Handcrafted airports world tour (Leg 23 update)

Leg 19 - VQPR-VVTS

Departed: 07:55z (RWY 15)
Arrived: 11:34z (RWY 25R)
Weather: Scattered clouds at 5,000ft on departure; scattered clouds at 3,000ft on arrival
Aircraft: Airbus A320neo

Route: VQPR N0447F370 DCT BOGOP DCT GGT W53 KKU DCT KL DCT MDY DCT CMA A464 BKK R468 SAPEN SAPEN2M VVTS
Approach: ILS-Y 25R (TSH transition)

Remarks:

• Our destination for this flight (VVTS) isn’t one of the handcrafted airports, but is a necessary stopover on our way to Sydney, Australia; as far as I’m aware, there’s no plane capable of taking off from VQPR that would have had the range to travel the full distance to Sydney non-stop!
  • I had to have a couple of attempts at departure for this one…1st attempt, I used the excellent new A320neo performance calculator (SimSmart), but didn’t consider the rapidly rising terrain on take-off, so my CONF 1+F Vspeeds used up far too much of the runway, with painful consequences… I corrected this on my 2nd attempt, but then was a little too trusting of the ATC I was using (Pilot2ATC) and got directed into a mountainside. On my final (successful!) attempt, I did the sensible thing and ignored ATC instructions and flew the departure visually, tracking the valley until I was at sufficient altitude to regain my course.
  • The arrival was relatively uneventful, although I’m convinced ATC switched runways on my as I was on final approach, so I ended up landing on 25R instead of the originally planned 25L…

Ready for the challenging visual departure from Paro…

Finally out of the mountain valleys and on our way

Beautiful view of the Himalayan range over the wing

Crusing over Myanmar

Turning eastwards as we cross over Bangkok

Sunset in Vietnam

Parked up at Tan Son Nhat International Airport

Distance completed: 16,750nm      Distance remaining: 29,841nm