GSync Abnormalities and Issues

Specs:
RTX 2070
i7-6700k
16gb RAM
3440x1440 G-Sync Ultrawide 120hz monitor

When disabling VSync (which greys out frame rate lock) in the MSFS options, in almost any circumstances of other games and applications, this enables or uses G-Sync. I’ve been told time and time again to disable the in game options or settings when using a G-Sync monitor. When doing so in MSFS, the menus and in game suffer from pretty significant lag and lower FPS.

In Nvidia Control Panel, I have VSync enabled, as also is instructed for other games. Regardless of Full Screen G-Sync or Full Screen + Windowed in Nvidia Control Panel, the menu lag and FPS issues are constant.

When I turn on Vsync in MSFS options and FPS Lock at 60 FPS, the menu lag disappears and the in-game experience has much improved FPS.

Anyone else experiencing the same and have any feedback or pointers? Something seems wrong here.

I had to enable this option:
Settings -> Display -> Graphics Settings -> Variable refresh rate.

It appears MSFS runs in a full screen window, so does not trigger the full screen gsync.

I also enabled gsync for FlightSimulator.exe in nVidia control panel for programs. When I added this .exe, it was set to ‘Fixed’ for some reason. Also, strangely flight sim was not already in the list, I had to add it manually.

I am quite sure gsync is now working as the visuals are much smoother, and once I adjusted the game options to keep FPS generally above 30fps, the smoothness is significant. Also, no tearing of course.

By the way, vsync off doesn’t enable gsync. gsync can be used with or without vsync. Vsync merely limits fps to the monitor or other rate.

Specs:
RTX 2080S
i7-4970K
16gb RAM
3840x2160 gsync 120hz monitor, game set to 70% scaling to be ~1440p.

4 Likes

Nvidia Control Panel, do you enable Vsync globally? And in game settings, do you keep Vsync off? Lastly, do you use the Nvidia Control Panel G-Sync global setting to Full Screen or Full Screen + Windowed?

FYI, I had checked the variable refresh rate options in Windows 10 Graphics Settings before I got the game (along with Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling).

1. My nVidia global settings are all defaults. So Vsync is set App controlled.

2. I configure Vsync either in game or in nV settings per app based upon their peculiarities. Mostly I just ignore it as default behavior is either vsync on or off up to 120hz. Some games have stutter or strange behavior, then I try different settings. I use ‘fast’ for one game, ‘max frame rate’ for another, but very few manually configured.

3. Gsync main setting is still ‘Full Screen’ only, not ‘Full screen + Windowed’. I only changed the Windows Setting ‘Variable refresh rate’. Have not tried the nV one.

BTW, biggest improvement for me was to drop game setting ‘Terrain Level Of Detail’ to 70% also turned off AI traffic and Airport traffic. Otherwise I was pegged at ‘Limited by main thread’ with built in profiling display.

Strange observation: If I hit ESC to show main menu during play, the FPS genuinely doubles, get since I have head tracker, I can see it’s still drawing the 3D world behind the menu as it moves with my head. Don’t know what it’s ‘not doing’ while in menu, but wish I could get that performance while playing!

When session starts, FPS is stuttery and low for perhaps 1 minute, then it smooths out.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies! I guess my question was more specific to MSFS. Do you enable Vsync in the game options there and, if so, do you enable the 30 or 60 FPS cap?

I have vsync off in MSFS.

Vsync On doesn’t appear to change much for some reason. I recall it still exceeding 60fps, though monitor is 120hz, so it’s possible the 60 really means ‘1 interval’ and 30 means ‘2 intervals’. If I set it to 30, it does limit fps to something lower, but not 30 for me. In any case, I leave it off.

It’d be nice if the game had some way to run in exclusive full screen. But it seems like UWP games like those found on the windows store generally can’t for some reason?

TL;DR: When G-Sync is active in windowed mode, the game’s menus are okay, but the game itself grinds to a near halt with 3 fps.

I’m getting odd G-Sync behaviour that I cannot replicate in any other game.

If G-Sync is enabled in Windowed Mode, the game’s menu’s work fine with acceptable frame rates, G-Sync is on (i.e. G-Sync Indicator Display is activated and showing on-screen) and the GPU is running as expected

However once I’m inside a plane, the G-Sync Indicator Display is still showing, but the game drops to an unplayable 3 fps, and the GPU usage drops to below 10%. If I Alt Tab and select a different non-game window, the frame rate improves substantially and the GPU reactivates and run at close to 100%.

If I click back into the game (i.e activate the game window), G-Sync activates for that window and FPS & GPU usage drops. If I click to another window, G-Sync turns off again and repeats the same behaviour as above.

If I change G-Sync to only be active in Full Screen or turned off completely, the game runs fine (albeit with Variable Refresh rate not activated).

In effect, when G-Sync is active in windowed mode, the game’s menus are okay, but the game itself grinds to a near halt.

Is anyone experiencing similar G-Sync related issues?

PC Specs:
i7-8700K / GTX 1080Ti / 32Gb RAM / Dell Alienware AW3420DW (G-Sync)
Nvidia Drivers 452.06 (18 Aug 2020)

Oddly enough I can’t find flighsimulator.exe in my NVidia Control Panel Manual settings. Tried adding it manually and stuff but no joy…anyone got any pointers?

I think you have to down load the latest drivers. 452.06 . it is listed as Microsoft Flight Simulator with a generic icon. Under Manage 3D settings Program settings.

Thank you for the reply! I’d love to replicate your steps so I can confirm with you the same happens. I do know that Gsync doesn’t work as intended for me and the only viable solution, thus far, is enabling Vsync in the game options and capping at 60FPS.

Quick question. How do you enable the G-Sync indicator display? If I do that, then I can let you know if my testing proves the same outcome.

Also, does Microsoft Support or anyone from Microsoft ever frequent these forums? I’d love to get their official word so many of us aren’t just chasing our tails in circles. I just want to hear, “We are aware of issues with users with G-Sync monitors, etc., and are working on a fix in an upcoming patch” or a viable, consistent workaround. It’s difficult when we’re all leaning on each other and wasting time if there isn’t a viable current workaround any of us can come up with and only Microsoft patching or updating the issue is the answer.

Don’t use in game Vsync also do not limit it in NV control.

Select set up G-Sync on the left under display, along the top bar you will see File desktop Display … select Display in will be in the dropdown …G-Sync indicator.

I for one am having no issues with G-Sync that I can tell or see.

What do you mean by do not limit in in NV Control? Managed 3D settings -> Max Frame Rate -> Off? Or for G-Sync, ensure you are selecting Enable for windowed and full screen mode and not just Enable for full screen mode?

What are your specs? FYI, I have the latest drivers, the ones that specifically call out MSFS Game Ready. I have all settings at High except Buildings and Trees at Ultra. 3440x1440, 16 gig RAM, game on SSD, RTX 2070 GPU, i7-6700k.

G-Sync enabled for full screen and windowed mode.

Max frame rate off.

I7 6700k @ 4.5
32G ram @3200
SSD
1080TI @ 2025
3440x1440

My temps max temps are 55c GPU and 55c CPU all water cooled.

Run a mix of Ultra,High medium and low. LOL FPS 35-47 take off and landing… 52-68 wile flying in or out of cockpit. . Most my testing done in the Seattle Washington area. at 170-230 KTS. in the TBM 930

Thanks WeGone103. To you and others, I also want to rule out the version of the game as I know that sometimes, games in the Windows Store / Xbox Store on PC have issues but Steam users have no problems. Are you using the Xbox / Microsoft Store version or Steam? I have the Microsoft Store version, FYI.

I’ve done everything outlined here and Microsoft Flight Simulator is the only game I have that the G-Sync indicator doesn’t ever display on my monitor. Halo Master Chief Collection, DOOM Eternal, Hitman 2. They all have the G-Sync indicator. I don’t have anything at all with MSFS. I’ve done everything anyone here has outlined. I don’t know if this was because I had the Alpha in the past, which I uninstalled before installing the current / final release. Something is wrong though, surely.

Windows Store version, On my monitor the on off button displays in red when G-sync is enabled. I have used the display method from NV control and it does display I just don’t care to see it overlay-ed on my screen.

Monitor- AW3418DW

1 Like

I too have the AW3418DW! Very interesting that we are getting very different results. Lastly, Windows 10, Graphics Settings, do you have Variable refresh rate checked (as well as Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling)? And when you turn on the OSD for the AW3418DW for frame rates, does your stay stuck at 120? Mine never moves with MSFS but works fine with all other games and applications.