Guimbal Cabri G2 camera

Is there a way to remain in the cockpit of the Cabri and convert the LCD display in the dash to a downward facing camera angle? I have a terrible time landing as I can’t see the ground and I think it’s cheating to go to drone view so I can see where I am in relation to mother earth… any thoughts are welcome!

Have you considered some form of head tracking whether that be VR or TrackIR -assuming you do not already?

I personally use this method : alt gr + mouse left click with pointer on the display
.You’ll get a pop-up of that screen

Hi Blitzer… your response is a just nip it in the bud answer… and I did get a Reverb G2, which I love using. But, to use it, I have to disconnect one of my DPs and plug the G2 in and reboot. Sometimes it feels like a hassle and sometimes I don’t want 100% immersion. I have to be in the mood for it. I do like the quick go to panel cockpit for general simming. But, your workaround is a good solution !

Hey CrazyHorse,

Thanks for this! I tried Alt + g +r and left click on the display. Nothing happened. Is that what you meant? Or, am I not in the know as to what a gr key set is? Thanks for your help!

Oh, I see what you mean… you missed the second part of my question. I don’t want a pop out of the LCD display, I just wanted to know if you could make it show a downward facing camera, like some planes have when landing. Your idea just pops the same display out to the cockpit window. I don’t need that.

Restated question:

Can I assign the downward external camera view to a cockpit view on my yoke control? If so, do you know what the param is? I see in my control settings, each of the view areas, cockpit/external use the same param callouts.

I can see the issue of convenience you face. I only use a single screen so my headset is always plugged in and does not take much effort to get up and running (I always fly in VR these days).
I face a similar issue as I have Virpil stick which I specifically use for helicopters. Unfortunately, I have a corner desk so I have to reconfigure my set-up to fly helicopters. The only thing that really works in this sense is dedicating my sim use for fixed wing or helicopters for longer periods rather than flip-flopping between layouts -something you might consider for VR use…

That said VR and helicopters are a great combination, the depth perception and situational awareness you gain really does help with flying helicopters well. Other forms of head tracking are certainly better than a fixed view (or using a hat switch) to look around fluidly.
Another ‘tip’ (again if this is not something you do), is approaching your landing spot more or less diagonally to gain a better view. Not really needed for landing on a runway, but for helipads it can make the process easier. :+1:
Note I have not flown the Cabri (or any helicopters really) for a few months now so do not really recall what the view out of the cockpit was like. :thinking:

1 Like