Hard time flying the new helicopters

Any luck? Any new idea?

Its worth remembering that by all accounts flying a helicopter in real life is difficult. Its always made to look easy but it takes a lot of practice and technical knowledge. That combined with the fact that an Xbox controller and even your average HOTAS set up just isn’t the way you fly them perhaps helicopters were always going to be quite a challenge in the sim., and certainly evidently more of a challenge than some people expected.

I did the trim binding trick people here recommended last night and it definitely made a big difference. Practice makes perfect I guess.

1 Like

Thx for the comment but this is something wrong. I can’t fly! I know how to fly heli, I flying heli in MSFS more than a year right now. This is a bug and is frustrating this happened to some, me also. We reported a bug you don’t have it. I can fly on H135, H145, H125, R44 but not new helis from last update. We can’t do anything about it. I trying everything but this is not pilot error.

2 Likes

Well, heli support has only been added now, so all older helis are using some workarounds to make it somehow work iiuc. Guess a lot of re-learning has to happen with the proper systems in place now.

That’s right. But did you see the video posted how new heli reacting for me? I have friend with the same setup. He flying without problems, I have not control of the heli at all. This is not possible that I do something wrong. This is the bug someone have, some not. I will try re-installing new helis now and see if this helps some how.

Edit: did not help

1 Like

A helipilot once described it to me as being like trying to balance a football on top of another football.

1 Like

Will run the sim right now and try to lift off with keyboard to see

I have tried using default profiles, default sensitivities, all assists off and modern fight model. They fly ok, need some small tweaks imo but that’s probably more to do with my cheap joystick than anything. Essentially they work as intended.

1 Like

No problems here either. You need to trim but these things are pretty stable. Easier to fly than the x-plane helicopters I last flew but still challenging.

the msfs helis are scam. disabled all addons, reseted all bindings, used msfs bindings for gamepad(helicopters) and got same result as in your video. no way to get those msfs helis to fly.
4 hours for nothing LOL

1 Like

Nothing works

It’s not a Xbox controller issue. Tried to lift off with keyboard and had the same result, spinning round and round

1 Like

Giving away stuff for free … some scam that is :smile:

2 Likes

Could be a bug in the sim, but then again helis behave like there’s a mass hanging under pivot point that is near the rotor hub. I can see pendulum effect in the video that looks kind of consistent with the physics, but what would give the pendulum so much energy? Options: (1) some kind of trim in cyclic maybe, so center position is not neutral (check control mappings, curves etc.), (2) bug in ground detection, so left and right side get different ground effect (enable airflow viz and look for differences), (3) strong head/tail wind would create asymmetric lift (but heli would start to drift with wind), (4) asymmetric mass (pilot & passengers on the same side?, fuel?), (5) something else? I couldn’t replicate your video by doing similar collective only takeoff. I get the expected increase in speed to one direction and then it keeps accelerating. First slowly, then speeding up after a second or two. I also need to add pedals to keep nose pointing in the same direction (I didn’t see that in your video). Using or not using cyclic/pedal assists didn’t recreate your flight. Looks like a bug to me.

1 Like

Set your pedals to a default profile and default sensitivities

Yeah, something is definitely not right there. I just tested the same scenario. When I try to take off with collective only, this happens:

As expected it starts yawing to the right until I stabilize it with rudder input. No crazy oscillations like in your videos. Strange … the only cause I can think off causing that is a noisy controller axis with no dead zone counteracting that.

2 Likes

But You can fly! I can’t. Collective up and heli going left and right and more left and more right starting dancing like I have wind from 4xdirections, not control at all. You have control after, I don’t. I just reinstall Hotas Warthog drivers, maybe this will help. Also will try default sensitivity settings, we will see.

4 Likes

Dude what about we create a telegram group for users who suffering to fly helis, please share your configs

1 Like

Not using Telegram, but here are my controls:

I control helicopters with the same controls as fixed wings using the Thrustmaster Airbus Joystick and Throttle Quadrant: I have the stick set to the aileron and elevator axis to control the rotor (the so called cyclic for going left, right, forward, backward), the throttle lever to the throttle 0 to 100 axis to control the collective (prop blade angle for going up and down) and a twist grip set to the rudder axis for, well, controlling the rudder (tailrotor). On top of that I assigned the Longitudinal Rotor Trim to the coolie hat on my stick to relieve the pressure required on the stick to keep flying forward.

I haven’t checked yet if you need to control the engine RPM in the Asobo helicopters, or if they are governed automatically, but they flew fine without it, at least when starting with a running engine on the runway. Might be required for engine start from cold & dark, at least in the Bell 407.

Assistances for cyclic and rudder/tailrotor are off.

https://t.me/+xkSw_sn1En5mM2Jh

It’s already created if anyone is interested, so we can try to find a way