Hard time flying the new helicopters

Having a hell of a time with the new helicopters. ■■■ soon as the skids leave the ground it’s like I am in a bucket that is swinging out of control. I am using a light touch along with pedals. Not having a hard time with yaw, just the overall stability. Any suggestions? Maybe it’s my joystick settings?

5 Likes

you need a reactive joystick and small movements … it takes some getting used to but you will get there. Reduce dead zones as much as your controls let you, ideally there’s none.

Totally agree. Struggled at first, but made a first proper flight with the Bell now. It helps to assign the new trims for rotor lateral and longitudinal axes.

2 Likes

Also check assistances. Some may be on.

2 Likes

I did reassign the rotor axes to the joystick. Is there also a trim function I am missing?

These are all off. I mean I am falling to the left or right within 1 or 2 feet off the ground.

I have one of my hat switches mapped to these. Works perfect. Keeps your joystick centered and allowing to make small inputs only.

5 Likes

Just had my very first flight with a Heli in this sim, stunning :+1: :slight_smile:
I am really impressed! Flew 1 hour around new york.

Maybe tomorrow i try to record a video, today way too much traffic :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

My brain has never comprehended flying helis very well. They’re tough, no doubt about it. I successfully landed on a building today, which was pretty cool. Took me a long time to land though. I was all over the place. :joy: Maybe I’ll keep practicing and see if I can get better.

Its taking some getting used to coming off flying the H145 a lot. I guess that had a lot of fly by wire assists plus of course was just an approximation of heli physics in the sim since it was a long way pre this update. Anyway The H145 is much, much easier.

Its certainly a complex business flying a helicopter.

Like other mentions, if you set up the trim bindings it becomes way better, I’m enjoying the Bell and Cabri so far, they are about where I expected, I’m very happy. I cant wait till the H145 get these physics mounted and sorted… Sounds like it might take some time tho, we’ll see.

1 Like

I hope they add tutorials for helicopters in the future.

1 Like

I can’t control heli at all! I was flying H135 and H145 without any problems! With new helis when I take off they are dancing in the sky without any control! Trying everything with setting but new helis are unflyable for me :frowning:

1 Like

Probably going to set the HOTAS throttle to collective and use the rocker for throttle? Haven’t gotten to play with it yet to see if the Bell is governed throttle.

Maybe I’m doing something completely wrong, but from my understanding just increasing the collective it shouldn’t have the helicopter oscillate like that. Just for clarification, I’m only increasing the collective and this happens, I’ve tried many things but I can’t gain control of the heli.

1 Like

Same here. H145 is much easier.

This exactly happened to me! Not control at all.

1 Like

I am having that same issue XBOX SX and as soon as I pull thre collective to 40% is just spins me in a circle.

1 Like

If you have an Xbox controller connected try with it disconnected. I have no problem taking off even with all assists off, so there seems to be something wrong with your controllers.

I’ll try after wake up. Maybe those kind of bug resolved unplugging and plug-in again, let’s see

1 Like