Has Asobo Said Anything about why Liveries no longer work like they did?

Has Asobo said anything about all the issues caused by the latest “update”, particularly why liveries no longer work as they did?

(yes I’m aware of all the “fixes”).

According to the November 5 2020 Development Update it is under investigation and the release is currently to be decided.

Well, considering they haven’t released the livery pack yet, I guess they are making some changes under the hood. So until that package is released, We won’t find the proper way of adding liveries (or the current proper way).

If I remember correctly, some of the aircrafts had issues regarding liveries (like the 747 with the mirror thing)

In the developers update they did say that they had made some changes to the models and ths may be some of it

I heard a rumor they were no longer going to release thd livery pack? That the community basically did it for them?

I would LOVE IT if they remapped the textures and got rid of the reflected portions.

1 Like

I read that in the last Q&A they mentioned it. But I didn’t see it so I can’t guarantee…

A lot of the aircraft models have the reflected textures, even the C152… That will need a change to the model unfortunately. Hopefully they can do something.

First, off, they fixed liveries issue I asked about. I never implemented the “model” fix on anything, nor did I upgrade any texture sets, and they all work now. I’d love to know what they broke, and I’d also LOVE to have a step by step SDK on how community addons for airplanes work. Why does a flightsim.cfg not work when packaged with my livery, but when I create a standalone package, it works? Same files, same setup (but no aircraft.cfg). It makes no sense to me.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you mean, however, about reflected textures? Is there a problem related to this subject that we’re anticipating going forward? I see no difference in the reflectiveness of my textures in 1.20.11.0 (I just saw someone hint that’s not the latest current version, is that true?)

As a side note, I am definitely no expert on materials, but, as I understand it, there is a difference between “chrome” which would be modeled base I believe, but I’m not sure, and reflective at the degree that the C-152 exhibits, that’s part of the Normal and Comp maps. So, for instance, I can’t make the spinner on the C-152 look chrome like the C-172 has. So I don’t know that anything needs to be changed here, we are stuck with not being able to make some surfaces chrome without access to the model, but that’s always been the case with PBR. I may be totally wrong on this, I’d love to be corrected and have a better understanding.

1 Like

Ahh not reflections (like mirrors), but textures that are used on both sides of the aircraft. Text written on the left hand side for example is reversed on the right hand side.

Ahh :rofl:

Yeah… :sob:

However, I do believe there is some way of allowing us to create our own decals… possibly without having access to the model? I’ve seen hints about this, and, if you look at the Carenado PA44, all of its decals are really quite different from each other. And all of the developers are raving about the world that decals open up for them (of course they neglect to say how :roll_eyes:). If anyone has a link to how we can create decals of our own design and placement, I would LOVE to hear about it!

If you look at the Asobo model, there’s just a frame where the decal goes. But often the decal frame isn’t in the place we want it to be. Even the icing is a decal.

Yep. So… the question is, can we make our own decals anywhere on the model without having access to the model?

Only at the spot where they have defined the decal, which is only just big enough for their decals. Good if that’s all you need though.

So, it looks like Carenado used several different shapes of decals on each of their liveries. Did they just do a different model for each livery, changing the decal as they went?

I’m wondering, then, what’s the advantage of using a decal? It can cross panels, and you can draw it in 3D on the model?

I’ve seen a few times where developers have said decals are super powerful. Asobo said, it’s most efficient to reflect portions of a livery, and to use decals… ? Why would they leave repainters out in the cold? That doesn’t seem efficient to me.

To me, it WOULD be super powerful if repainters could create their own decals, then we wouldn’t be bound by the reflected panels (which I hate, too!).

Super easy for modellers, not so much for repainters without access to the model.

I guess the benefit is they can just paint on the decal directly, and can have higher detail I’d say too.

If you import the models to Blender you can see how it all works.

1 Like