.

I keep getting this error about 1-2 minutes into every single flight. Specs MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI 7800x3d and RTX 4090. I tried updating to the latest chipset, BIOS, and Nvidia driver 551.61. I’m using DX12. I tried running MSFS and Flyptmover in admin mode. Nothing has had an effect. MSFS keeps CTD. I never had this issue before. It seems to have started after joining the beta

Same here. I got this error yesterday. Assuming it’s something with DX12. I also have Nvidia driver 551.61. It says it could be driver related. I am wondering if anyone else gets this error with another driver version?

This problem began when I joined the beta for SU15. I even had this problem using a much older Nvidia driver that I never had issues with

I thought I found the problem. I was using FSR2 Balanced. Then when I switched to DLSS Quality, the issue seemed to have resolved itself yesterday. However now after the latest beta build 1.37.7.0 today the problem is back. DLSS Quality will work in VR forever even with Flyptmover running. However as soon as I engage my motion platform with Thanos Controller, the sim will work fine for a few minutes, then suddenly start dropping FPS from 60 to 35 after a few minutes longer. It does this even when I pause the sim using the escape key and just look around for awhile. Once it reaches 35 fps, the error message screen Silvera1657 posted shows up. The sim locks up, then eventually crashes completely. I will try a different version of DLSS with my DLSS swapper utility tomorrow and see if that makes any difference. When I switched to FSR2, the sim immediately crashed, which was worse than before. At least before, it would work for a few minutes before crashing.

It’s not DLSS related though i’m getting this using TAA. Something wrong with DX12 at the moment.

1 Like

Apparently so. I tried an updated DLSS version yesterday and had the same problem.

I’ve never had a problem with DX12 until the most recent beta. However I switched to DX11 and the problem stopped. This is on the latest beta. So it must be a memory leak in DX12.