[GUIDE] VR Settings Guide for Nvidia 3070 and Quest 3

Notice for anyone finding this in the future: I have since upgraded to a 4070 super, much of this guide may still be helpful, but I’ve found with the new card (with higher VRAM) you don’t need to fanangle with all these custom settings as much. Now all I do is use oculus tray tool to set ASW to 45Hz. My Nvidia profile is set back to the default settings defined by the driver

I’ve written up an extensive guide for how I found good performance in VR, you can find it on github here.

Main things to know if you want to embark on this journey, my guide is focused on cockpit readability and utilizing the ASW setting at 45hz. You can always turn it off but I wasn’t getting a solid 72fps comfortably enough. This will also reduce the fps you would usually get from using DLSS Performance and High Performance settings, at the benefit of being able to read the instruments more clearly.

3 Likes

How much heat does it produce when you use the Quest 3? I have a 3070 and my Rift S can make it feel like I have a small heater beside me. I can’t imagine what the Quest 3 would do. Now I have 6 fans and my CPU is cooled via a Radiator. Just worried if so upgrade I may be signing a death warrant on my PC/Video card.

VR is gonna push any machine. My 4070ti runs near 100% so its pumping out heat

@Lotharen7659 The heat from the Quest3 itself is barely noticeable. The fan is silent but keeps it where I can wear it for hours. It is warm only on the outside areas facing front. If you do get a Quest3, also purchase the app called Virtual Desktop which makes the wireless connection to your PC very reliable but you also need to purchase a $60USD or so (recommended by the Virtual Desktop discord) second router (setup as an Access point with 1Gbps cabling to the PC) so you can operate without a cable to your PC at high speed. I have a 3080ti and run at 36 or 40 FPS sometimes using Virtual Desktop(VD) Spacewarp(SSW) to smooth out the frames at Godlike resolution so I’m not sure what you will be able to do with a 3070 - if the GPU gets hot you might need liquid cooling but I don’t think the Quest3 could make it run any hotter than already plus you could remote yourself by a few feet and have your HOTAS further away from the PC heat box since you can use Virtual Desktop to control the PC remotely switching to PC desktop at any moment by using the Quest3 controllers.

I have a temp limit on my GPU at 83C and it usually doesn’t reach that temp. But yeah, the whole room heats up and that’s pretty normal.

I did not know you could do that. Is that in the Nvidia control panel?

It’s a setting in MSI Afterburner

Thanks for making the effort to post your 3070 settings. I’m pretty impressed that you can get good PCVR with your Q3/rtx3070. Well done mate and cheers!

Thanks! I have since moved up to a 4070 because I wanted increased fidelity, but I was surprised myself with what I was getting out of the 3070. Being ok with using DLSS is really the key it seems, and some aircraft are just not as compatible with that because of the way their displays render.

1 Like

What about openxr toolkit today?
AS OF 2024, SUPPORT FOR OPENXR TOOLKIT IS DISCONTINUED. THERE IS NO NEW DEVELOPMENT AND NO TECH SUPPORT OF ANY SORT. THE DEVELOPER DOES NOT RECOMMEND TO INSTALL/USE OPENXR TOOLKIT, AS IT IS KNOWN TO CAUSE ISSUES WITH MANY OF THE NEWER GAMES RELEASED IN SINCE 2024.
Should I use it?

1 Like

Like so many aspects of MSFS which depend on so many different user systems, there is no definitive answer to this question. For me, with my i7 12500 KF and RTX 4070ti (16gb) it makes quite a positive difference to smoothness. Being able to adjust settings ‘on the fly’ is very handy. It’s a matter of trial and error to see what works with your particular system.

1 Like

For those who have questions, I don’t understand why you don’t use Virtual desktop??? the price? I can understand, but at 20 euros, you double your Fps and your fluidity!

Even better, no Fov so no blurry edges!

I have been in VD for 1 year now and I tried to go back to open XR toolkit and debug tool (tool that I used with my old xeon…) it is impossible to go back today.

With my ryzen 7 5800x, my 32 GB of DDR 4 ram and my 2080 super 8 GB I run at 80 Fps under VD, with ultra in FS!

Ditch open XR Toolkit, it’s good for small PCs, not others! and above all drop the Meta link which is clearly not in focus.

I run BOTH VD and OXRTK - they aren’t incompatible and I like some features of OXRTK. If you ever want to see if OXRTK is helping or not, you simply revert to 2D in MSFS, disable OXRTK with its Companion app, then go back to VR.

PC=9700K@5Ghz, 3080ti, wifi6e@2.4Mbps

I also use both VD and OpenXR Toolkit, works well for me with my 4090. I like the resolution override feature, turbo mode, CAS sharpening, and the colour adjustments within the toolkit, just to name a few.

I understand the software is no longer supported, however, I still find it useful and continue to use whilst able and serves a purpose.

Ya, I agree with all that. There is no one-only option that will fit and work best for everyone. If you hear anyone saying that their setup is the only one worth doing, and all others or s**t, just ignore those posts imho.

Man, I must be doing something wrong. I find VD’s latency so poor and it’s clarity so inferior that it’s really not an option (medium RTX 3080, i9 12700k). I’ve sampled many resolution variances with no comparison to Toolkit’S results. But I know others have had the opposite results and I really want to go all in with VD. I’ll continue to to tinker.

If you like to tinker, you’ve come to the right place, lol!

1 Like

For VD it is imperative to have the best possible wifi.

Without wifi 6 no salvation…

For my part, VD is well above (in Quest 2 for other headphones I don’t know), no FOV with blurred edges, compression can go up to 240 instead of the compression limitation of 200 by the openXR from meta (meta with debugtool only knows H264 and H265, VD includes HEV 10bit and AV1 for quest 3)

Dynamic compression, SSW much more efficient than that of oculus debug tools (no artifacts in my case with SSW); with oculus debug tool and openxr Toolkit I climb painfully to 45 fps in 72 hz, with VD I go up to 80 in 90 hz, and I can even push to 120 hz (start of some freezes in this case).

Does not freeze or only slightly compared to Meta, even in link (I have much more connection bugs with link than with VD…).

As already shown previously, I run at 80 FPS with a 2080 super 8GB and a Ryzen 7 5800x, nothing exceptional!

So for Quest headsets, VD is almost mandatory for those who want a clear, fluid and fast image.

Finally, I repeat that in my case I deactivated opentXR Toolkit (in addition to the FOV with the blurred edge, open XRtoolkit added a background to the entire image with VD…), and I do not only uses VDXR.

1 Like

I don’t use openxr toolkit anymore. I just set the oculus tray tool to be 45hz ASW because that’s what I prefer for smoothness.

1 Like

Ya, same with Air Link. When I updated my +7yo wifi5 router to a wifi6 (not 6e) router 1 year ago I couldn’t believe how much better wireless PCVR got.