Haze thicker than METAR value

Hello, here to report i’m having same issues as well.

• too much consistent fog (3 of 3 flights fog were presents, despite in real weather was not);
  • clouds too much at a low level;
  • addictionally, i’m spotting heavy grainy textures for some clouds type! This issue was solved a few updates ago but now it’s back!

I spent some time in Southern California today (taking off from KSNA), where the seasonal Santa Ana winds are blowing hot dry clear air from the northeast today. This should result in crisp clear visibility, as any haze and low clouds are blown out to sea.

Instead, every city with an airport reporting clear visibility of 10sm was covered in a layer of haze.

I headed northeast past Ontario (KONT) towards Las Vegas, and found that as soon as I left the cities and airports behind, the air cleared right up. Haze only appeared in the distance in areas that I could see on my map were near airports reporting weather. Approached Henderson Executive close to Vegas, and the haze was very much back in action.

It really seems to be taking 10sm visibility to mean “lots of haze”, regardless of whether there even could be haze in that situation. This is very wrong, and means you can never get a clear-visibility approach at an airport that reports METAR observations without using custom weather!

Yeah, that’s a big part of the problem for sure. As soon as you approach an airport it reverts from the model weather to the METAR weather, and the METAR weather reads that 10sm visibility verbatim, even though it actually means 10sm or greater.

The METAR mist and haze looks great when it’s actually less than 10sm and there isn’t much variance between stations. Otherwise it just causes bubbles of 10sm mist all over the place or harsh transitions. I was flying around central CA today and I could tell when I was getting close to a towered airport because a blob of mist would appear.

Then there’s those clouds on the ground…

I’d love to see something like this in real life, looks awesome!

4 Likes

Keep voting, please, this issue doesn’t yet have any tags on it that suggest it is on Asobo’s radar. If you’re suffering from the excessive haze, please vote.

It is under Asobos radar ^^ They already posted that they are working on it, in another topic about it.

1 Like

Just chiming into to report that ground haze in most of the northern SoCal airports (KSBA, KIZA, KSZP, KCMA, KOXR, etc) I’ve flown into and out of is really overdone. We routinely have 10SM visibility, and IRL at these airports you can see a virtually unlimited distance. However, in the sim you can barely make out the runway while on 2 mile base due to the obscuring ground haze.

I end up having to just turn off live weather altogether to get it to look anything like reality, and that’s a shame for obvious reasons.

If there’s a place I can upvote this issue, please help me find the link! Thanks.

At the top of this thread right next to the title you should see a blue button that says ‘vote’.

This item was delivered in Sim Update 11 hotfix (1.21.17.0).