GSX and FStraffic balance

Both GSX and FStraffic are great stand-alone additions to increase immersion but obviously compete for valuable memory resources at airports given Asobo’s allocation logic. Nonetheless, what are the recommended settings in either or both to achieve some level of balance without loosing the best of both? Or, is that a bridge too far? I just installed GSX and poof…lost all the FStraffic.

I typically fly the Fenix A320 only. I have an i9-10900KF @4.8Ghz/RTX 3090/128GB DDR/Windows 11.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend you go back and read both manuals cause you might be over your head here, they aren’t supposed to interfere or interact with one another, GSX AFAIK doesnt even have performance options, so before you have frustrating experiences you should learn more about what they do.

One main problem you will run into will be hitting max sim object count (there is a hard limit in this sim of number of sim objects (at any one time/place), especially true at some of the bigger/newer detailed airports like Ini’s EGLL, KLAX etc that already can have lots of objects in them already, then you add more objects in by injecting AI air traffic and GSX gate/jetway related objects. When you say “lose your FSTraffic” AI aircraft, you may be reporting invisible AI traffic, as when you exceed a certain sim max object count then AI aircraft (I use FSLTL myself) can become become completely invisible (except for sounds and lights for me). I’ve also seen the occasional case where both GSX gate vehicles and AI are present (noises and doing their thing) but both completely invisible.

The ways to address this are -

• In Ini’s case you can now use their IniManager installer to tweak down settings at the dense airports like EGLL and KLAX including textures and reduce object counts.

• In GSX settings you can open the FSDT Universal Installer and click on ‘Config’ and uncheck ‘Extra ground Clutter’, go back to main installer page and hit ‘Check for Update’ button to update the setting. This will put a less ground object dense version of the jetways into the sim.

The other thing to keep in mind with AI traffic is CPU load. It’s quite easy to see FPS drops especially in weather at a dense airport, so you have to think worst case scenario - say rain at your densest airport like Ini’s EGLL and then go and tweak some sim graphics settings down to keep you out of CPU limitation. So CPU loaders like TLOD (I have mine at 150), AI Traffic of all kinds, so roads, airport, workers, ships etc (I have mine set at 5-10%)

Also the more dense AI traffic you have the higher the CPU load will be so in FSLTL case I set IFR traffic down to something like IFR:45, VFR:1, Static:20 to mitigate CPU loading.

Your system is similar to mine as I have a 3090 but with a 5950 CPU. Irrespective of CPU all of us usually end up being CPU limited with this sim, so these are the types of things we need to keep an eye on. GSX usually only loads the CPU during gate ops especially if you load passengers on ‘Insane’ setting.

2 Likes

Also make sure that you set No Ground Service for all aircraft in FS Traffic Control Centre.

Kyle

Firstly, I am simply curious how most people run with both GSX and FSTraffic. In fact, Kyle, you should read the manuals: FStraffic can be set from 0 to 50 to 75 to 100 percent traffic. GSX can be adjusted by turning off extra ground clutter in the GSX updater settings. Secondly, like any other addon, especially ones that inject objects and aircraft at airports, they compete for limited CPU/GPU memory. My question was simply what settings do most people use when using both.

Thanks Bragraindrop. Good info and tip on the FSDT updater. Since I use JF newly released FSTraffic I can lower the setting down to 50% as well, so should be good. I set MSFS ground traffic/objects etc at 1 as recommended in the FStraffic setup manual. I do set road traffic at about 30.

1 Like

If you go to the FsTraffic Traffic Controller then Aircraft Manager and select the Ground Services tab you should find the option to ‘Set for Fast Gate Turnarounds’.

If you select that option and save it you should find that GSX (with extra ground clutter turned off) and FsTraffic (at 100%) play nicely together, even at LHR with all the bells and whistles enabled.

It is entirely down to the MSFS object limit being exceeded.

2 Likes