Handcrafted Airport Issues

Hi All,
Starting the thread for listing issues with handcrafted airports

General Issues, across all

1. Low FPS in general

Airport Specific

Charles de Gaulle

1. Very low FPS
  2. While taxying to 8L from Gate 18 Medium and while crossing the bridge over road hit an invisible wall that prevents from moving forward even an inch
  3. One Taxiway line leading to this bridge will lead to rear right landing gear hit barriers and is clearly incorrect
3 Likes

Itā€™s been like this since the beginning of the sims release.Unfortnately itā€™s poorly optmised.
Reason I donā€™t fly there.
Not sure if itā€™s a result the sim has to load up too many polygons.From what I can see its cpu intensive.
Since the last few patches it tells me Iā€™m limited by gpu bound sitting @LFPG but the dev mode isnā€™t accurate about it.When I check the task manager the temps on my gpu drops so does the fanā€™s rpm.
Something is definitely wrong with some of these airports.
What Cpu are you currently running?

I have a piddly CPU i5-5800 and there are things like hitting an invisible wall or incorrect taxi markings as well that are about scenery itself.

i5 8400 here looks like we both are due for a cpu upgrade unless someone with a 10900k can confirm they have the same issue.
Pandemic has made it hard for me to upgrade.

Sorry i5-8400 here as well, sorry for the typo

8400 only runs @3.79ghz in this sim thatā€™s a bottleneck alone.It only has 6 threads probably why the sim stutters.Mine is over 2 years old and is starting to show itā€™s age.Its also a huge bottleneck in Xplane 11.
10900k on my list to upgrade or the ryzen 7 5000 chip.A better cpu should reduce the issue.

unfortunately itā€™s not only the paris airportā€¦ like all the other medium or large size hand crafted airportsā€¦

same, i run with 10700 and rtx3080. it says itā€™s gpu bottleneck but tbh it isnā€™t I feel like.

When in fact its really not.One of the biggest give away is when you notice a drop in your GPU temps.

exactly mateā€¦ it shows ā€œlimited by gpuā€ and 99% gpu usage in msi afterburnerā€¦ but this is absolutely a bug. cuz my 3080 never reaches 1950mhz when itā€™s fully utilisedā€¦ (usually when 99% usage the gpu clock goes down to 1830~1850ish, 1900+mhz is only possible when the gpu core is utilised below 90% or so)

Performance issues at handcrafted has been an issue since release. The other airports are terrible as well, too bad you canā€™t disable them.

At this stage the best thing to do is avoid flying at those airports. I wonā€™t be surprised if payware versions of these airports roll out with better performance but its not a viable solution. These need to be fixed but I donā€™t expect them to anytime soon.

Has anyone tried payware airports available at the marketplace by Flightbeam/Flytampa/Orbx? I wonder how do they fare performance wise.

All of the Handcrafted airports I have performance issues starting from the worst using the Standard version:
1.LFPG.Sitting at the gate is a power point point presentation when facing the terminal.Takeoff on my setup is almost impossible.
2.KJFK and KLAX runs a bit better but suffers with stutters also facing the camera to the terminal and during takeoff and landing.
4.KSEA.Very smooth when sitting at the ramp minor stutters. Takeoff in anything fast is where I begin to face issues with heavy stuttering.I will shift the blame partly to my CPU.
The rest of handcrafted airports shipped with the standard version I have no issues with.Going to see what else is using up CPU resources and take it from there.

I will be getting the flightbeam KPDX probably today.Will be my first payware purchase.No issue with their KPDX in X-PLANE 11
@xisumervoid Its a shame X-PLANE runs with Vulkan and the MFS2020 payware KPDX runs better!

FlightBeam KPDX runs just as good as the default version thatā€™s not handcrafted .Even better than the handcrafted airports.I turned on the dev mode for a sec fps was around 42-45
Asobo can possibly get their default airports better optimised. Decided Iā€™d move the drone camera to see if I can get any stutters its butter smooth.Next test takeoff
Slight choppy on takeoff nowhere as bad as the handcrafted airports.Looks like the choppiness was a result of my GPU hitting high temps.Overall Iā€™m very satisficed with this purchase!

That helps, thanks.

1 Like

No problem glad it did. Encourages me to get more payware airports.Means Asobo has work to do with those airports.

I was actually betting on payware being far better than handcrafted ones and as a result decided on going for the basic version.

Idea was to invest the delta between basic and premium deluxe to get add-ons, which by the track record so far, across all sims and all their versions, made me feel will be required anyway. Essentially, it saves a small amount of $$ one will invest in them coming years.

It seems that assumption may just be right. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thatā€™s what I did. Think I will stick with the standard version in the meantime and probably invest in more payware airports. Iā€™m not fully sure whatā€™s going on with the handcrafted airiports. Whatever its doing its saturating a CPU thread causing that ā€˜ā€˜limited by mainthreadā€™ā€™ issue.Its something that can be fixed.Has to be something in the code.I could be wrong.What will fix this a 6ghz cpu lol

1 Like

LPMA has issues with the ā€œundulatedā€ taxiways (more like bumpy ones).